Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouthing Problem

Options
  • 27-10-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a 4 year old filly. The owner told me she was just mouthed and not backed.

Before I started anything with her I got her mouth checked, the dentist found 1 wolf tooth and 2 hooks. Plus her molars were very sharp.

She is all checked out; the last few days I put on a bridle with the mouthing bit as I want her to salivate the bit. But this is not happening at all!!!:confused: The bit I'm using is a Brandon straight bar with keys.

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a 4 year old filly. The owner told me she was just mouthed and not backed.

Before I started anything with her I got her mouth checked, the dentist found 1 wolf tooth and 2 hooks. Plus her molars were very sharp.

She is all checked out; the last few days I put on a bridle with the mouthing bit as I want her to salivate the bit. But this is not happening at all!!!:confused: The bit I'm using is a Brandon straight bar with keys.

Help

Loopy I highlighted above as its not what you want thats important in this case. Some horses produce enough froth to fill a bucket and some don't.
    The important thing is that your filly is comfortable with the bit.

I have never used a straight bar with keys. I use a snaffle(generally a loose ring) as its what I will ride them in and never leave a bit in a horses mouth longer than I am working with them. A friend uses a straight bar and may leave it in for an hour or 2 a day.
    We both get horses who salivate and horses that don't but in the end we get soft mouthed horses who are comfortable with a bit.

So I would not worry about her not producing loads of froth. Keep going thru your plan and as long as she accepts the bit and is happy in her work you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Esroh wrote: »
    Loopy I highlighted above as its not what you want thats important in this case. Some horses produce enough froth to fill a bucket and some don't.
    The important thing is that your filly is comfortable with the bit.

I have never used a straight bar with keys. I use a snaffle(generally a loose ring) as its what I will ride them in and never leave a bit in a horses mouth longer than I am working with them. A friend uses a straight bar and may leave it in for an hour or 2 a day.
    We both get horses who salivate and horses that don't but in the end we get soft mouthed horses who are comfortable with a bit.

So I would not worry about her not producing loads of froth. Keep going thru your plan and as long as she accepts the bit and is happy in her work you should be fine

Hi Esroh,

Thanks for the reply. I changed her bit to a loose ring snaffle she is working really well, better than the straight bar. Thanks :D

Advertisement