Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no dart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just thought I'd put this out there. I'm finishing work at 11 this week. Does anyone think I'd make the last DART from Sydney parade if I got the 7 to Sydney Parade. Or should I just get the 145 to Bray and taxi it from there? I dont wanna get the 7 to miss the train and be stuck in Sydney Parade.

according to the timetable the last Dart from SP to Greystones is at 23:43, you should make that.

I was going to suggest 145 to Bray and then catch the last 84 but for some reason the last 84 on weeknights is 30 minutes earlier than on the weekend - thats a bit sh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

loyatemu wrote: »
    according to the timetable the last Dart from SP to Greystones is at 23:43, you should make that.

I was going to suggest 145 to Bray and then catch the last 84 but for some reason the last 84 on weeknights is 30 minutes earlier than on the weekend - thats a bit sh1t...

Yup, thats my predicament. Had to catch a taxi last week and would rather not shell out the 15 quid again this week, but its looking like I'll have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

What was the 84x like this morning? Were there seats still available at the Lidl stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I got the 84x at 8 from Charlesland which dropped me at the last stop, Eden Quay, at 9.05. There were definitely seats at the Lidl stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Aquamarina

Where does the 84X stop? I looked at the timetable and it just says "greystones" which is not very illuminating. Also, where is the stop in town for coming home? I work on Nassau street..

• Advertisement

It stops opposite the Dart station in Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Stops in town are Eden Quay (departs from here), Nassau St. (opp. Knobs & Knockers), Kildare St., Stephen's Green (OPW), Leeson St upr (just at jct with Fitzwilliam place), Burlinton.

In Greystones stops are Charlesland, Mill Road (at what used to be Script), train station, Blacklion Junction, Blacklion (Lidl).

Brilliant, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Got DB from Merrion Square at 16:00. Many people on the bus were asking each other how to get to Bray etc. Missed the 16:08 DART from Sydney Parade by minutes, but the 16:38 was there already. It left exactly on time, and stayed on time all the way into Greystones. The amazing thing was just how empty the DART was! I was expecting it to be packed. But it is a school break this week, fortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The 17:50 84x was full leaving Nassau St. and left passengers behind despite the drivers best efforts.

What sickens me about this is the number of people who happily use the X to go no further than Loughlinstown despite the fact that plenty of other services can take them where they want to go with much greater frequency. Five other routes serve UCD from Nassau St and four of those continue to Foxrock church so why not take any of those and allow others who need the x to take it.

My advice to anyone hoping to board is either go to Eden Quay or take a 145 to Loughlinstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What sickens me about this is the number of people who happily use the X to go no further than Loughlinstown despite the fact that plenty of other services can take them where they want to go with much greater frequency. Five other routes serve UCD from Nassau St and four of those continue to Foxrock church so why not take any of those and allow others who need the x to take it.

you can't blame people for getting on the first bus that will take them where they want to go, nobody wants to spend longer waiting at a bus stop than necessary. DB could run the 84X non-stop from (say) Donnybrook to Bray to prevent this, but I'd imagine some Bray and Greystones commuters get on at the intermediate stops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Was on the first 84X this morning out of Greystones, and again it was full by the first stop in Bray. Last night coming home it was full by St. Stephen's Green. You'd think some bright spark at Dublin Bus would think to put on a few extra buses during the DART shutdown. Or at least get the regular 84 to continue past UCD into town. This morning the 84 was quite empty and the 84X behind it was packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Was on the first 84X this morning out of Greystones, and again it was full by the first stop in Bray. Last night coming home it was full by St. Stephen's Green. You'd think some bright spark at Dublin Bus would think to put on a few extra buses during the DART shutdown. Or at least get the regular 84 to continue past UCD into town. This morning the 84 was quite empty and the 84X behind it was packed.

And where exactly are they supposed to magic these extra buses from?

Every bus in the fleet is on the road in the morning peak.

The 7.50 from Charlesland was full at Lidl Blacklion and passed all the stops on Southern Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I got the 8am DART this morning. Would usually have me in work at 9.05 in city centre.

Got off at Booterstown, got a '7' straight away and was in work at 9.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

lxflyer wrote: »

They could start by extending the usual 84 past UCD and into the city centre. As I mentioned previously, the 84 was almost empty leaving Greystones this morning.

Two years ago when the Malahide Bridge collapsed they managed to put on a 33X through Skerries every 5 minutes during rush hour. Not sure where they got those buses from, but it was a far better response to the situation than we're seeing now. And I expect things will be worse next week once the students are back. So far a very poor response from Irish Rail and Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

what about the 84x?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yes but they could use the Larger Buses that operate on the 145 & 46a Route and sometimes the 84x the 145 from Bray is 10mins at peek times so they could at least put a few larger buses on the 84x route while the dart is down as the 84x is the only bus that south of Bray goes to the city center

VT1DunLaoghaire.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Yes but they could use the Larger Buses that operate on the 145 & 46a Route and sometimes the 84x the 145 from Bray is 10mins at peek times so they could at least put a few larger buses on the 84x route while the dart is down as the 84x is the only bus that south of Bray goes to the city center

Did i read somewhere that theses buses are too for Greystones roads?

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Did i read somewhere that theses buses are too for Greystones roads?

Can't be i have being on them in the Morning's usually the 7.30 or 7.40 (Kilcoole) its only every now and again you see them though.

• Advertisement

Can't be i have being on them in the Morning's usually the 7.30 or 7.40 (Kilcoole) its only every now and again you see them though.

I stand corrected.

The problem is that both the 145 and 46a also need the tri-axle buses as they are heavily overloaded too!

As for the 84 - if you extend that into town you immediately halve its frequency due to the longer route - there are no extra buses to maintain the full frequency. As for the 84 being empty, why people wouldn't take it and switch to a 39a at Belfield is beyond me.

When the Malahide viaduct collapsed there were additional buses in the fleet and extra drivers. However with the implementation of the Network Review that simply isn't the case anymore.

The problem is that both the 145 and 46a also need the tri-axle buses as they are heavily overloaded too!

As for the 84 - if you extend that into town you immediately halve its frequency due to the longer route - there are no extra buses to maintain the full frequency. As for the 84 being empty, why people wouldn't take it and switch to a 39a at Belfield is beyond me.

When the Malahide viaduct collapsed there were additional buses in the fleet and extra drivers. However with the implementation of the Network Review that simply isn't the case anymore.

Yes but nobody uses the 84 beyond Cherrywood in my experience. and taking the 84 from UCD can talk over 1.5hrs in the Evening the 84 should of just gone to Cherrywood as orginally intended its Frequency hasn't improved since it terminated in Eden Quay.

Well to be fair you can blame your own local representatives for that.

They were the ones that asked for the change to UCD.

That's true but there is only 5 84x Services in the evening's and god know's how many 46a's i guess this is true with most routes though never enough frequency when required.

Well to be fair you can blame your own local representatives for that.

They were the ones that asked for the change to UCD.

Such is the way with this country :rolleyes:

Apparently they are lifting time restrictions on bikes on the dart for the duration. Am thinking of taking my bike on the dart tomorrow and then cycling into city centre from Sydney Parade.

Getting in this morning was a breeze. Getting home was hellish even though I lift town at 3.30.

Aquamarina wrote: »
    Apparently they are lifting time restrictions on bikes on the dart for the duration. Am thinking of taking my bike on the dart tomorrow and then cycling into city centre from Sydney Parade.

Getting in this morning was a breeze. Getting home was hellish even though I lift town at 3.30.

TBH it was rarely enforced to begin with. I've been on the 4:55pm Dart out of Connolly and there was bikes on the train.

Great idea, if only i had a bike. :o

Actually, I hadn't considered ths option. Maybe something to consider if the weather is a little better next week.

Irishrail tweeted this earlier, no further updates since though.
    IrishRailIrishRail
    Dodder Bridge: From tomorrow in addition to DubBus taking rail tks, shuttle bus to run Booterstown/Pearse. More info later & on irishrail.ie

Better late than never i guess.

• Advertisement

Updated tweet just now :
    IrishRailIrishRail

In addition to rail tkts being valid on Dub Bus southside, shuttle bus Booterstown-Pearse 07.00hrs-10.00hrs & 15.00hrs-19.30hrs, Mon to Fri

Advertisement