Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D15 register

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Just back from voting in castaheany and loads of people had issues with not being on the register...
    My wife saw the same earlier...
    Anyone expierience this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nope!

But how can people miss the "check the register" adverts in the media? Or the visits/forms from the council. It's up to all of us to check the register when an election is announced, and apply for Supplementary Register if possible. Ot's as easy as clicking on www.checktheregister.ie

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, happened to my fiancée, despite a woman calling to the door and taking her details to add to the register in June, a couple of weeks after she moved to the area. You start to lose all faith in the system when the simple act of taking a name and entering into a database can't be done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Sure
    But some of the people were saying they had voted in the last election in the same spot!!!!
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Nope!

But how can people miss the "check the register" adverts in the media? Or the visits/forms from the council. It's up to all of us to check the register when an election is announced, and apply for Supplementary Register if possible. Ot's as easy as clicking on www.checktheregister.ie

fisherking wrote: »
    Sure
    But some of the people were saying they had voted in the last election in the same spot!!!!

We have had forms every year since we moved in, from the council, to get on the register. Every year I fill them in and return them. When I lived in the UK they used to do a new register every year so I always make sure to send the stuff in...just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, happened to my fiancée, despite a woman calling to the door and taking her details to add to the register in June, a couple of weeks after she moved to the area. You start to lose all faith in the system when the simple act of taking a name and entering into a database can't be done properly.

But you need to go to a Garda station to get on to the electoral register, no one else can do it for you as the guards have to sign it off for you in person.

Just curious who was offering to do it? Identity theft possible in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've never had to go to a Garda station to get on the register?!

Lived at four different addresses over the past four years and voted at three of them...?

January wrote: »
    I've never had to go to a Garda station to get on the register?!

Lived at four different addresses over the past four years and voted at three of them...?

Correct, that is spot on but allot of people go automatically on to the electoral register once they turn 18.

However there are some people that are not on the register (for what ever reason) then they need to get a form signed by the Gardi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Getting the form stamped at the garda office is new to the procedure but fingal co council did in the last year have reps on the door steps with id who took down the detail for the register.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Getting the form stamped at the garda office is new to the procedure but fingal co council did in the last year have reps on the door steps with id who took down the detail for the register.

Interesting, it might be worth me finding out when that came in to being. Thanks Sharrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

In various different constituencies that I know of people have been coming to houses and making sure that the register was up to date for years. It has probably been happening all over the country. My name was incorrect on the register as they had the Irish version of my first name and it was corrected by the lady that came to the door in the constituency I was in. My brother was also added to the register that way.

In various different constituencies that I know of people have been coming to houses and making sure that the register was up to date for years. It has probably been happening all over the country. My name was incorrect on the register as they had the Irish version of my first name and it was corrected by the lady that came to the door in the constituency I was in. My brother was also added to the register that way.

Thanks.

Fingal county council need to address this and perhaps by next summer in preparation for the local area elections of 2013.

You only need the Gardai to sign a form to get on the Supplementary Register, ie the register produced when an election is called - to include people not on the general register.

So if you get a form in the door or a person from Fingal, you just fill that in and send it off. If a vote is called, you check the register to make sure you're on it. If not you have to apply to get on the Supplementary register, and need the form signed.

Advertisement