Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a Dog Trainer

• 27-10-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my dog to a trainer tomorrow for a consultation. I am quite weary of trainers and their methods, anyone have any pointers on what I should look out for regarding his methods, really don't want to be doing more harm than good here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For starters are they listed on http://apdt.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What are you weary of? Who is the trainer? Are you going for basic obedience or are you going to problem solve?

If you feel uncomfortable with anything then say so, and ask questions. Why are they doing x, what other methods can get the same results etc.

If the trainer tries to physically reprimand your dog - and that includes lead corrections in my opinion - then I would leave immediately. There is no need for a trainer to hurt your dog or to make it feel unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DogsyBlanch

If you are based in Dublin there is a great dog training team at the DSPCA...

Otherwise I would just make sure it is a positive experience for your dog...that nothing hurts or scares them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Im also based in Limerick and have used 2 trainers and 1 behaviourist I can highly recommend 1 of the trainers & the behaviourist but the other 'trainer' I blame for most of my dogs issues (I also take note that I should of known better than to let him do what he did but I didnt). You can pm me if you would like further info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

tk123 wrote: »
    For starters are they listed on http://apdt.ie?

No?, wasn't even aware that there was a trainers association Ireland
    Whispered wrote: »
    What are you weary of? Who is the trainer? Are you going for basic obedience or are you going to problem solve?

If you feel uncomfortable with anything then say so, and ask questions. Why are they doing x, what other methods can get the same results etc.

If the trainer tries to physically reprimand your dog - and that includes lead corrections in my opinion - then I would leave immediately. There is no need for a trainer to hurt your dog or to make it feel unsafe.

I'm weary of the trainer, not because I have heard anything bad about him but simply because I have heard many horror stories from people who have gone to trainers thinking they are doing the right thing when really they are just making the problem worse.

<snip>
    If you are based in Dublin there is a great dog training team at the DSPCA...

No I am based in Limerick, but thank you anyway...:)

Otherwise I would just make sure it is a positive experience for your dog...that nothing hurts or scares them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, you can tell us the area you are in and people will recommend trainers for you. I left my dog boarding with an apdt certified trainer and she came home with a bite from another dog that had been allowed to become infected and was given a crazy story about a 'scratch' she got from a hedge. Personal recommendations are the way to go when it comes to choosing a trainer.

OP, you can tell us the area you are in and people will recommend trainers for you. I left my dog boarding with an apdt certified trainer and she came home with a bite from another dog that had been allowed to become infected and was given a crazy story about a 'scratch' she got from a hedge. Personal recommendations are the way to go when it comes to choosing a trainer.

I am in the Limerick/South Tipp area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is true tbh. There's one that's certified local to us that we bump into on walks etc and tbh they are the polar opposite to the (certified) trainers we know. None of the dogs we know will go near this person some of them including my guy are afriad of them - they're very vocal and "hands on" if you know what I mean.:mad: Compare to my dogs trainers at daycare - he adores them and so does every other dog in the place the dogs are just drawn to them - he runs to them when he seems them.:) I've never seen any dogs go near this local trainer..
    For us training is great fun - my dog's tail wags the whole time and he LOVES it - I love it too because I've learned how to work with him and I find it really rewarding when our work pays off.

Are you doing one to one or group sessions OP?

tk123 wrote: »
    This is true tbh. There's one that's certified local to us that we bump into on walks etc and tbh they are the polar opposite to the (certified) trainers we know. None of the dogs we know will go near this person some of them including my guy are afriad of them - they're very vocal and "hands on" if you know what I mean.:mad: Compare to my dogs trainers at daycare - he adores them and so does every other dog in the place the dogs are just drawn to them - he runs to them when he seems them.:) I've never seen any dogs go near this local trainer..
    For us training is great fun - my dog's tail wags the whole time and he LOVES it - I love it too because I've learned how to work with him and I find it really rewarding when our work pays off.

Are you doing one to one or group sessions OP?

Well tomorrow is just a consultation, I will see how it goes after that!
    I was more interested in doing group sessions as I think it would be fun for me and him (we are a 1 dog household) and he just loves other doggies:D. And also because after enquiring about 1 to 1 I realised the cost would be too much for me as a student. Also we don't have any massive issues, just a couple of bad habits that need curtailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    No?, wasn't even aware that there was a trainers association Ireland

There's 2 that I'm aware of, there's also Dog Trainers Assocciation of Ireland
    www.dtail.org

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can I confirm that this boarding facility was in the northwest of Ireland?

The reason I would like to confirm this is because neither APDT Ireland, nor APDT UK has any members in the northwest of Ireland.

I do, however, know of a dog trainer and boarder in the northwest of Ireland who is a lapsed member of the APDT US.

APDT US does NOT assess it's members in any way (it is introducing a vetting scheme now though). Up to this point, all a person has to do to become a member of the US APDT was pay the $100ish fee. Nothing more. I know several trainers in Ireland who paid to become members of the US APDT, but then generically call themselves "APDT Members" to coat-tail on the excellent reputation of the Irish and British organisations, when in fact they have never been assessed, and in some cases use deplorable training techniques and have very questionable ethics. The latter is clearly the case with your dog Adrenalinjunkie, and you have every right to report this trainer to the US APDT, although as I say, I am fairly sure she is a lapsed member as she cannot conform to their new, more strict criteria.

To contrast, APDT Ireland, and APDT UK have quite a rigorous assessment procedure in which applicants must sit a theory test, a practical exam, and an interview stage, to show that they understand canine learning theory, application of same, and that they only use dog-friendly training techniques. There is a Code of Conduct which, if breached, will result in disciplinary procedure and possible termination of membership.

I feel it important to clarify this here and now for fear of two very good organisations being tarred with the same brush as the American outfit. They share similar names, but in practical terms the Irish and UK organisations have a very different ethos to the American organisation.

OP, I will PM you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

At the end of the day , training should be fun for you and you dog. If it's not or you are uncomfortable with certain methods that your trainer is suggesting i would look elsewhere. if you PM me i can give you some suggestions for finding a trainer who emdodies what makes a trainer a great trainer in your neck of the woods.
    here would be my check list if i was hiring a trainer
    1st- clients concerns/training goals addressed and met
    2nd- effective techniques without wear and tear on the owners bond between the dog and owner,
    3rd- reward based techniques
    4th- a trainer that has knowledge of learning theory principles and opts to ultilise positive reinforcement as their primary method of teaching new skills to dog and God forbid it's owner.
    5th- make training fun and family friendly and ditch the ' you need to be alpha approach' as it's oh so misguided and non -sensical.

i'd be asking lots of questions and hopefully with the answers you can make an informed decision about what is best for your dogs temperament and well being .
    also, if you are looking to attend a class, i would as to audit a currently running class so you see first hand what techniques and exercises are taught Best of luck.

Advertisement