Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged property, but deposit returned

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello,
    Tenants have just left an apartment i own. I was out of da country and a friend of mine returned deposit in full as she didnt see any issue. Now it turns out there is about 250 to 300 euro worth of damage done. This is outside the scope of general wear and tear. I have asked the ex tenant to pay and while he does accept there is some damage he just gives a sob story in relation to times being hard and so on. Have i any options to get the tenant to pay up? Or is is just a lesson payed for by having the deposit returned too easily. Any options or should i just move on?

Would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Id imagine its tough luck - the place was inspected and deemed good enough to return the deposit. Im not too sure how you'd enforce getting it back? Small claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bpm78

Yep, im not sure either and wanted to check here. Green behaviour but live and learn i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ring them and ask and if they don't pay bring it to PRTB. Probably better off just leaving it as it is actually unlikely you will actually get the money.

Live and learn is a true statement, I'd be pissed at my mate but not worth losing a friendship over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bpm78

Cheers. Putting this one behind me as it only annoys me thinking about it and prolonging it. Thanks.

Advertisement