Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Irish Bands

Options
  • 27-10-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

Inspired by a thread here a couple of months ago I've been listening to a lot of Irish music past and present.
    To be honest I'm quite shocked to have found such an amount of quality bands from this century established and up and coming.

I've been listening to (From memory):

The Script
    The Coronas
    Republic of loose
    The Blizzards
    Fox Avenue
    Delorentos
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Bell X1
    Miracle Bell

Many of these are only very new and growing but to me this seems like a very talented era in Irish music and I'd expect many will achieve success.

Any other good bands I'm missing out on?
    What do you make of this bunch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The Frank & Walters
    JJ72

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MaevelovesNY

I love all those bands too.You should check out The Kanyu Tree,Dirty Epics and El Hombre Jokes!They're all deadly ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

james vincent mcmorrow and cashier no.9 are probably doing the most interesting stuff at the moment. i like some of ham sandwich's new stuff. i guess id also add the frames and the swell season. and the first 4 bands on your list should die a long painful death

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MaevelovesNY

WinstonOno -- whatever about the script but come on The Coronas are AMAZING !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

WinstonOno wrote: »
    first 4 bands on your list should die a long painful death

The Script's debut album is incredible I think.
    The Coronas have 2 very solid albums to their name now.
    The Blizzards(Who I think have broken up) and Republic of Loose have quite mediocre albums but some very good singles.

Just my opinion, I'll check out those bands you all mentioned in due time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bedubaya

Benoit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTU2JsG7CSU

and for those who like something a bit heavier

Shardborne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrHjLFG128

fairly average i reckon, already running out of ideas on their 2nd record, ideas that were unimaginative and undeveloped to begin with.

bedubaya wrote: »
    Benoit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTU2JsG7CSU

and for those who like something a bit heavier

Shardborne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrHjLFG128
    Benoit have a nice sound,
    Shardborne...erm...not for me.
    fairly average i reckon, already running out of ideas on their 2nd record, ideas that were unimaginative and undeveloped to begin with.

I thought the Coronas kept the standard in their 2nd album, given that it wasn't 10/10 in the first place but I thought they both had enough depth to be rated fairly highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

james vincent mcmorrow and cashier no.9 are probably doing the most interesting stuff at the moment. ... and the first 4 bands on your list should die a long painful death

I don't get why you'd slag off those bands when you're saying James Vincent McMorrow is doing really interesting stuff... All bland.

Bands like Adebisi Shank, Enemies, The Redneck Manifesto, Spies, 19th Light, and Monto off the top of my head, all doing amazing stuff. And of course the classics like My Bloody Valentine and Rollerskate Skinny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Glad someone finally mentioned Adebisi Shank. They're unbelievable, it's hard to believe they're Irish sometimes.

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I don't get why you'd slag off those bands when you're saying James Vincent McMorrow is doing really interesting stuff... All bland.

Bands like Adebisi Shank, Enemies, The Redneck Manifesto, Spies, 19th Light, and Monto off the top of my head, all doing amazing stuff. And of course the classics like My Bloody Valentine and Rollerskate Skinny...
    mcmorrow has the potential to become something special. ill agree some of the stuff on his album was a bit samey, but some were standout, and some of the stuff thats not even on the album is great. with his voice and improving songwriting ability, i think he has big things ahead of him.

mcmorrow has the potential to become something special. ill agree some of the stuff on his album was a bit samey, but some were standout, and some of the stuff thats not even on the album is great. with his voice and improving songwriting ability, i think he has big things ahead of him.

Nobody's denying the guy can sing and write a tune, but you said he was doing interesting things. It's a lad with a guitar and a nice falsetto, like a zillion others all over the place. Not much interesting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Check out "O Emperor".

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

And So I watch You From Afar

Nobody's denying the guy can sing and write a tune, but you said he was doing interesting things. It's a lad with a guitar and a nice falsetto, like a zillion others all over the place. Not much interesting there.
    would you include jeff buckley in that???

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

would you include jeff buckley in that???

and Justin Vernon

Jeff Buckley has an incredible voice, not just a good one. And before him, there wasn't really anyone doing his thing, was there? There have been plenty since, and not very many anywhere near as good as him.

And as for Justin Vernon, look at the kinds of music and arrangements that Bon Iver are doing now - I was watching them on Jools Holland the other week, really incredible stuff. Compare with James Vincent McMorrow's slot on Jools, what was interesting about that?

tim buckley????
    jeff was a once off imo, the type of voice we'll never hear again. comparing anyone to him would kill them. theres not a vocalist around today that even comes close. mcmorrow is a new artist still finding his feet, and developing his sound. but ill say this, id be far more interested in hearing his next record than the coronas take 3, or the 'im singing for the working class but i look like an american kid' script

Temaz wrote: »
    The Frank & Walters
    JJ72

JJ72, just listened to them and I find their lead vocalist to be extremely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

simonmln wrote: »
    And So I watch You From Afar

fcking amazing music :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Some of my favourite Irish bands around at the moment

Butterfly Explosion (shoegaze/dream-pop)

God Is an Astronaut (post-rock)

Altar of Plagues (atmospheric black metal/post-metal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I know loads of bands and could be name checking them all but Tieranniesaur really stand out to me as a potentially amazing local band. Their live shows are class, their album is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Check out "O Emperor".

+1 to that. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No, the coronas are ok, but there's only so much yodelling you can take before it all gets too much. The script are by far the better musicians and writers and the singers voice is far superior. It's the same old problem of being cursed for their success, if they were a struggling band most people on here would be singing their praises.

if they were a struggling band most people on here would be singing their praises.

...Really? :pac:

...Really? :pac:

I think so, people are quick to write them off as they are "too mainstream" to actually be considered good.

No, the coronas are ok, but there's only so much yodelling you can take before it all gets too much. The script are by far the better musicians and writers and the singers voice is far superior. It's the same old problem of being cursed for their success, if they were a struggling band most people on here would be singing their praises.
    If Jedward were a struggling band would most people here be singing their praises?

There's far better bands out there than The Coronas and The Script both in the mainstream and the underground.

there sound is way way too over produced for my liking. you can barely hear the instrumentation, sounds more like a computer is playin the instruments than actual people. its horriblely bland and results in all their songs sounding the same, nothing stands out. i've seen them live a few times and it got boring very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Holy Shít Butterfly Explosion are Irish!!!

I love their music!

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Holy Shít Butterfly Explosion are Irish!!!

I love their music!
    Yep they're from Dublin. It puzzles me why they have quite a few fans around the world yet are almost unknown here. Great band though.

Advertisement