Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programmes-What one are you doing?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin.
    What one are you doing, or is it more on the fly and by feel, and hows it going for you?

I wont bore people with mine anymore than the minimum after the badass thing.
    5/3/1 with BBB sort of over an 8 day tues-wed 4 workout split

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm doing CrossFit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

My own program :(

Would rather someone programmed for me but i'll survive. Focus on cleans one day and snatches the next. Also do some kind of squatting every work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Built Like a Badass Programme three days a week.
    Getting coached on clean technique once a week
    yoga twice a week
    run hills once a week
    some other conditioning if i feel up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Molly wrote: »
    My own program :(

Would rather someone programmed for me but i'll survive. Focus on cleans one day and snatches the next. Also do some kind of squatting every work out.

How do you find that? From what I've read/spoken to people about, beginners are best doing both snatch and C&J every session.

It's more to do with time constraints then anything else. I take forever at the gym and i'm always working in with people so focusing on the one lift now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm doing CrossFit.

"Strength and Strength Sports" Forum.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    "Strength and Strength Sports" Forum.

"what programme are you doing?"

You have a whole forum already in which you endlessly prattle on about box jumps, moving in straight lines and not doing any form of row or curl for no good reason.

Anybody on this site who doesn't already know that you are doing Crossfit either has you on Ignore or can't read.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You have a whole forum already in which you endlessly prattle on about box jumps, moving in straight lines and not doing any form of row or curl for no good reason.

I'm the one who told you to curl to help your elbow problems.

I don't do curls just because I'm not bothered. I've never told anyone not to do them, and am generally the first to recommend them if people want bigger arms.

I've never once held a pro high rep box jump position.

Look at my log today for rows.

And I train BJJ which is highly dependent on multi-planar movement.

But hey, why let an opportunity to take more personal shots at me be ruined by facts :)

What program are you doing anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Megastrength Spreadsheet 2.0

• Advertisement

You two are so cute together.

COH wrote: »
    Megastrength Spreadsheet 2.0

Have you patented it and written an e-book? I'd like to purchase said e-book if so

I'm the one who told you to curl to help your elbow problems.

I don't do curls just because I'm not bothered. I've never told anyone not to do them, and am generally the first to recommend them if people want bigger arms.

I've never once held a pro high rep box jump position.

Look at my log today for rows.

And I train BJJ which is highly dependent on multi-planar movement.

But hey, why let an opportunity to take more personal shots at me be ruined by facts :)

You have serious ego issues dude.
    If you think that my pretty obvious pot shot at Crossfit was a personal shot at you.

The only thing that was remotely personal was the implication that you are basically lording over a whole forum and spend way too much time talking about how you now do crossfit.

Why the hell would I read your log anyway? Its surely all Crossfit and BJJ, both of which don't interest me at all.
    What program are you doing anyway?

Do you really want to go there?
    Even after the last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

d'Oracle, Hanley. Take it to PM's dudes or get a room whichever ye prefer.
    Continue it here and infractions will be issued

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Is there a program that focuses on just strength gains,with little size gains?

Rossin wrote: »
    Is there a program that focuses on just strength gains,with little size gains?

Anything powerlifting related really. But the big thing is kcal restriction.

You need to eat enough to recover, but not so much that you gain weight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm doing a hybrid westside program. I only call it hybrid because I never get to the gym 4 days a week, I just whatever day is next whenever I do get in to train:

Max effort Upper, ME Lower, Repeat effort Upper, RE lower.

The big lifts I rotate are:

Lower: Trap bar DL, Squat, Deadlift

Upper: Bench, Press.

Tis grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I'm doing a hybrid westside program. I only call it hybrid because I never get to the gym 4 days a week, I just whatever day is next whenever I do get in to train:

Tis grand.

Don't most of the westside variations have the two ME days further apart? Even putting them first and last day of the week?

Good idea for a thread actually. I was thinking about posting something similar but aimed more at people not doing generic programs like BLABA, WS4SB etc. A lot of the programming in the logs seem to be fairly individual with only a few doing Starting Strength, Badass etc. So what's the reasoning behind your programming, why the exercise selection, rep/sets, what's the goal etc? Could be a good discussion and people could learn a bit more about what makes good or bad programming.

As for myself. Apart from my own general weightlifting training which is basically a snatch, a clean and jerk and squat with some hamstring exercise if I have time, usually RDL's or GHR, I do some upper body work focusing on my shoulders.

I hurt my shoulders a couple of years ago and now I just want to make sure they can handle overhead training 3 times a week or more. Basically I just split the two upper body days into a Pull up/Flat or incline press day and a Row/OH press day, do some trunk work and then some upper back accessory and arm work.

Basic layout is;

Pull up/Row
    Flat or incline/OH press
    Trunk
    Upper back accessory
    Arms

It's very influenced by the IP programmes but because I usually squat on weightlifting days I don't do any lower body work on these days.
    At the moment it looks like this;

"Pull up" day
    Weighted Chin ups work up to 5x5
    Db Alternating Incline press work up to 4x8
    Ab rollouts work up to 5x20
    Face pull 3x12
    Curls 3x8-12

"Row" day
    BB/Pendlay row work up in 5's
    1 arm OH press work up to 4x12
    Side bends 3x10
    Scap circuit
    Curls 3x8-12

Upper back accessory is usually a horizontal pull on pull up day and a scap circuit on row day. Trunk stuff is mostly anti-flexion like planks and roll outs with the odd flexion thrown in to cover bases. Arms are usually just curls atm because my elbow was giving me grief and I do a lot of arm extension with the snatches and cleans.

Well that's the reasoning behind it. Anyone else gonna bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Built like a fatass.

Dathai wrote: »
    Built like a fatass.

thats the new one COH is working on...

as for me..I aint doing any strenght work at the moment really. conditioning and being on the mat 4-5 times a week leaves very little time...

I want to learn how to clean so i might actually go pick up a barbell soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Built like a f*cking tank.

thats the new one COH is working on...

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Tis grand.

I thought about doing westside but I can only go 3 days a week so didnt bother-how do you find it for progress? particularly when you rotate a lift back in if you've not done it for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm doing a loose interpretation of a programme Jayroc made for me that I followed to the letter for about 6 months. Think he borrowed bits from a few programmes and mashed them together into a nice easy-to-follow programme for beginners. Still following the basic model but changed a few things etc along the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tis grand.

I thought about doing westside but I can only go 3 days a week so didnt bother-how do you find it for progress? particularly when you rotate a lift back in if you've not done it for a while?

My progress is slow, but that's due to children and injuries.

You dont lose strength on lifts when you rotate to something else e.g. I'm doing 4 weeks of deadlift and press as my ME lifts. I still squat on my RE lower day, just not heavy 3x8 and I do DB bench on my RE upper day. All this is building strength.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

I'm having success programming for myself for the first time ever - before, all my major improvements came from 5x5, smolov, 5/3/1 etc

Its not that structured, but the basic outline is

TUE
    Squat - work up to one heavy set, increase weight by 5kg each week, drop a rep every 2nd week
    Shoulder Press - 1-3 sets of 6-8
    Shoulder / AB work

THURS
    Bench - alternate between one heavy set and 3-5 lighter sets each week
    Deadlift- ^^ same as ^^
    Incline Bench
    Hamstring / bicep / lower back work

SAT
    CG Bench - 1-3 sets of 8-12
    BB Row - 2 heavy sets
    Upper back / arms

It's working well at the minute, volume on the big 3 is low, and I haven't many aches or pains

I've started cleaning and snatching. Going to do it 2x a week in addition to my conditioning work as I push to 75kg. It certainly is different from powerlifting. I cant imagine doing it with any significant weight is pleasant. And just for the lulz cleaned a 40kg kbell today....there is a 44 and 48 there that were giving me dirty looks today....gonns have to sort them out too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

is it important is it to change your programme after a few weeks/months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Built like a fatass.

I'm doing this as well. Soon I'll only be able wash myself with a rag on a stick

Rossin wrote: »
    is it important is it to change your programme after a few weeks/months?

No. It's only important to change if it's not working for you anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I am doing more weight and less reps every week until I get to a heavy single that is hopefully a PR.

I then do exclusively bodybuilding stuff for a while, maybe 4-5 weeks, and then start working towards the heavy single again.

2-3 small PRs a year on your lifts.

with
    Low enough volume
    which
    Seems to keep me injury free
    so
    Probably good for longevity.

Advertisement