Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst company you have ever dealt with?

• 27-10-2011 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

So guys and gals, lets hear your horror stories? The good, the bad and the ugly for me.

At the moment I am involved in this mess with Three, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with taking incompetence, arrogance and sheer pigheadedness to all new levels. I won't go into the details but in all my dealings they are far the worst.

Sky Tv gets a notable mention on the list of bad service, however when they wanted to charge me for repairs I simply cancelled and resubscribed and that fixed them.

Axa Travel Insurance should also be avoided at all costs as they will do everything in their power to prevent a payout and would spend €1,000 fighting rather than payout a claim ever if it was only for €10. Total conmen.

Dell Computers: Very bad back in the day, a good knowledge of IT has since allowed me to fix any problems without going near them.

Irish Rail: Tried to refuse me entry to a train back years ago as I forgot my student card until my father who was with me told the conducter, ok fine I will be leaving you in charge of my underage son and I will hold you legally responsible if anything happens to him, alot of huffing and puffing and grunting saw me get through.

Tesco: Getting told "Will you ever F off" at in the till for pointing out an overcharge takes the biscuit, threw me a €5 coupon card in the post a few days later.

Good Companys:

HP Computers: I bought a laptop in the US with only a US warranty and had no proper rights if they were bad enough and wanted to screw me. Three months later the keyboard malfunctioned, called them up, couriered it back and when it came back it had a new Keyboard fitted, two weeks later that went, couriered it back, got a new higher spec replacement valued at €1,200 and I bought the HP fo $600 which was around €450 @ €1 = $1.55 back in 2008. A great company to deal with and the emphasis was on fixing the problem and not that the customer was the problem.

Aer Lingus & Ryanair; I know you'd imagine Ryanair to be in the top list but I must give credit where it is due, I have never once been held up, lost bags or gotten screwed at the Airport by either Airline.

SouthWest Air; had my flight cancelled from LAX to Las Vegas last year, myself and about 15 other people had made it to the gate very early in time for the flight, the South West agents rounded us up and rushed us over to the earlier flight as there is like a flight ever hour or two anyway. She took our details and my checked in baggage which I was very worried might get lost made it onto the earlier flight also. That evening I had an apology email in my inbox with a $50 coupon off my next SouthWest flight. Fair dues to them, they messed up, yet still got me there an hour ahead of schedule and gave me a $50 coupon. Next time I'm state side I will fly them again, my cousin was able to use the coupon there so it was all good.

satellite.ie a small Irish company who does sat gear, ordered a few things down through the year, always had next day delivery. Superb service couldn't fault them in a million years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bank of Ireland

Pixmania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I was with you right up until "guys and gals"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Quinn Direct...

and Three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Eircom and Vodafone.

Tried to change the broadband from from the former to the latter. Lost our internet for a month, was told we were never with Eircom (by Eircom) and told it was our fault by Vodafone.

Ended up staying with Eircom in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The only one I can think of is UPC and the issue was resolved very well in the end. If you work on customer service, you realise it's not deliberate when there are cock-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Eircom, constant problems, internet would work for 5 minutes and then stop working for 10. When it did work it was crap, less than 1mbps DL when paying for 8mbps. Rang them hundreds of times, one guy had the nerve to tell me that the problem was I was using Linux. Consistent bull**** from the call center, they clearly had no clue what they were talking about. Occasionally they would send out an engineer, who would usually say that there was a problem, do something and then it would be fine for a week or so.

Privatization was such a great idea eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Smart Telecom.

Constant problems with their broadband, and they have the cheek to say its my problem, depsite the fact I've proven it's their internet cutting out and lagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Airtricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

A particular hotel I stayed in. The guy at the desk was a complete spiv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Volkswagen
    Bought a new car and the diesel engine packed in after 6 weeks. Had it towed back to the dealer who informed me that it was a write off, but they wouldn't cover it under warranty!!! Contacted Volkswagen direct and they told me that Volkswagens are not suited to Irish roads as the sump is too low. If they owned up to the fault they would be inundated with claims so they couldn't cover it.... Claimed on the insurance and switched to Toyota, a decision I never regretted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

upc

all that needs to be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

I hate Three, whenever I call them I'm put on hold and then I have to explain whats wrong to a silly Indian man that doesn't even know what I'm talking about :(

UPC would have been one of my worst. Had a modem issue which I knew exactly what the problem was. Turned out I knew more than the CSR who was quite rude to me and flat out denied that the problem was with my modem. I tried to explain the reason but he kept cutting across me. I didn't back down though, he eventually gave in and agreed to replace the modem. Turned out I was right and haven't had an ounce of trouble since.

Microsoft were next. Had an activation issue on a PC after an inplace upgrade. At the time I didn't know why so phoned MS. They refused to help me after I told them I used a generic OEM disc - they would only help me if I used the discs that came with the machine, which is absolute crap. I snapped and hung up. Managed to fix it myself by reinstalling IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Permanent TSB, Bank of Ireland, Easy Jet. Absolute crooks, i'll never darken their doors again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Three by far.

Awful customer service and had loads of problems. I've made a point of warning people about them whenever i could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

UPC
    I couldn't write what I feel about them without 90% of the text being expletives.

Dell. You'd swear they didn't want me to buy anything from them with the trouble they caused me.

By far the absolute worst - O2. I was treated scandalously by them. It was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm with three as well OP. Lightning fast speeds of 0.5mbs and customer care that answers your queries about three days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

UPC hands down the worst EVER !! And I work in customer service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Your ma's message parlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

the bad. upc/ntl. very bad service in my area. Always having problems with tv reception etc. No improvement after two years. Trying to cancel at the moment, but they are stalling with my final bill.

Good companys. Sky tv. Very professional with no probs in the past(living in apartment so have upc).
    Micksgarage. Ordered lots of products in the last year and always arrived on time and in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

In my experience, most problems with companies come from the call center staff. Most know less than the average guy and are incredibly rude and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Instore furniture store. The Little Britain 'computer says no' woman has to be based on their customer service.

Ordered 2 sofas in March, told maximum 8 weeks until delivery.
    1st sofa eventually arrived in August. 2nd one delivered end of December. And thats saying nothing about the sheer rudeness and incompetence of their staff at every level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Your ma's message parlor.
    Text or e-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Anglo Irish Bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find 3 pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Vodafone by a mile.

Hate them with passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

The bad

Three - worst i've ever encountered in my life, EVER (Excluding the guys on boards, they seem to just get on with it and not pussy foot around)

ESB - Awful, Awful, Awful

The Good

Eircom - Lovely, good advice and good service, bit if banter on the phone too was nice :)

The costume shop.ie - Next day delivery, I had ordered wrong size accidentally - Sent it back no bother, had the right size the day after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Three. By a country mile. And their Indian call centre operators reading off a prepared script just wind me up more!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Frowzy wrote: »
    Volkswagen
    Bought a new car and the diesel engine packed in after 6 weeks. Had it towed back to the dealer who informed me that it was a write off, but they wouldn't cover it under warranty!!! Contacted Volkswagen direct and they told me that Volkswagens are not suited to Irish roads as the sump is too low. If they owned up to the fault they would be inundated with claims so they couldn't cover it.... Claimed on the insurance and switched to Toyota, a decision I never regretted!

What make of Voltswagen ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

o2 (see my posts) justice denied....boi during the Tiger years the loan i wanted was too small they were almost dismissive in their attitude.. and it might have been important...never saved with them after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

BTW is Sandyford industrial estate. Actually accused me of recieving a delivery which i did'nt and refused to send out the item i paid for. Eventually got them into small claims court and got the money back.

Ryanair. No explanation needed.

UPC. How these guys are still in business i'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

quinn direct claims department by far..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Ulster Bank wrongly charged me 40 euro on my account. I was told it'd be looked into. Nobody bothered but they did change my online banking statement so it didn't show up anymore. Then the lady I originally spoke to in the bank only a week before denied I even brought it up.

After 10 mins I was told to leave the bank as I was wrong and I was being an inconvenience. I never got my 40 euro back and two weeks later in the pub 3 of the tellers from the bank spent the night cutting me dirty looks. Honest to god its like having moody teenagers manage my money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

cosanostra wrote: »
    Anglo Irish Bank

Offered the best savings rate on the market for best part of a decade, and their retail deposit customer service was second to none. Just a shame about the property bankers in the other building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

SKY a great service, the best IMO but when you have to ring them GAWD. Meteor another shower of cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Roman Catholic Church Inc

apparently i can't leave :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I actually have really good experiences with Eircom. I find their customer service to be very helpful and fast. Maybe because I knew exactly what I was talking about, but we had the problem sorted out fast enough and even had a little chat about video games :pac:. I always get want I want sorted with them fast. However my friend who tends to hop on the angry and snappy tone band wagon has a tough time with them. I wonder why. Broadband speeds aren't all that great but its the best I can get here.

Aer Lingus are pretty good too, never had a problem with them.

ESB: ****e service, poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'm with three as well OP. Lightning fast speeds of 0.5mbs and customer care that answers your queries about three days later.

Ah now, you cant beat 0.25mbs and a ping of over 1000:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Three and Sky have been nightmares to deal with for me. Never had a huge issue with Eircom but had to contact them several times and they were just plain incompetent. I pray I never have to raise a serious issue with them.

I've dealt with Sony a couple of times and they have been excellent so I know companies can do it with some effort but some just dont seem to give two flying fcuks about ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

What make of Voltswagen ?

Passat... You can actually buy a plate on DoneDeal now to protect the sump on Passats, Golfs and Boras.

Switched to an Avensis and then went all girlie and got a Rav 4, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

ebookers.ie, unreal bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pinkybinky

Stinicker wrote: »
    So guys and gals, lets hear your horror stories? The good, the bad and the ugly for me.

At the moment I am involved in this mess with Three, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with taking incompetence, arrogance and sheer pigheadedness to all new levels. I won't go into the details but in all my dealings they are far the worst.

Sky Tv gets a notable mention on the list of bad service, however when they wanted to charge me for repairs I simply cancelled and resubscribed and that fixed them.

Axa Travel Insurance should also be avoided at all costs as they will do everything in their power to prevent a payout and would spend €1,000 fighting rather than payout a claim ever if it was only for €10. Total conmen.

Dell Computers: Very bad back in the day, a good knowledge of IT has since allowed me to fix any problems without going near them.

Irish Rail: Tried to refuse me entry to a train back years ago as I forgot my student card until my father who was with me told the conducter, ok fine I will be leaving you in charge of my underage son and I will hold you legally responsible if anything happens to him, alot of huffing and puffing and grunting saw me get through.

Tesco: Getting told "Will you ever F off" at in the till for pointing out an overcharge takes the biscuit, threw me a €5 coupon card in the post a few days later.

Good Companys:

HP Computers: I bought a laptop in the US with only a US warranty and had no proper rights if they were bad enough and wanted to screw me. Three months later the keyboard malfunctioned, called them up, couriered it back and when it came back it had a new Keyboard fitted, two weeks later that went, couriered it back, got a new higher spec replacement valued at €1,200 and I bought the HP fo $600 which was around €450 @ €1 = $1.55 back in 2008. A great company to deal with and the emphasis was on fixing the problem and not that the customer was the problem.

Aer Lingus & Ryanair; I know you'd imagine Ryanair to be in the top list but I must give credit where it is due, I have never once been held up, lost bags or gotten screwed at the Airport by either Airline.

SouthWest Air; had my flight cancelled from LAX to Las Vegas last year, myself and about 15 other people had made it to the gate very early in time for the flight, the South West agents rounded us up and rushed us over to the earlier flight as there is like a flight ever hour or two anyway. She took our details and my checked in baggage which I was very worried might get lost made it onto the earlier flight also. That evening I had an apology email in my inbox with a $50 coupon off my next SouthWest flight. Fair dues to them, they messed up, yet still got me there an hour ahead of schedule and gave me a $50 coupon. Next time I'm state side I will fly them again, my cousin was able to use the coupon there so it was all good.

satellite.ie a small Irish company who does sat gear, ordered a few things down through the year, always had next day delivery. Superb service couldn't fault them in a million years.

Specsavers!!!! Unbelievable stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Boards.ie Moderators. Nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Has to be Bord Gais :mad:

Think beyond my bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Babestation.Kept me on hold for ages and by the time I was put through, the gorgeous young one I was hoping for was replaced by a wheezy gas bag of an ould wan.

Never using my brother's phone to ring them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Budget Travel, both times I dealt with them, both times there was a fcuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the viper's debt collection company

closely followed by eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ryanair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement