Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library query!

Options
  • 27-10-2011 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey there,

I was just wondering about requesting a book through Stella Search, how do you know if you're going to be allowed borrow it? For the past five times that I've requested a book and picked it up at the BLU counter I've been told that I only have it for five hours because it was a counter reserve book. This is so annoying!!!

How can you tell from the description of the book that is given on Stella Search that it's only a counter reserve and not a Lending one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If the shelf mark has LEN or S-LEN at the start it can be taken out. Are you requesting books from stacks? Because as far as I know all of those are counter reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

You may be confusing Counter Reserve books with books that are usually stored in the Ussher or Santry Stacks.

Counter Reserve books are shelved in a room at the back of the Issue Desk in the Berkeley Library, or beside the Issue Desk in the Hamilton Library. You can borrow up to four books at any one time from here, for a period of up to five hours, and these books cannot leave the Library.

You can send for books stored in the Ussher or Santry Stacks by clicking the "Request Stack Item" link either in the Stella or Classic Catalogue. When you send for a book in this way, you get an email when it has been delivered to the Issue Desk. Only Postgraduates and Staff Members can borrow these books, so if you are an Undergraduate, you can only use it within the Library and you must return it before the Issue Desk closes.

As previously pointed out, Undergraduates can only borrow books to bring home when the books have the shelfmark LEN or S-LEN. These books are to be found on the Open Shelves, where you can see them, and not in any Stacks storage areas.

When you use a Stacks book the Issue Desk will hold on to it for as long as you need it, but be sure to tell the Staff that you will need the book again when you return it. If a book is left unused for more than three days it will be returned to its place on the Shelf in Ussher or Santry Stacks.

It is a bit confusing for new Students all right, but you'll be surprised how quickly you get the hang of things. Keep asking questions at the Counters - especially at the Duty Librarians Desk until you do.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

Thanks guys,

Yeah I wasn't sure what shelf mark letters would tell me I could take it out. But now I know!

Cheers

Advertisement