Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Irish Bands

Options
2»

Comments

You should check out Kodakid. My favorite up and coming band at the moment. Seriously good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yep they're from Dublin. It puzzles me why they have quite a few fans around the world yet are almost unknown here. Great band though.
    Yeah none of my friends know them and I've liked them for quite a while now

Probably should've checked where they were from tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yep they're from Dublin. It puzzles me why they have quite a few fans around the world yet are almost unknown here. Great band though.

Not the first time that's happened!!! The Cranberries could hardly get a gig here until they sold a million albums in the States.

Another one to watch out for is The Voodoos. A superb Cork based Rock Band, they're playing at the MTV awards in Belfast this weekend by virtue of winning a Europe -wide competition and coming top from 450 entrants. Great live act and they've been doing well in The States as well, supporting Queensryche on their 30th Anniversary tour.

Great comment on their Facebook page when they won the MTV competition "The friend in me says well done - The Irishman in me says Bastards!!!" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No, the coronas are ok, but there's only so much yodelling you can take before it all gets too much. The script are by far the better musicians and writers and the singers voice is far superior. It's the same old problem of being cursed for their success, if they were a struggling band most people on here would be singing their praises.

The singer from the Coronas has lately developed a rather odd speech
    impediment IMO, not unlike that paulo nuttini chap.

I like the Script.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Why do they sound so much like Talking Heads?

Its weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Cian A wrote: »
    Inspired by a thread here a couple of months ago I've been listening to a lot of Irish music past and present.
    To be honest I'm quite shocked to have found such an amount of quality bands from this century established and up and coming.

I've been listening to (From memory):

The Script
    The Coronas
    Republic of loose
    The Blizzards
    Fox Avenue
    Delorentos
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Bell X1
    Miracle Bell

Many of these are only very new and growing but to me this seems like a very talented era in Irish music and I'd expect many will achieve success.

Any other good bands I'm missing out on?
    What do you make of this bunch?
    There's so many great Irish bands and yet you've named the most middle of the road, blandest and uninteresting. If that's your taste in music, that's fair enough, each to their own, but to hold any of these bands up as the cream of modern Irish music is a disservice to the genuine talent that generally goes unnoticed here. Waterford alone has produced some fantastic bands (other than O Emperor) - see this thread.

I can guarantee you also that none of those bands will ever be "bigger" than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

these guys are irish and starting to make a bit of head way in america. supported nickelback recently. saw them live a few times, singers voice is pretty impressive live. not really what im into but think they deserve a meantion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

An update on The Voodoos following their performance at the MTV EMAs in Belfast on Sunday. Supported Boyce Avenue, Jason Derulo and Snow Patrol. Great video that money just couldn't buy for any young up and coming band..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sorry I had to rebirth this thread.

I'm after listening to a lot of Adebisi Shank, and for an instrumental rock band, they are incredibly good, I know they were suggested here before but I never got around to a listen until recently. I'm glad I did:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Cashier No.9, LaFaro and ASIWYFA are all excellent.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The republic of loose stand out foor me from that list. Apart from their last album , which seemed to have gone on some sort of bubblegum pop direction, they have produced quality stuff.
    Seen them live a few times and Mick Pyro is an awesome frontman he oozes x factor , not the squeeky clean ex factor but the kind of x factor you find in your sock after being out for run.
    I do begrudge the script a bit and in all fairness I should be saying fair play to them , I just find their stuff so bland .
    Republic of Loose are doing well around the world hopefully they will have a big breakthrough album next but its all just a matter of having the right people and money behind your album .

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

I think this guy is incredible. He's an18 year old from Newbridge.

http://soundcloud.com/mmoths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sorry I had to rebirth this thread.

I'm after listening to a lot of Adebisi Shank, and for an instrumental rock band, they are incredibly good, I know they were suggested here before but I never got around to a listen until recently. I'm glad I did:)
    Adebisi Shank are a damn good band. I've also been listening to Enemies lately, another Richter Collective band. Their 2010 album We've Been Talking is great album of instrumental math-rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

The Cast of Cheers, Jape, Lisa Hannigan, Whipping Boy are making a comeback, ASIWYFA...

Smaller local bands like I'll Eat Your Face, We Come In Pieces and Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters are going strong/on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

cloptrop wrote: »
    The republic of loose stand out foor me from that list. Apart from their last album , which seemed to have gone on some sort of bubblegum pop direction, they have produced quality stuff.
    Seen them live a few times and Mick Pyro is an awesome frontman he oozes x factor , not the squeeky clean ex factor but the kind of x factor you find in your sock after being out for run.
    I do begrudge the script a bit and in all fairness I should be saying fair play to them , I just find their stuff so bland .
    Republic of Loose are doing well around the world hopefully they will have a big breakthrough album next but its all just a matter of having the right people and money behind your album .

I absolutely love Republic of Loose, what a unique sound, I wish bands like that received the international recognition that they deserve. But then again I've heard that the music isn't even the half of the music business.
    Parsley wrote: »
    The Cast of Cheers, Jape, Lisa Hannigan, Whipping Boy are making a comeback, ASIWYFA...

Smaller local bands like I'll Eat Your Face, We Come In Pieces and Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters are going strong/on the rise.

I just got a Jape album so will listen to it soon

And So I Watched You From Afar was reccomended recently to me so I'll have to check them out soon.

Advertisement