Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone driving in college and short on funds?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Just wondering if it's worth it. Going to college next year, and trying to decide if I should start saving for insurance. I'll be going to trinity and I'm on a bus route, but think it might be handy for other stuff. So is it worth driving and not having much spare cash, or having the extra 1500 and change throughout the year? (I'll be living at home)

Comments

Even if you have enough for insurance and petrol, have you considered the cost and the general hassle with parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you want to drive to college get a little scooter for yourself, fantastic things for students

Parking is free, good bike chain and you can park beside the bicycle stands.

Now if you were attending a IT around the country well a car might be great.

But you're going to Dublin city centre and parking is hassle. And I don't know how parking works in Trinity but I doubt it's free.
    You don't need a car for the city centre

A decent scooter for three to four years and it'll work out cheaper then annual or monthly bus fares
    If you fall off or scratch it, it doesn't matter, just buy one and run it into the ground

Not cool? Who cares, lots of students have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The idea of driving to TCD every day is utter lunacy. There is no parking for students, so you'll be in the multistory nearby or parking on street, both of which are incredibly expensive to be doing on a day in-day out basis.

People you'll find will choose to go to TCD because of its central location, meaning it is on almost every public transport route in the capital.

Get a bus ticket.

Advertisement