Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy Jobs in Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

its fairly impressive..i think il be headin over to perth in the not too distant future!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

statina wrote: »
    its fairly impressive..i think il be headin over to perth in the not too distant future!

Don't go taking my job :)

I am just in the middle of applying for the Stage 2 Practice Audit. Not sure if ye know but the OTC have increased the fee for applying for the Practice Audit from $200 to $1000 since 1st July :mad:

There was no mention of this price increase on their website or when I was talking to him on the phone before 1st July- very annoying!

I filled in the OTC 1 online and it was $500, but I haven't paid for it. Its now upto $1000! I wonder if i'll have to pay $500 or $1000???

Good Luck with the Audit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blondee91

Hello everyone, this post is great. Just checking have I got it right, once you have a visa and have done the phase 1 assessment would it be a reasonable to search online or go to Australia, in the hope that you'd find an employer that would take you on to complete the phase two stage? All jobs online seem to require full regitration which could be a worry...

Would appreciate any advice :)

• Advertisement

Yes, I think that's it. Its a lot of work and very expensive!
    Best of luck with it.

Yeah thats right. Best of luck with the audit, I have mine nearly completed so feel free to ask any questions. Its very similar to the CPD/Performance Development stuff I had to do in the HSE so bring over copies of that as it will help you alot.

I have found OTC and AHPRA a nightmare to deal with- I had to pay $280 last April for registration, then had to pay another $280 in November as it was up then. They have now informed me that I have to pay $500 when I receive my full registration as I was only on limited registration in November. Add that to the $1000 for the Practice audit (+ 350 euro for Stage 1) and you have a very expensive registration process!!!

Dodgylegs, how are you getting on, did you move to Perth??

Hi statina,

Got a job in perth, and sponsorship, they were interviewing in Dublin before christmas. Heading out end of march :-)

I just sent off the OTC skills 1 last week. I'm trying to dodge part 2 by getting full registration. | might get full registration as "Under grandparenting law, If you have 5 years experience, and 2 australian referees, and complete 4 case studies then you can get full registration. I have 2 Australian references, but it is unclear if you had to work with them in australia!. If it works, I'll be gutted that i paid 1500$ for the initial OTC skills 1. The whole thing is an absolute money racket! Why can they not say that they recognize the WFOT courses. Hope the audit goes well for you and that your being let do it in work time! might be back onto you if i have to do it.

oh at least you got away with paying 350e for part one it osk me 1k euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8 magh

Blondee91 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this post is great. Just checking have I got it right, once you have a visa and have done the phase 1 assessment would it be a reasonable to search online or go to Australia, in the hope that you'd find an employer that would take you on to complete the phase two stage? All jobs online seem to require full regitration which could be a worry...

Would appreciate any advice :)

Hi Blondee91! Im an OT who moved to Adelaide a couple of months ago. I had done phase 1 at home too and thats all I needed to come. Only thing is when I got here I couldnt work (I am sponsored by a company) as I dont have registration with AHPRA! So Ive been on leave for the past 6 weeks waiting on it! You can apply for this from home which I regret not knowing about so Id get the ball rolling on that now if you can. I will be granted conditional registration until I have completed phase 2 of the OTC assessment and then I will get full reg.
    I applied for OTC Phase 2 when I applied for Registration, thatll be the tricky part for you as you need to know supervisors name etc to apply for Phase 2, and obviously you dont know that til you get a job!! Vicious cycle!!:) But Im sure youd be able to make a good head start on the registration without the Phase 2 stuff anyway so give that a go or youll be waiting twiddling your thumbs like me!!:)

My company looking for OT's in Adelaide so dont be stuck for work!!:)

dodgylegs wrote: »
    Hi statina,

Got a job in perth, and sponsorship, they were interviewing in Dublin before christmas. Heading out end of march :-)

I just sent off the OTC skills 1 last week. I'm trying to dodge part 2 by getting full registration. | might get full registration as "Under grandparenting law, If you have 5 years experience, and 2 australian referees, and complete 4 case studies then you can get full registration. I have 2 Australian references, but it is unclear if you had to work with them in australia!. If it works, I'll be gutted that i paid 1500$ for the initial OTC skills 1. The whole thing is an absolute money racket! Why can they not say that they recognize the WFOT courses. Hope the audit goes well for you and that your being let do it in work time! might be back onto you if i have to do it.

oh at least you got away with paying 350e for part one it osk me 1k euro

Fair play, that's great with the sponsorship. Did you get the career break in the end? Have heard great things about Perth, you will have a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 magh

dodgylegs wrote: »
    Hey Magh,

Couple of places you might want to check out:

http://www.otaus.com.au
    http://www.health.nsw.gov.au
    http://www.wjobs.com.au/
    http://www.tr7.com.au
    http://www.jobs4medical.co.uk
    http://www.jwhealth.com.au
    https://www.reedglobal.com
    http://www.sugarmangroup.com.au
    http://westjobs.com.au
    http://jobsearch.careerone.com.au

I sent off a bundle of applications last week, i've just got indication from them that they received applications. Some of the recruitment agencies, just said they wouldn't be able to do anything with my application, until i was registered!

One of the applications that I sent off on 26/06/2012, sent me a message today asking if i was in australia already or when I was coming out - so i'm taking that as a positive :)

Let me know if you have any luck

I dont know how, but I completely missed this post!! Thank you so much for your response (a very very very belated thank you!!:) Im after winding up in Adelaide, its lovely! In the process of getting my AHPRA reg! Hope evrything is going well for you!

Note to self: sign up for one of those courses for the over 70's on computer and internet skills!!!:) ha ha!

Hi all, does anyone know the processing time, from when Ahpra have taken money from account to when they make contact/ process application. Ahpra web site says 4-6 weeks, is this a true estimate? Thanks

It took about a month with me. Be prepared for longwinded emails from them which make very little sense!

hi mish88, if you look at the places that a job is most likely to come up in, and maybe ask to volunteer, even 1-2 days per week. You might be able to get them to state that they are your employer, so at least you can start the registration. Similar to ireland i would hazard a guess, that charitable organisations seem to be able to open up jobs to staff know or already in your service, so they might be your best bet. Ring or pop in rather than writing, or do both, they can ignore a cvc, but not a call. Saying this i have never been to australia, it is just a suggestion. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Seems like a lot of you OTs are going to Oz. Are there no opportunities at home or are you attracted to oz by wages etc?

I would say people have different circumstances for going to Oz. Depending on where you work, the wages may be higher or lower, and cost of living varies, but I wouldn't think people would attracted by higher wages. For some it may be an opportunity to work, for others a better quality of life. Opportunities in Ireland are limited for new graduates, there is less limitation for senior or therapists with experience. Once you are in a post, it is very difficult to move, as you are not allowed to reapply for interviews for a number of years, and transfers are only only generally given in the same county. The HSE are running a basic grade panel interview, as there have been no interviews for 3 years (i think), they were expecting 1,200 applicants. People who pass these interviews will eventually get a job, but it may take a number of years.

Wages are alot better in Oz and there are great opportunities for career progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are you all thinking of making it a long term move so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blondee91

Hi Magh, thanks for that!:) Ok so trying to get the registration ball rolling would help me out a lot.. Would you recommend going with a company then rather than going over solo? And if so can you recommend any in particular? It will be January of next year before I could head over so I'm considering these things waay in advance, just want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself in for :P
    magh wrote: »
    Hi Blondee91! Im an OT who moved to Adelaide a couple of months ago. I had done phase 1 at home too and thats all I needed to come. Only thing is when I got here I couldnt work (I am sponsored by a company) as I dont have registration with AHPRA! So Ive been on leave for the past 6 weeks waiting on it! You can apply for this from home which I regret not knowing about so Id get the ball rolling on that now if you can. I will be granted conditional registration until I have completed phase 2 of the OTC assessment and then I will get full reg.
    I applied for OTC Phase 2 when I applied for Registration, thatll be the tricky part for you as you need to know supervisors name etc to apply for Phase 2, and obviously you dont know that til you get a job!! Vicious cycle!!:) But Im sure youd be able to make a good head start on the registration without the Phase 2 stuff anyway so give that a go or youll be waiting twiddling your thumbs like me!!:)

My company looking for OT's in Adelaide so dont be stuck for work!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kenny_tash

Hi,

I am moving to Perth in July and wondering if people had gone to Australia on a working holiday visa and got OT work. Or if not how you went about applying for jobs and if you got a state sponsored visa?

Any help is really appreciated as I am getting nervous that I won't get work and I would ideally like to sort it before going out there.

Thanks,
    Tash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 annie311

Just a little thanks to the earlier "poster" of this thread i have been trawling the internet and emailing anyone and everyone to try and get a grasp on what the heck it is you're meant to do to actually work as an OT in oz!
    I've just got my stage 1 back and was planning to register but need to wait for my passport to come back and get a visa sorted first - has anyone tried the business visa - sounds like you can go for more than a year on that one otherwise from what yo've all said so far its easy to get a job and sponsorship once there? - did you start off through a locum company and get a job via that route?

Cheers for all the info posted so far though!

Ax

Which Business Visa do you mean? There is an ENS 186 Business visa but you have to have an employer willing to put you through the process.

Just received my full AHPRA registration certificate. The Stage 2 process is easy enough once you get your head around it.

Try indeed.com.au and seek.com.au for jobs. Also you could try the agencies, I personally have found Rachel Dunne from Reed Healthcare to be very good. You could email her your CV-rachael.dunne@reedglobal.com

statina wrote: »
    Which Business Visa do you mean? There is an ENS 186 Business visa but you have to have an employer willing to put you through the process.

Just received my full AHPRA registration certificate. The Stage 2 process is easy enough once you get your head around it.

Try indeed.com.au and seek.com.au for jobs. Also you could try the agencies, I personally have found Rachel Dunne from Reed Healthcare to be very good. You could email her your CV-rachael.dunne@reedglobal.com

congrats on the full aphra!, hope to get it finished in first six months

annie311 wrote: »
    Just a little thanks to the earlier "poster" of this thread i have been trawling the internet and emailing anyone and everyone to try and get a grasp on what the heck it is you're meant to do to actually work as an OT in oz!
    I've just got my stage 1 back and was planning to register but need to wait for my passport to come back and get a visa sorted first - has anyone tried the business visa - sounds like you can go for more than a year on that one otherwise from what yo've all said so far its easy to get a job and sponsorship once there? - did you start off through a locum company and get a job via that route?

Cheers for all the info posted so far though!

Ax
    Hi Annie, this might suit you. Good luck

hope you are well, just a quick email as I have a new OT vacancy and wondered if you might know anyone that is interested? It is based in South Australia, in a large town where I currently have 3 other candidates working. Please see details below:

Occupational Therapist - vacancy til end of June
    • Hospital & Community Health
    • ASAP start til 30th June
    • Tailored to suit your strengths

Join an established team of Occupational Therapists for this community based role incorporating an adult caseload across a hospital and community setting. The role will be developed to suit your strengths and interests and you will benefit from the mentoring and support from several senior clinicians.

Working alongside other health professions including nurses, physiotherapist, speech therapists, dietitians and qualified social workers. You will apply your clinical experience, knowledge and professional competence to plan , implement and evaluate a comprehensive and integrated range of services which are appropriate to the needs of the local community

You will provide a broad range of clinical and consultative services across a range of service settings, including ward work (surgical & medical), discharge planning, neuro assessments, home assessments, shower assessments, home visits, rail installation, access assessments, wheelchairs and mobility

This regional location boasts beautiful parks and gardens, caves and sinkholes. An interesting mix of galleries, museums and markets provides an insight into the culture and arts of the town. With fresh local food and wines available at many cafes and restaurants everyone’s tastes are catered for. There is a strong sporting element in the local community.

On offer:
    • Assistance with sourcing accommodation in the local area
    • Career advancement and professional development with this highly experienced team
    • The opportunity to experience working life in a culturally rich Australian town

As the successful candidate you will:
    • Hold a Tertiary qualification in Occupational Therapy and hold full AHPRA registration + 1 year post grad experience
    • Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
    • Hold a current driver’s license
    • Be available to start in April/early May

If you can think of anyone who might be interested please pass on this email.

Thank you in advance!

Yours sincerely

Rachael Dunne
    Principal Consultant
    SYDNEY
    Reed Australia
    Tel No: 02 8083 8906
    http://www.reedglobal.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annie311

Hum cant refind what i read about business visa now so i've got on and applied for a working holiday type, next stage limited registration but as far as i can see i cant do that until i have an employer? did anyone manage to sort registration before arriving in Oz or wait til you arrive?

Thanks Rachael for the heads up about jobs - im not arriving until oct/nov so too early for me job wise but if you can advise me further on registration and getting a job later in the year im pretty flexible where i go...preferably near a beach :)
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

You cannot apply for aphra 2 or limited registration untill you have a job offer. Collect the documents that you need, then when you are offered a job, you'll be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lala1234

Hi all,

I am so happy that I have found this thread and website.
    I am 23, an OT in the UK and hoping to arrive in Australia May 2014 to work as an OT with a working holiday visa.

I have been doing my research for the last few weeks and going round in circles unable to decide what is the best thing to do.

Basically I work full time for the NHS and have done so for the last 18months (graduated 2011) I carried out my elective placement as a student in Townsville, North Queensland, and have wanted to return since.
    I am hoping to get a career break from work, if not I will be leaving.
    I am aware of the AHPRA process and the costs!! $2200 in total for stage 1 & 2 of the assessments with OTC. Very expensive for someone looking to come out on a working holiday visa, I am worried that I pay this and cannot find work for 6months to go out too (can only work with one employer for 6months on WHV)
    Would it be more appropriate to look for sponsorship? What are pros and cons and any advice on this?
    I want to travel if I can, however I also want to gain further experience of working in Australia as an OT and keep up my skills however do not want to commit to anything permanent at present (hence the career break)

Any advice?
    Anyone visited Australia to work as an OT on a working holiday visa?
    Any trouble finding 6month temp work?
    I have emailed lots of agencies and queensland health etc, thanks for everyone who has posted so far lots of resources

Thanks xx

Hi Lala,

Just to let you know added to the cost of $2200 is the cost of registration. You will need to get limited registration $560, and then after you have completed limited registration & OTC2, you will need to apply for general registration which is either $260, or $560 (i'm not sure). Also I think you need to add the cost of Professional Indemnity Insurance ($400??). Someone might correct me on this.

From my experience of WA, it is possible to get sponsorship, but chances are slim. Job advertisements will say "you must be eligible to apply for registration", or you must have "Full registration". So basically you might need to complete OTC 1 to get sponsored, or in order to increase the likely hood of getting sponsored you will need to completed OTC 1. A permanent visa may increase your job opportunities, a WHV may decrease job opportunity in OT, as you can only work for an employer for 6 months.

A WHV is intended for travel and temporary/casual work. I am sure there are many people that have traveled to Oz on a WHV, and got OT jobs & sponsorship. But there are also very many that tried the same, and were unsuccessful. I wouldn't come to WA on a WHV thinking you will get sponsored.

If you intend to travel, you could get a WHV, travel and work in casual employment. You might get a role as therapy assistant etc, or care attendant, or similar field, which might pay a bit more that bar work. It will be more care free that working as an OT, and you will get to experience a real WHV. Pay wise, if you seek OT work and get a full 6 months OT work the investment may be worthwhile, but if you only end up working as an OT for 3 months it may not be a good investment. Your investment will not guarantee 6 months of OT work on a WHV.

If you intend to seek permanent work in OZ 2014, you could apply for a skilled visa. Another 3k+ for this, but it is a worthwhile investment if you are planning to look for OT work in OZ for 2 years+. It will also allow you to travel, as you can always leave a job, and try and find a new one. You wont be tied to completing 3 months regional if you want your 2nd year visa. This will give you an extra 3 months as working as an OT, thus improving your overall investment in completing OT registration.Your investment will nearly guarantees OT work.

You will need to weigh up the pros and cons of whatever decision you make. You can get both your wishes of travel and get experience, but it will come at an additional cost and at the loss of either work experience, or the experience of a WHV, you will need to do the sums.

Maybe someone else can advise on other states
    Best of Luck in making your decision.

Hey Lala

As Dodgylegs said, it's a very expensive process to get registered. I don't think she'll have to get personal indemnity insurance as I think that's only if you work in a private practice.

I came on the working holiday visa and got sponsored shortly after starting work. I found it hard to get interviews at the start due to the working holiday visa restrictions. Was very lucky to have a contact who put in a good word in for me. So use any contacts you have out here!

Pro's of sponsorship- its a possible 4 year visa with little paperwork involved. So you won't have to do regional work. It's relatively easy to change sponsors (maybe not so much after July 1) and its much easier to get another job when you have some Australian experience.

Negatives- In my experience, sponsorship is fine if you like your job and management is fine! It can be hard to negotiate wage increases, increments etc when management know you are tied to them through the visa.
    Now that's purely my experience, other friends are sponsored and have had no issues.

I wouldn't do OT if you want to have the complete experience of a WHV. There's just too much responsibility with the job to do that. When I first came out, I was toying with the option of getting a pub job or a job with no responsibilities. But then you have to weigh up the options of crap money and unsociable hours v grand hours and decent money. I have no regrets with choosing the OT route. Have done loads of travelling in between working full time as well.

Hope that's of some help and feel free to ask any more questions!

On an aside, does anyone know what the OT job front is like in Western Australia? Have been looking at indeed.com and it looks healthy enough?? Am looking to get into locum OT work.

• Advertisement

Hi Statina,

I'm guessing that most services will already have insurance in place, so you don't need to get your own.

Occupational Therapy Professional Indemnity Insurance Arrangements Registration Standard (248 KB,PDF)

I'm in WA, jobs seem to come up fairly regularly. Advertisements specifically saw preference will be given to Citizens.

you should sign up for notifications from

jobs.wa.gov.au

Advertisement