Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good but cheap headphones

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

could anyone tell me what the best set of headphones are for a decent price 100-150 euro?

im sick of earphones and im looking for an alternative to beats by dre coz they are so ****ing dear its unreal.im not a dj just want them for my ipod (gym & general malarky),and a pair that look good!

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Moved from Instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'd stay away from anything by Monster in general, if I were you. I bought a pair of Turbines and had to have them replaced three times under the warranty. The customer service was so bad that I felt compelled to write an email to their customer service manager detailing the various 2 month waits I was subjected to before receiving a response. Eventually they conceded to upgrading the headphones and sent me some Beats Studios, which are the most expensive in their range. One of the cables that came with the headphones then promptly broke.

My only conclusion is that no matter how much you pay for Monster headphones, they will crap out sooner rather than later. Great headphones while they work though, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd ask or move it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=624

There is no such thing as the best headphones as everyone's opinion will be different. It also depends on what you're music you're into. What music you listen to and your source also should be taken into account before buying.

Some headphones are open and leak sound in and out so are unsuitable for loud environments or in libraries but generally sound nicer than closed headphones which are better for isolation but might clamp too tightly.

Others have sound signatures which are suitable for certain styles of music, they could accentuate the bass or have lots of treble or have a prominent mids.

If you use them in the gym chances are they're going to get exposed to sweat and you want something comfortable and light and not have your ears overheat (closed or tight fitting headphones do this and become uncomfortable) so I'd be inclined to look at something light and robust like sennheiser px100 ii or the koss portapro which aren't big investments financially and since gyms usually have music on in the back ground you're not likely to disturb others. The koss has a life time warranty which is a big plus.

As an alternative to headphones perhaps look at IEMs as there is some incredible value out there if you're prepared to look at unfamiliar brands. There is a great resource here (for portable headphones) and here (for IEMs) if you're willing to spend the time reading up on what's recommended by someone who has listened to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Whatever you do, avoid anything like Beats, they're extremely overpriced and you could do so much better at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

what would you recommend just for using for my ipod

seinnheiser? sony etc?...for a decent price of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Seinnheiser headphones are excellent value for money. They're not overpriced and they usually have a nice warm clear sound.

I bought a pair of Skullcandy buds in TK Maxx for €10 about 5 months ago and they are easily the best earbuds I've ever had, really comfortable and the sound is fantastic.

If you are looking for 'on ear' ear phones then I would recommend you check out some of Sennheiser stuff.

Advertisement