Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

<mod snip> Very simple stuff. I hope anyways, otherwise I failed miserably.

mod edit: please don't disclose exam details,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

The exams for the different groups can be seen in a lab folder for everyone kerry4sam so no great biggy. ;)

Exam was a pleasant surprise alright, definitely not as difficult as I thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

AntiRip wrote: »
    The exams for the different groups can be seen in a lab folder for everyone kerry4sam so no great biggy. ;)

Exam was a pleasant surprise alright, definitely not as difficult as I thought it would be
    Yeah Web Design was pretty good , I had a complete and utter blank in Maths though :( if I had been asked to count to 10 I,d have failed, pretty gutted as I had the work done .......AAAAAArrrrghh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

JFlah wrote: »
    Yeah Web Design was pretty good , I had a complete and utter blank in Maths though :( if I had been asked to count to 10 I,d have failed, pretty gutted as I had the work done .......AAAAAArrrrghh

when do you get your results?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

siblers wrote: »
    Was surprised by our Web Design CA, was expecting it to be a lot more complicated.

many more exams left before Christmas?

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    many more exams left before Christmas?

Programming next exam in two weeks. While loops, etc. Big big step up from CA 1.. Not looking forward to it :)

Actually we may have 2 programming exams before xmas and maths after xmas or it could be visa versa. IT apps first week of Dec in excel and access.

We only have 2 exams for xmas, all others are CAs.

I've absolutley no idea how I did in the maths exam, hadn't a clue how to mathematicaly calculate percentiles or that one where 1:x and 3:y. Im terrible at maths so I'd gladly take a 40% pass at this stage.

As for programming, I'm gonna have to crawl through labsheet 6 and hope I can pick it up, as it stands I wont even be able to attempt a question.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    when do you get your results?
    not sure next week sometime

AntiRip wrote: »
    Programming next exam in two weeks. While loops, etc. Big big step up from CA 1.. Not looking forward to it :)
    just do as much of CA as you can as well as possible 1st 2 questions on Final Exam are only up to lab sheet 5 so more than do able. plenty to pass without knowing any loops !

• Advertisement

just do as much of CA as you can as well as possible 1st 2 questions on Final Exam are only up to lab sheet 5 so more than do able. plenty to pass without knowing any loops !

Need to look over the end of semester exam questions, see if ti will give me a bit of hope. The worry is that even if I do scrape a pass, when we go onto Java ill be totally lost.

Need to look over the end of semester exam questions, see if ti will give me a bit of hope. The worry is that even if I do scrape a pass, when we go onto Java ill be totally lost.
    don,t panic cross that bridge next semester , look at past papers on library site you,ll feel much happier

The thing I found difficult for maths was time. We really didn't get enough time in 1 hour to complete it. The exam should have been in the 2 hour class

Aye, I didn't have enough time to double check any of my calculations, and for the standard deviation stuff, you need to double check it as its so easy to make a mistake. I was really surprised by the marking in Visual Comms, has really taken the pressure off the final project.

Aye, I didn't have enough time to double check any of my calculations, and for the standard deviation stuff, you need to double check it as its so easy to make a mistake. I was really surprised by the marking in Visual Comms, has really taken the pressure off the final project.

I made a complete ****S of the maths Vis Comm i was thrilled with very fairly marked takes a load of pressure off next one is true

I made a complete ****S of the maths Vis Comm i was thrilled with very fairly marked takes a load of pressure off next one is true

Yeah, when she was giving them back she was saying to some people how they did really well buyt didn't say anything to me, so I was naturally expecting to have done crap. Was stunned to get the mark I did. Having looked over the solutions for the web design CA, I'm slightly annoyed with the bit where they asked you to link your page to other folders, but because the folders didn't actually exist I didn't know whether to use the "../" or not, I left it out but because there was no way to actually check, so I ended up guessing it. Not a huge deal but kinda frustrating all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OP, I didn't do CS or any of those courses but did a course that included multimedia module and programming. SQL was one the main programming languages in the course I did in ITT. I loved it, very easy to learn. Straight forward when learning databases too. Assignments can be difficult but for the most part I found it very interesting and a very good module. Learnt a fair bit from it. VB, HTML and action script were the other languages as part of my course. I found HTML very easy to learn. One of the easiest programming languages to learn and practice the code. VB isn't too bad if you understand it. Can get hard sometimes but it be easier than Java but the rules of programming for VB and Java are almost the same. I learnt Java in another college course.

Multimedia module in my degree wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it but hard work. Action script was the main language learnt but might not sure how much different it be if doing it as a degree course. The degree be more advanced and you be doing more than just adobe suite. And be learning other applications too.

I liked multimedia, wasn't easy but I enjoyed it. Assignments you have to keep up with them as best you can otherwise you might fall behind. Module was fairly structured. Final project was hard work, had to keep tipping away at it regularly to get the work done on time before the deadline. Design was more important than just functionality.

In your case the code be more important if doing CS if doing MM you be expected to do well on both areas of code and design. Interactivity be very important. Tasks be simple enough and you either like MM or you don't. If you can be creative and imaginative you be grand you don't necessary have to be an artist but an eye for design and or spacial relations helps greatly. Keeping things simple when designing for assignments/projects/CA's, but having a wow or elegant factor is good too.

Visual Communications, have an idea what you be trying to work on and stick with it. If you have an idea and understand how you want it to turn out you do great. Brainstorming is very helpful for this module.

Maths/Statistics isn't too bad. If learning a statistical software package/application its very important you understand how to use it when creating your statistics. Maths is straight forward business maths mainly but CS have slightly more advanced maths I say. It be about Ordinary Leaving Certs Maths level/standard I say.

Thing about Java it be worth getting grinds in it if you have difficulty in it. I found it quiet a difficult language to learn compared to others. I was fine with all the other programming languages I have learnt, was quiet good at the majority of them just Java was my pet hate. Just couldn't get my head around it to be honest. Wished I got the grinds in it to be honest but thought I be ok with the CA results alone. Passed the module anyway at least.

Web design is grand though, if you understand CSS/PHP/HTML/Databases you'll fly it. PHP easier to learn than Java though. Similar rules though but PHP wouldn't be as difficult a language to learn, step my step layout of code is not as strict as Java.

IT/Computer Apps isn't too bad though straight forward for the most part both the practical and theory parts. The practical part is fairly hands on and straight forward.

Keep up to date with documenting your projects though especially in MM. You might forget what you did and so on. Take note what you have done and what you need to do.

Looking back on past exam papers is probably one of the best ways to prepare for exams. Good luck with that OP.

Keeping on top of things will greatly help what ever IT/CS/MM course you decide on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Only two weeks left til Christmas break. Can't believe it. Semester one flew.

How are ye all fixed for CA and exams? I only have four final exams. One before Christmas (OOP4) and three after. I do also have two practical final exams and a project to submit so I still have plenty of work left to do. I have avoided buying Skyrim because if I get it I know that I will neglect everything else :D

@Doovdela: If you don't mind me asking, do you work in IT now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Opinicus wrote: »
    Only two weeks left til Christmas break. Can't believe it. Semester one flew.

:eek::eek::eek:
    How are ye all fixed for CA and exams? I only have four final exams. One before Christmas (OOP4) and three after. I do also have two practical final exams and a project to submit so I still have plenty of work left to do.
    I'm
    screwed
    and that's putting it mildly.
    I have avoided buying Skyrim because if I get it I know that I will neglect everything else :D
    I knew it would be the end of me but I bought it anyway :p

-Trek- wrote: »
    I'm
    screwed
    and that's putting it mildly.

I used to always think that as well but you'll surprise yourself when you sit down in the exam and start regurgitating stuff.

• Advertisement

Oh there will be regurgitation al-right just not the good kind. :D

What are you fearing the most?:D

DB and SAD, haven't looked at a single set of notes since mid term, and its not because I didn't want to, its just keep we getting more and more flippin work and assignments that I don't have time to. Its a flippin joke having those two subjects in the same semester. :mad:

SAD - ugh I absolutely hate doing documentation.

I used to always mix up the two subjects cos we had the same lecturer for both and we would learn SQL in DB and then use it in SAD.

As a side note: I have to pick what my Semester 2 project is going to be by next week. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards an Android app cos we've done Java but I'd say everyone is going to go that direction.

I have 2 projects and 3 exams. Haven't even started my Visual Comm one but Im not overly worried as I don't need very high marks to pass. Have the majority of my web design done but having one or 2 niggly issues with it. IT Apps will be a piece of pish, not too worried about Maths either, programming is the big worry for me. Haven't got a hang of the loops at all, got a CA Tuesday in it so gonna study like a mofo tomorrow and monday and hopefully it will start to kick in.

As for Skyrim, I have Uncharted 3 in front of me still covered in plastic, come the 16th ill be ploughing straight into it along with Skyrim. Only got one exam after Christmas so gonna have a nice break over Christmas. Can't wait. Although I must admit, found the workload prior to midterm more strenious than after midterm.

For SQL in DB is that coding using Acces? Cause I did that before and hated it to bits.

You're probably sick of people telling you this but the only way you're going to come to grips with code is to sit down and write it (I should take my own advice there:D).

If you have any problem in particular that you can't get your head around just pm me.

The semesterisation really crams everything into a short few weeks.

Yeah you learn some SQL in IT Apps using Access but we wrote most of our scripts in second year using notepad and SQLPlus. Same approach that they teach BASIC in first year in a basic editor. You have less 'toys' distracting you from the language.

Opinicus wrote: »
    You're probably sick of people telling you this but the only way you're going to come to grips with code is to sit down and write it (I should take my own advice there:D).

If you have any problem in particular that you can't get your head around just pm me.
    Sound :D. Parts I understand but other parts I struggle with, what I find hardest is knowing when the loops starts and ends and what goes inside each loop and what doesn't. But yeah, I was planning on writing ou the code instead of typing it, gonan need to practice for the final exam anyway

I just meant writing it on a computer but I suppose actually writing it out on paper won't do any harm either. Anyone else find it really odd to actually have written code tests. Fair enough if it was just pseudocode but having to write in the actual syntax of the language is a pain in the arse.

It'll be things likes chr$(13) etc that will catch me, least when typing code you can keep checking it to see if it runs or not, nothing worse when you are unsure whether you should use a ; or : or if you need a bracket or not etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah at least on a PC you can check if it works and maybe spot a flaw in your logic but on a piece of paper it might look perfect but actually have a major flaw.

Advertisement