Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no head, kind of flat?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Bottled my first brew a week ago (coopers canadian blonde) and decided to open one today to see what it was like.

Got a bit of a fizz noise when I opened it but when it poured there was no head whatsoever??? It also seemed a bit flat too?

Bottled it in 500ml bottles with a coopers carb drop in each one (as per instructions) after 18 days in fermenter. Should I have maybe put 1 1/2 drops in?

Any other reason why this would happen? Wasn't expecting anything special and I made a couple of mistakes since it was my first go but I at least expected carbonation!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Try putting one of them in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and try it then. ;)

This will cause more of the carbon dioxide in the head space to be absorbed into your beer and it will improve significantly. This has happened to me with nearly every one of my brews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Same happened for me with CCB but left it for another two weeks and it was fine.. actually it didn;t really taste 'right' with a good head untill about 6 weeks after botteling ...didn't use carbonation drops though... maybe give it a little shake and up the temp of the storage a little.

From experience also dont use dishwasher washed glasses as the residue can be a real head killer. Wash your glasses as soon as you're finished with warm water only (no detergent) .. Kind of hard washing up when yer half cut though..

Out of interest have you any idea of Starting and Final gravity for alcohol content calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BiddyBob

leggit wrote: »
    Bottled my first brew a week ago (coopers canadian blonde) and decided to open one today to see what it was like.

Got a bit of a fizz noise when I opened it but when it poured there was no head whatsoever??? It also seemed a bit flat too?

Bottled it in 500ml bottles with a coopers carb drop in each one (as per instructions) after 18 days in fermenter. Should I have maybe put 1 1/2 drops in?

Any other reason why this would happen? Wasn't expecting anything special and I made a couple of mistakes since it was my first go but I at least expected carbonation!?
    A week is not enough. Its exactly the same for me with several beers.

The trick is to keep the temperature of the bottles up at about 20 oC for at least 10 days. I usually wind up putting them in the hotpress for a week, it makes all the difference.

I've only done this with Coopers kits though, and the Coopers yeast is bullet proof (designed for Australian climate). This may not be true of other yeasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

waaay to early to be fully carbonated. Leave it at room temp (18~21) for another 2 weeks(or maybe 3) and it'll be fully carbonated. everyone is eager to crack open their brew early and test it. Dont refrigerate, it'll put the yeast asleep and stop fermentation and dont store too warm or it may cause off flavours.
    good luck!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Lars is spot on here,

I had the exact same problem with the Canadian Blond. Did exactly what Lars suggested and all was fine.

Patience my friend;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Lars wrote: »

waaay to early to be fully carbonated. Leave it at room temp (18~21) for another 2 weeks(or maybe 3) and it'll be fully carbonated. everyone is eager to crack open their brew early and test it. Dont refrigerate, it'll put the yeast asleep and stop fermentation and dont store too warm or it may cause off flavours.
    good luck!

L

Thanks for the replies, had it in the hotpress for a week and then put one in the fridge overnight before opening it.

I'll give them a quick shake and stick them back in the hotpress so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevco5

Could have used 1.5 carb drops alright, coopers recommend 1 drop for 375ml bottles and 2 for 750ml bottles for the international series.
    Give it time though and you should see improvement.

RDWHAHB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hi guys, I bottled my coopers irish stout kit on Monday, but I am moving house and have had to keep my 3 coopers boxes in the moving van and in a place under 14 degrees since Wednesday....... will this spoil my beer... Il be throwing it in the hot press around 7 tonite...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I could have written the OPs post word for word today :) Cooper Canadian Blonde, bottle 7 days ago yesterday. Tried one last night to see how it was getting on with nearly the exact same result. There was a head, but not for long. Carbonation was pretty poor but I knew it needed more time so wasn't too worried.

Good to hear we're in the same boat. See you here next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I could have written the OPs post word for word today :) Cooper Canadian Blonde, bottle 7 days ago yesterday. Tried one last night to see how it was getting on with nearly the exact same result. There was a head, but not for long. Carbonation was pretty poor but I knew it needed more time so wasn't too worried.

Good to hear we're in the same boat. See you here next week :)

haha, at least you got it for a few seconds! Mine was like pouring a glass of milk :( ......

..... still drank it though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

will this spoil my beer
    No, but the hotpress might.

Low temperatures aren't a problem: they just slow everything down, but it'll restart again when the temperature goes back up.

High temperatures can produce off flavours, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Depends on the hotpress! Mine wouldn't be as hot as it is on an average summers day in France, or even the south of England for that matter, and beer isn't known for spoiling from the heat in those locations.

This time of year my back kitchen can be on the colder side of 18 degrees, especially at night where it can drop to maybe 11 degrees. Yeast will do nothing at those temperatures, so I use the hotpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

leggit wrote:
    no head... kind of flat...

Sounds like my ex! Ba dum tish!

BeerNut wrote: »
    No, but the hotpress might.

Low temperatures aren't a problem: they just slow everything down, but it'll restart again when the temperature goes back up.

High temperatures can produce off flavours, however.
    Did a Muntons premium gold years ago, and pitched the yeast at 28 oC. RIP. Tried soo hard to drink it, but had to give in and throw it all away. I think it depends on the yeast, and Coopers are Australian . . .

The question I have is . . . . are yeasts more resiliant during secondary fermentation? I often put a big box of bottles in the hotpress when I get fed up of flat beer after a week or so. And, hey presto, it always works!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BiddyBob wrote: »
    Did a Muntons premium gold years ago, and pitched the yeast at 28 oC. RIP.
    :confused: 28 is fine as a pitching temperature, but you don't want the whole fermentation happening at that level.
    BiddyBob wrote: »
    I often put a big box of bottles in the hotpress when I get fed up of flat beer after a week or so. And, hey presto, it always works!
    Sounds like your main fermentation temperature may be too low.

BeerNut wrote: »
    :confused: 28 is fine as a pitching temperature, but you don't want the whole fermentation happening at that level.

Sounds like your main fermentation temperature may be too low.
    Highest temp was about 28 oC, thereafter cooler I think (unless it went nuts during the night). It stopped at around 1030 for days, threw it away.

Carbonation: fermentation 20 to 23 oC, 10 days or so, FG low, around 1006. Seems that my bottles like heat in order to fizz up!

Advertisement