Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was the election on thursday?

• 27-10-2011 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I'm sure a lot of people aren't able to vote on Thursdays with being away at work or college during the week so why have the vote on a Thursday?

Plus schools were closed today and reopening tomorrow, would it not have made sense to have the vote on Friday instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

If schools are an issue, surely weekend voting would be the answer?

Usual suspicion around the Thursday voting is to prevent student radical voting, but I'm sure there's a more straightforward answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I have always wondered why they have to be on a weekday at all. Why not at the weekend, on a Saturday. And then leave the schools open....

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

No, no. It's just to stop the students voting. The govt thought Norris had a chance at the time of the decision but it will probably work against Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do realise that students can vote?

It is a national election / referendum after all.

People should be registered where they live, not where they go for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Elections in Ireland have always taken place on Thursday (as in the UK) as far as I know.

Interestingly Sunday, which for many would be the logical day is expressly forbade (along with Good Friday and Public Holiday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Victor wrote: »

Yes I know students can vote but they are registered in their home place not in their college town where they during the week.

Plus I know a lot of people who work in a different county for the week and come home at the weekend.

You're probably going to say that they should change where they are registered but if the voting was on a Friday they wouldn't have to.

But I live in on campus in UCD. I'm doing Arts and I'll be finished in 2014. When is the next election going to be? General election should be, if the govt goes its full term, in 2015. I have no affinity to any local councillors in this area so why should I go to the hassle of changing where I vote.

I was able to vote this morning because I was going home last night for another thing, otherwise I wouldn't have voted. The same for every other student outside the Dublin Bus radius. The deadline for a postal vote came and went with the vast majority not knowing about it, including the Students Union who were very annoyed about it.

There would have been no hassle for students if it had been held on a Friday or at the weekend.

mike65 wrote: »
    Elections in Ireland have always taken place on Thursday (as in the UK) as far as I know.

Interestingly Sunday, which for many would be the logical day is expressly forbade (along with Good Friday and Public Holiday)

Is there anything priests haven't ruined :(

mike65 wrote: »

General election this year was a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

As far as I can remember the last time we had an election/referendum on a Thursday was the local and European elections in 2004. I have no idea why they changed as historically they had been on Thurs and they changed to Friday to suit travelling voters like students.

Maybe they didn't want the count going on on Sunday seeing as it was going to be a two day count - can't think of any other reason.

• Advertisement

It does look like it's to prevent students from voting or is there another reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed! Dunno why I forgot that. There was plenty of take about it at the time (moving it for the students blah blah blah). Was there a higher youth turnout does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the only thing that prevents students from voting is the students themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Victor wrote: »

True but several thing intervene changing your vote. Mainly most County Councils will only focus on the register at a certain time of the year, do all the work in the one go. Change your details in Sept, you may have moved/dropped out/can't find where to go to give your new details etc by June. Plus that pesky studying and exams may get in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Plazaman wrote: »
    True but several thing intervene changing your vote. Mainly most County Councils will only focus on the register at a certain time of the year, do all the work in the one go. Change your details in Sept, you may have moved/dropped out/can't find where to go to give your new details etc by June. Plus that pesky studying and exams may get in the way.

You can apply to go on the "Supplementary register" once you apply more than 15 working days (3 weeks to ye students) before the election date. To be honest I would have sorted it in advance - but I am a political nerd;);)

That said Friday is a much more suitable day for an election so I have no idea why it was changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

schools arfe all closed all next week so it would have made sense to have it then
    but hey
    its because we're different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's the infuriating thing about democracy. It's not possible to change the day of the week to vote on because you don't even to get to vote on it and even then you might not be able to travel.

Advertisement