Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good low end pc games?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys heading off to london for November and ive only got a sony vaio to bring with me :( so im looking for some good games with low requirements, any recommendations ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

blood .. if you dont mind older games

fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

How low-end are we talking.

Like Half-life 1 ? or Half-life 2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Deus Ex
    Morrowind
    Baldurs Gate
    Neverwinter Nights
    Fallout 1&2
    Medieval Total War 1 or 2
    Call of Duty 1-5

I could go on.

How old is your laptop?

Any game in before or around the year of manufacture of your Vaio should be fine

lots of cheap ones on Steam plus they'll show you the games minimum specifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Age of Empires II or III

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can't go wrong with Minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Vargulf wrote: »
    Age of Empires II or III
    Absolute staple. Hours/days/weeks of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

not my laptop, but its only about 4 months old, dont ask what gpu it has as ive no idea :rolleyes: it has some i3 cpu in it though, any good indie games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Total Annihilation
    Rollercoaster Tycoon
    Theme Hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Medieval 2: Total War. It has literally eaten hours of my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Warcraft 3.
    Doom.
    Empire Earth.
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Painkiller
    Vampire the Masquerade
    Caesar 3
    Commando's 2&3
    Far Cry
    Rayman Forever
    Oddworld
    Serious Sam
    Might and magic: magic and mayham

...emm....Myst?

All I can think of :)

(protip: stay away from icewind dale)

• Advertisement

is titan quest easy to run? just checking my steam list to see what might :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Zork - text based adventure, it should be able to handle that :D

If you are a fan of the Sims then it should be able to handle the first sims game :)

Doom, enough said.

Quake, the origins of boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

is titan quest easy to run? just checking my steam list to see what might :D
    I think it's got fairly low requirements.

Check here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness lads he said it's only 4 months old so being that new, even with Intel integrated, it's well capable of running games far beyond what's being recommended. Blood? I mean, great game and all, but that ran effortlessly on my thinkpad with 4mb integrated......in 1999. :p

Not that there aren't good games being suggesting but I'd imagine he's looking for something a little more modern. COD4 should work pretty OK, and other games from around that timeframe - Bioshock original, COD4, Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, and other cracking and relatively modern games.

Anything beyond that though is likely to stutter.

thanks lads, any idea what gemini rue is like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In fairness lads he said it's only 4 months old so being that new, even with Intel integrated, it's well capable of running games far beyond what's being recommended. Blood? I mean, great game and all, but that ran effortlessly on my thinkpad with 4mb integrated......in 1999. :p

Not that there aren't good games being suggesting but I'd imagine he's looking for something a little more modern. COD4 should work pretty OK, and other games from around that timeframe - Bioshock original, COD4, Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, and other cracking and relatively modern games.

Anything beyond that though is likely to stutter.

Yeah if it is a new sandybridge i3 (ie like an i3-2310m) with HD3000 graphics then the likes of Left 4 Dead 1/2, COD4, Borderlands, DOOM 3, FEAR, Hawx, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Batman AA to name a few should be playable on moderate/low settings at a 1024X768 resolution.

this is the model of the laptop, i have no ideas what these laptops can do but i bet it aint much :( a month without my gaming rig using that pos.....the joy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

this is the model of the laptop, i have no ideas what these laptops can do but i bet it aint much :( a month without my gaming rig using that pos.....the joy

That link keeps redirecting for me?, but 71313M the seems to be an older gen i3-370 so it would have HD2000 integrated graphics, which are not as good as the latest sandybridge models but even still it should be able to play most if not all of the above.

Coming from a decent gaming rig it may offend your eyes at first of course :pac:

This is a guy playing fallout 3 on a last gen i3-350m for example (according to the description an i3 350M). Not overtly pretty of course but it works.

If in doubt about a particular game, if it can be done no doubt some guy will have already made a video and put it on youtube. :)

blood .. if you dont mind older games

fantastic stuff

God though, what a game. I feel bad for the kids growing up today who know nothing pre-Ps2/Xbox era.

marco_polo wrote: »
    That link keeps redirecting for me?, but 71313M the seems to be an older gen i3-370 so it would have HD2000 integrated graphics, which are not as good as the latest sandybridge models but even still it should be able to play most if not all of the above.

Coming from a decent gaming rig it may offend your eyes at first of course :pac:

This is a guy playing fallout 3 on a last gen i3-350m for example (according to the description an i3 350M). Not overtly pretty of course but it works.

If in doubt about a particular game, if it can be done no doubt some guy will have already made a video and put it on youtube. :)

Not to mention Fallout 3 is one of the finest games ever produced with at least 60 hours of gameplay (some, like my housemate, have invested 150+), so regardless at what level of visuals it runs, it's about as gripping, in depth, and time consuming as a game could ever hope to be. And if you can run it- which you evidently can- you have a solid answer to your month abroad.

• Advertisement

I love this thread for the fact that it has reminded me of a number of seriously good classic games I need to get my hand on again, like Morrowind, Commandos, AOE to name but a few.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I love this thread for the fact that it has reminded me of a number of seriously good classic games I need to get my hand on again, like Morrowind, Commandos, AOE to name but a few.

Remember how we used to look at the Atari back in the days of super sprint and laugh? With the superior NES and games like 'Days of Thunder'? Someday, kids will laugh at us. With our pathetic 'Fallout 3', 'Battlefield 3', 'Modern Warfare 3'.....it's a startling thought, but, quite truthfully, it's inevitable. Just as we've seen Doom to Crysis, so will the younger generation see Crysis to something beyond our comprehension, and think....hahaha....they actually though Crysis looked good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

DarkJager wrote: »
    Medieval 2: Total War. It has literally eaten hours of my life :D

Then download some mods to lose more days

call of warhammer ftw :D

Remember how we used to look at the Atari back in the days of super sprint and laugh? With the superior NES and games like 'Days of Thunder'? Someday, kids will laugh at us. With our pathetic 'Fallout 3', 'Battlefield 3', 'Modern Warfare 3'.....it's a startling thought, but, quite truthfully, it's inevitable. Just as we've seen Doom to Crysis, so will the younger generation see Crysis to something beyond our comprehension, and think....hahaha....they actually though Crysis looked good....

It would be true except it won't happen because we will still be playing games then as well :p

In all seriousness though i replayed the original Half Life fairly recently and I think I enjoyed it even more than the first time around, I seriously wonder though if that would have enjoyed the experience if I was 10 years younger playing it for the first time (I'm just barely in the 30's now).

I think ultimately any great game suffers from that classic 'Citizen Kane' problem, in that everything innovative and revolutionary that made them great in the first place has been copied (and in most cases bettered in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

God though, what a game. I feel bad for the kids growing up today who know nothing pre-Ps2/Xbox era.

It's up to us, either as parents now or as future parents to ensure that kids get a good grounding in classic gaming so that they will appreciate games of the future. I have my 8 year old working through Zelda Link to the Past right now and it'll be Ocarina or Super Mario World next for her. My 5 year old isn't quite past the Lego Star Wars/Batman stages yet but soon he will be educated too. :)

ye think il be able to play new vegas? love that game but havnt even got to vegas in it yet?

Then download some mods to lose more days

call of warhammer ftw :D

any real must have mods for it? i have it on steam but never really got into it

ye think il be able to play new vegas? love that game but havnt even got to vegas in it yet?

It uses pretty much the exact same Gamebryo engine as FO:3 so I reckon it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Deus Ex - brilliant for it's time but takes a bit of getting used to but so worth it. The story is one of the best out there.

football manager - you can download updated transfers and teams for some of the older versions that keep them relevant and easy for lower power pcs to cope. Yours should be able to do the latest at a glance but be warned they're buggy as hell till after xmas and the January transfer window.

Personally you've got to try Rome total war, it never leaves my cd drive. Nothing like defending walls to the death against hordes of barbarians or unleashing elephants against packed roman legions or killing an enemy king with a flukey shot from a catapult. Or assassinating a pesky diplomat who is attempting to bribe away a city or wrecking an enemy army fleet at sea through your superior navy. It's massively detailed but you don't have to delve all the way to enjoy it. Another time a massive earthquake saved me as it killed about half of a enemy's entire armed forces which were marching to invade my land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

*Shameful plug* check my sig :)

Advertisement