Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does having second car reduce campervan insurance?

• 27-10-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a Mazda Bongo converted campervan and I pay about 600 insurance per year. If I get a second car and it becomes my main vehicle to drive, will my campervan insurance come down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Depending on the insurance company yes, with a car as a daily driver insured, you should be paying either €325 or €380 depending on having open drive or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Printer wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a Mazda Bongo converted campervan and I pay about 600 insurance per year. If I get a second car and it becomes my main vehicle to drive, will my campervan insurance come down?

Unless the second car is very fuel efficent, so low road tax and less trips to pumps I don't see how you would be better off.

88 eurps road tax v 200+ and then second car insurance .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeh, I see what you mean. I just feel like when I use my Bongo I am constantly filling it up with diesel, but then again I will only get a really good fuel efficient car if I pay quite a lot and get a pretty new one.

I heard that if you have a car in your own name and you have fully comp insurance then you can drive any other car and be insured? Is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeh, I see what you mean. I just feel like when I use my Bongo I am constantly filling it up with diesel, but then again I will only get a really good fuel efficient car if I pay quite a lot and get a pretty new one.

I heard that if you have a car in your own name and you have fully comp insurance then you can drive any other car and be insured? Is this right?

Depending on the policy yes, but on the proviso that the car you want to drive isn't in your name or a spouse's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Welcome to the joys of a 4wd automatic. Do your sums, how much millage will you do, see if you can get a small cheap car with low road tax a 1.2 Festa or like.

• Advertisement

I've often thought of picking up a Toyota starlet for €500 so I can spin into the dealership and get the parts I forgot when I'm in the middle of servicing. I reckon the insurance break would pay for it after 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cost of maintenance on a second car would also have to be factored, and don't forget only the difference in fuel. There's probably little saving on the insurance side insuring 2 vehicles compared to the one expensive one.

imo it'd really come down to mileage, but if you're doing high mileage will a small engine car be a bit of false economy?

Fair bit of work to calculate it properly now I think about it.

Thanks guys, I really feel like I am at a loss on this one. Not sure what to do.

I estimate that I do about 20,000-25,000km per year. I think this will go up to 30,000km next year though.

At present I get about 25-28MPG in my Mazda Bongo Diesel depending on whether its a long trip or day to day driving. My insurance on it is €640 and as you know tax is €88.

Lets say I spend approx €3000 per year on diesel in the Bongo. If I get a car that gives me say 50MPG average then I am saving €1500 on diesel per year BUT take away the price of the vehicle, and insurance and tax then I am back to square 1. I would probably need to be driving it for 3 years before it makes sense.

Its not an easy call to make because also have to factor in that if I am using the Bongo everyday then more things will need replaced and more services will be needed. What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Its not an easy call to make because also have to factor in that if I am using the Bongo everyday then more things will need replaced and more services will be needed. What are your thoughts?
    Definitely not an easy call. Unless you get a relatively new car, you'll have maintenance of the car too. Obviously a newer car would increase the payback time too. I know for cars, Mazda parts are expensive, but the thinking is they're particularly reliable. Are Bongo parts very expensive?

No they are not too bad. Im a member of Bongo Fury club so we get discounted shopping which is good. Only thing is that most parts are in the UK so I have to pay shipping, I usually order lots of stuff all at once so I only pay shipping once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement