Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no dart

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭

The dart is off tomorrow and for a few days possibly. Damaged bridge @ lansdowne.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

loyatemu wrote: »
    The dart is off tomorrow and for a few days possibly. Damaged bridge @ lansdowne.
    Not the news I want to hear! Office was flooded in harolds cross. Always drive in but have temporary office on dame street with no parking. Was going to get dart but that plan is scuppered. What bus do I get and how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Oh for **** sake. Thanks for posting, not something I'd welcome finding out in the morning.

neets wrote: »
    Not the news I want to hear! Office was flooded in harolds cross. Always drive in but have temporary office on dame street with no parking. Was going to get dart but that plan is scuppered. What bus do I get and how long does it take?

84x and about the same as the Dart, slightly longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

neets wrote: »

You could get the luas from Sandyford or Stillorgan to Stephen's Green. I think there are car parks at some of the luas stops around Stillorgan. You might get more info on www.luas.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

from the Irish Rail website
    DART: DART services will operate Howth/Malahide to Pearse, and Dun Laoghaire to Bray/Greystones. There will be no DART service between Pearse and Dun Laoghaire. Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers affected.

Rosslare/Gorey: Rosslare and Gorey services will operate Rosslare/Gorey to Bray, with bus transfers between Bray and Dublin Connolly.

Good to go as far as Dun Laoghaire. But then its a bus to town. Note the transfers from Bray for the commuter/intercity trains! But it'll probably go straight to Connolly with no stopping?! Check commter intercity train times though for arrival in Bray.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Update on Irish Rail website as of 06:30 this morning:

Southside DART & Rosslare disruption: No trains operating Grand Canal Dock to Sydney Parade by Corporate Communications

Friday 28th October, 06.30hrs

Iarnród Éireann advises customers that there is serious disruption to southside DART services and Rosslare / Gorey rail services.

The line is closed between Grand Canal Dock and Sydney Parade due to flood damage in the vicinity of a bridge pier at the Dodder Bridge, to the south end of Lansdowne Road Station.

Services affected are:

DART: DART services will operate Howth/Malahide to Grand Canal Dock, and from Sydney Parade to Greystones (note Southside service will be reduced in frequency, operating every 30 minutes, to the scheduled Greystones DART timetable). There will be no DART service between Grand Canal Dock and Sydney Parade. Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers affected.

Rosslare/Gorey: Rosslare and Gorey services will operate Rosslare/Gorey to Bray, with bus transfers between Bray and Dublin Connolly.

Other commuter: Other commuter services which operate from Drogheda or Maynooth to Dun Laoghaire and Bray will now only operate from Drogheda/Maynooth to Pearse. Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers travelling south of Pearse.

The length of time this disruption will continue for is currently being assessed, and it is hoped to confirm this today. However, it will be for a number of days at least.

More detailed service information will be provided as soon as possible.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

Bridge and damage (updated Thurs evening 27th October)

The line has been closed due to damage to the ground in the vicinity of a pier on the Dodder Bridge at the south end of Lansdowne Road Station.

This area was flooded on Monday of this week, during the torrential rainfall in the Dublin area.

At least two large trees which fell were swept downstream by the River Dodder and were lodged under the bridge, causing debris to build up at and under the bridge.

The bridge is a single span structure, and as part of new safety protocols adopted following the investigations into the Malahide Viaduct accident in 2009, a detailed inspection is automatically carried out of structures affected by a major flood event as soon as possible.

This inspection carried out by divers, has shown this evening damage to the ground in the vicinity of a support pier of the bridge, as a result of this week's flood. No such damage was present at its previous underwater inspection in October 2010.

When this was reported this evening, Iarnród Éireann closed the structure as a precautionary measure, to allow repair works to be carried out.

A remedial works programme to repair the flood damage is now being devised, and this will confirm timescales for this disruption.

darter wrote: »
    Southside DART & Rosslare disruption: No trains operating Grand Canal Dock to Sydney Parade by Corporate Communications

Anyone know why they can't run the DARTs to Sandymount? Then they could run shuttle buses between Sandymount and Grand Canal Dock.

Or why don't they run shuttle buses Grand Canal Dock to Sydney Parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Thanks for the info! Will give the bus a go.

Anyone know why they can't run the DARTs to Sandymount? Then they could run shuttle buses between Sandymount and Grand Canal Dock.

Or why don't they run shuttle buses Grand Canal Dock to Sydney Parade?

At a guess, it's probably because there no easy way for the trains to cross tracks and return Northbound if they run as far an Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

shuttle buses over short distances between stations would be very awkward - you'd have hundreds of people getting off the dart and piling onto a fleet of buses only to to be moved 1 mile up the road and get back on a train. A lot easier just to get the bus all the way in.

• Advertisement

shuttle buses over short distances between stations would be very awkward - you'd have hundreds of people getting off the dart and piling onto a fleet of buses only to to be moved 1 mile up the road and get back on a train. A lot easier just to get the bus all the way in.

They've done this before a few years ago with shuttle buses running between Lansdowne Road and Dun Laoghaire and on another occasion between Bray and Greystones. Not awkward at all, and far better than being thrown onto DB for longer commutes.

Do you take the DART regularly, as in every day like I do? Or are you expressing an opinion based on theory?

They've done this before a few years ago with shuttle buses running between Lansdowne Road and Dun Laoghaire and on another occasion between Bray and Greystones. Not awkward at all, and far better than being thrown onto DB for longer commutes.

Do you take the DART regularly, as in every day like I do? Or are you expressing an opinion based on theory?

i take the dart every day. I got the 84X this morning, took me 5 minutes longer than usual to get to the office. I'm pretty sure Dart to Sydney Parade, then a bus to Pearse would've added more time than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Got the 84X this morning too.

Coming home from work last night was crap. Got to Tara st. station at 11.15 to be told no DARTs, ran to D'Olier Street, got a 145 to Bray to have missed the last 184/84 to Greystones. Had to get a taxi! :(

I'm not a bus user (if I was, my name would be busser), so I just went on DB web site to get info. There's a very nice tool called Route Planner where you put in your From and To and it will calculate routes for you.

If you put in From as Greystones DART station and To as Trinity, it gives you two options. In both, part 1 is to take the DART to Tara St... :rolleyes:

The 84X is ok, but very few times. What's it like coming back? How crowded at the St Stephens Green stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm not a bus user (if I was, my name would be busser), so I just went on DB web site to get info. There's a very nice tool called Route Planner where you put in your From and To and it will calculate routes for you.

If you put in From as Greystones DART station and To as Trinity, it gives you two options. In both, part 1 is to take the DART to Tara St... :rolleyes:

The 84X is ok, but very few times. What's it like coming back? How crowded at the St Stephens Green stop?
    Under the circumstances, it'll be very crowded as it will have a lot more users. Better to go to Kildare St or better yet Nassau St (opp Knobs & Knockers).

FWIW, I switched from using the Dart to the 84X a while back and with the exception of the snow last winter it's been a pretty reliable service and is actually quicker for me door to door than using the dart!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I found this out the hard way this morning. :(

Will annual rail ticket be valid on the 84X?

Drove this morning but it looks like they could be at this for a while.

X seems to be taking rail passes, a lady in front of me this morning boarded with no problems having shown her rail pass anyway.

Thanks mike.

Will give it a bash on Tuesday.

How long is it expected to take to carry out the repair? It's hardly the Malahide estuary!

Report was supposed to be released today.

"Few days at least" is the web statement.

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Report was supposed to be released today.

"Few days at least" is the web statement.

Estimate just went up at 17:00 from "a few days" to "a number of days" :(

If they have to re-route the Dodder to strengthen the support, it'll be weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

The 84X is ok, but very few times. What's it like coming back? How crowded at the St Stephens Green stop?[/Quote]

I've passed the Stephens Green stop a few times cause the bus has been full. Can u walk back to Nassau St? People usually get on there.

Iarnrod Eireann
    Our current assessment is that the repair works and disruption will be ongoing for up to a fortnight.

84x for a few weeks at least!

Bloody disaster.

Fi Fi wrote: »
    I've passed the Stephens Green stop a few times cause the bus has been full. Can u walk back to Nassau St? People usually get on there.

Well if the 84X was full at Stephens Green BEFORE this disaster, then Nassau St is going to be a challenge now, and for the next fortnight - which I think is likely an underestimate. Probably a month.

Looks like the DART to Sydney Parade, then the 45 or 47 works best for me to Trinity.

The 145 could be an option if there was any parking in Kilmacanogue.

Long trip but an alternative?

got the 84X from Leeson St this evening and it was fairly full but managed to get on. (this was the service that leaves Eden Quay at 17:30 - a delightful trip with scummers drinking and shouting down the back - they even went to the trouble of covering up the security camera :().

Just flashed my rail pass - no quibble from the driver.

Another option might be dart to booterstown/sydney parade and change onto one of the fairly frequent buses along the rock road, but the dart is running at a reduced frequency so you could be waiting a while on the way back.

anyone with an android phone, this is a fantastic app for checking bus times.

got the 84X from Leeson St this evening and it was fairly full but managed to get on. (this was the service that leaves Eden Quay at 17:30 - a delightful trip with scummers drinking and shouting down the back - they even went to the trouble of covering up the security camera :().

Just flashed my rail pass - no quibble from the driver.

Another option might be dart to booterstown/sydney parade and change onto one of the fairly frequent buses along the rock road, but the dart is running at a reduced frequency so you could be waiting a while on the way back.

anyone with an android phone, this is a fantastic app for checking bus times.

Just to add to loyatemu's point. Services are operating to a Greystones timetable, eg:all southbound trains terminate at Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I presume the LUAS won't accept Irish Rail travel passes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just thought I'd put this out there. I'm finishing work at 11 this week. Does anyone think I'd make the last DART from Sydney parade if I got the 7 to Sydney Parade. Or should I just get the 145 to Bray and taxi it from there? I dont wanna get the 7 to miss the train and be stuck in Sydney Parade.

Advertisement