Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should 2fm change name ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Caledonman wrote: »
    I love reading your posts Hugo. Have you ever looked at the figures for Newstalk or 2fm?? Staff in there are poorly paid, I agree, but there is a fair price for a fair days work, and probable is half way between RTE salaries and for example Newstalk. RTE are so like where Aer Lingus were before Muller took control there. He cut, he cut, he stood up to unions, took no crap, and in my opinion, saved the airline by brining expenditure in line with income. That is what RTE have to do. It will happen eventually, they don't have the huge budgets they were blessed with over the years.

Thanks, Caledonman, for the positive feedback; I like it! And it's good to discuss in a calm forum.

But the question I have is, who would pay for the two orchestras if things got as bad as you are predicting? I often use that in conversation with civilians, and find it's a show-stopper. (We lost the Players [the Rep] and the Singers years ago, and it feels as if there's little left that could be sacrificed.)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

But the question I have is, who would pay for the two orchestras if things got as bad as you are predicting?

A TV viewer should not be forced to fund orchestras..... full stop.
    Where's the funding for Sean Nós before orchestras?
    This is Ireland after all.
    I often use that in conversation with civilians, and find it's a show-stopper.

Civilians?
    What does that make you Hugo?

mikom wrote: »
    A TV viewer should not be forced to fund orchestras..... full stop.
    Where's the funding for Sean Nós before orchestras?
    This is Ireland after all.

Civilians?

Mikom's point is less telling that might seem to be the case. It is a truth universally acknowlewdged that without Raidió Éireann, Sean Nós singing would have died out, probably by the end of the 1950's. It was people like Ciarán Mac Mathúna, travelling the roads of Ireland, funded by the radio tax, who recorded the music and gave it prominence and prestige nationally, at a time when it had earned the sophisticated contempt of the mass of the people. Public service at its very best, I would argue.

Similarly, without the RTECO, where would occasions like the National Song Contest be, and would we ever have staged such successful Eurovision Grand Prix Song Contests under Noel Kelehan as we did? The NSO, as the only professional symphony orchestra south of the border, is a cultural jewel in the crown of the nation. Without it we would be the only sovereign state in Europe without a professional symphony orchestra, and a laughing stock in musical circles. Without RTE, it would have to be paid for directly by the Exchequer.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Thanks, Caledonman, for the positive feedback; I like it! And it's good to discuss in a calm forum.

But the question I have is, who would pay for the two orchestras if things got as bad as you are predicting? I often use that in conversation with civilians, and find it's a show-stopper. (We lost the Players [the Rep] and the Singers years ago, and it feels as if there's little left that could be sacrificed.)

Hugo Brady Brown

With all due respect to their abilities and talents, they are a waste of money!! There is a chosen few that would miss them, not the general public or typical working class, again in my opinion. Its like the Garda Band.... what is their real function? I know it is to play and entertain, but it doesn't happen often. They probably could be an independent commercial unit??

Sean Nós singing would have died out, probably by the end of the 1950's.

I would counter that by saying that Sean Nós survived worse oppression over the years than the onslaught of pop music and that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was not the only life buoy it could cling on to.
    The subsequent Sean Nós singers did not learn their skill from a bloated radio station I can tell you that for certain.

Now......
    Originally Posted by HugoBradyBrown viewpost.gif

Civilians?
    Part of the trade?
    A higher power?

I would counter that by saying that Sean Nós survived worse oppression over the years than the onslaught of pop music and that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was not the only life buoy it could cling on to.
    The subsequent Sean Nós singers did not learn their skill from a bloated radio station I can tell you that for certain.

Now......

Civilians?
    Part of the trade?
    A higher power?

Attention to what is written will lead to accurate comprehension. Two distinct aspects of my rather simple argument have been lost on some of us, at least.

I did not say that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was 'the only lifebuoy [sean nós singing] could cling on to'. I indicated that people like Ciarán, through the magic of radio, gave a heightened prestige and prominence to a musical style and genre that was disdained by the soi disant sophisticates who set the cultural tone in this country in the 1950's and later. It was a case of 'when it was neither popular nor profitable'. Of course, once the bandwagon got on the road successfully, many of these erstwhile disdainers hailed the vehicle, clambered on board, took front seats and, in some cases, took control of the steering-wheel. But at least Henry Street had played its heroic role in preserving what was about to be lost.

For clarity: (1) 'people like Ciarán' and (2) 'gave a heightened prestige and prominence'. All clear now, I hope!

The critics, as always, also lined up immediately, moving on from sneering at sean nós music (and dancing), and started to denounce the new RTE as if it was some featherbedded Turkish harem out in Montrose, kitted out only for the comfort of its own personnel. But we are used to that, I can tell you!

Hugo Brady Brown

I did not say that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was 'the only lifebuoy [sean nós singing] could cling on to'.

But at least Henry Street had played its heroic role in preserving what was about to be lost.

How would it have been lost if Ciarán Mac Mathúna was not 'the only lifebuoy?
    Time to make up your mind.

The critics, as always, also lined up immediately, moving on from sneering at sean nós music (and dancing), and started to denounce the new RTE as if it was some featherbedded Turkish harem out in Montrose, kitted out only for the comfort of its own personnel. But we are used to that, I can tell you!

Telling.....
    Readers take note.

Again.
    Originally Posted by HugoBradyBrown

Civilians?
    Part of the trade?
    A higher power?

Attention to what is written will lead to accurate comprehension. Two distinct aspects of my rather simple argument have been lost on some of us, at least.

I did not say that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was 'the only lifebuoy [sean nós singing] could cling on to'. I indicated that people like Ciarán, through the magic of radio, gave a heightened prestige and prominence to a musical style and genre that was disdained by the soi disant sophisticates who set the cultural tone in this country in the 1950's and later. It was a case of 'when it was neither popular nor profitable'. Of course, once the bandwagon got on the road successfully, many of these erstwhile disdainers hailed the vehicle, clambered on board, took front seats and, in some cases, took control of the steering-wheel. But at least Henry Street had played its heroic role in preserving what was about to be lost.

For clarity: (1) 'people like Ciarán' and (2) 'gave a heightened prestige and prominence'. All clear now, I hope!

Hugo Brady Brown

How would it have been lost if Ciarán Mac Mathúna was not 'the only lifebuoy?
    Time to make up your mind.

I am having considerable difficulty in coming to any reasonable understanding of the point Mikom intends making in the above sentence 'Time to make up your mind'. My mind is clearly made up, and there is no equivocation. I see in what I have posted only a consistent reiteration of the same point, with clarification where Mikom misunderstood what I had written. Once more, with feeling, so:

"I did not say that Ciarán Mac Mathúna was 'the only lifebuoy [sean nós singing] could cling on to'. I indicated that people like Ciarán, through the magic of radio, gave a heightened prestige and prominence to a musical style and genre that was disdained by the soi disant sophisticates who set the cultural tone in this country in the 1950's and later."

This means that sean nós music was a genre held in general contempt in the 1950's and later. In Henry Street, people like our own Ciarán came on the scene and used the resources, the technology, the prestige, the culture and the intelligence available within Raidió Éireann to lead to an enhanced public acceptance of the music. Not Ciarán on his own, but in cooperation with colleagues. I remain certain that the style would have fallen away had Raidió Éireann not done this. (Contrast our happy experience with the loss of similar traditions in the Gaelic culture of the Isle of Man, where there was no official, governmental or broadcasting interest at the time in that culture.)

" ... the new RTÉ ..."

Telling.....
    Readers take note.

Again.

By the new RTÉ, I meant merely the merger of Teilifís with Raidió Éireann later in the 1960's as Raidió Telefís Éireann (later Radio Telefís Éireann), and nothing more sinister.

Hugo Brady Brown

Civilians?
    Part of the trade?
    A higher power?

You are/have been connected to RTE in some form so, other than being a listener/watcher Hugo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You are/have been connected to RTE in some form so, other than being a listener/watcher Hugo?

...and the Pope is possibly Catholic and wears a pointy hat?

The propaganda machine in full effect, selective answers, bombastic and largely irrelevant walls of text and quasi-significant historical references and name dropping with regard to the national broadcaster; all attempts to bury valid and continuing criticism in virtual paper and hope the unwashed turn their critical ear elsewhere, as far as I can gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

Wertz wrote: »
    Originally Posted by mikom

The propaganda machine in full effect, selective answers, bombastic and largely irrelevant walls of text and quasi-significant historical references and name dropping with regard to the national broadcaster; all attempts to bury valid and continuing criticism in virtual paper and hope the unwashed turn their critical ear elsewhere, as far as I can gather.

Yeah. He's been over on the Marty Whelan thread for months now pushing Whelan's 3 hour graveyard on Lyric. I think he works in Whelans studio or else he works for Masterson - he's advertising that pathetic Katherine Jenkins now on boards and it's gettin' mighty annoyin' out here I can tell you!!! And he's pushing that fool Neven Maguire off the afternoon TV that Whelan was on as well. They have no faith in themselves now on the air so they have stooges posting sh1t about them here and every where. Who is he - somebody find out? It's not Whelan anyway coz he's paid too much to bother with boards so he must be his coffee grinder. The monkey adn the coffee grinder - arf arf!!!

Autumn re-sits with the Pass paper, perhaps?

A Tesco value-pack Stephen Fry shilling for RTE.
    Sphincters must be quivering in Montrose to resort to this.

A Tesco value-pack Stephen Fry shilling for RTE.
    Sphincters must be quivering in Montrose to resort to this.

Please be assured that Montrose is an oasis of unruffled calm. It would take a lot more than a storm in a chamberpot to raise waves, you may be sure. However, the evident concern is greatly to be welcomed.

Hugo Brady Brown

Once again.....

Be careful with your answer.

Once again.....

Be careful with your answer.

My intuition is that the reason all of us are here is that we are connected with RTE in one way or another, whether as TV tax payers, or as tax evaders with a date with destiny before the District Judge!

Indeed, my experience is that some outsiders have more of an obsession than the insiders; less knowledge, of course, but, I suppose, that tends to fortify their opinions!

Allow me to be your Guide! Your RTE Guide!

With great care,

Hugo Brady Brown ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

2.0FM

(2 point oh!)

My intuition is that the reason all of us are here is that we are connected with RTE in one way or another, whether as TV tax payers, or as tax evaders with a date with destiny before the District Judge!

Indeed, my experience is that some outsiders have more of an obsession than the insiders; less knowledge, of course, but, I suppose, that tends to fortify their opinions!

Allow me to be your Guide! Your RTE Guide!

With great care,

Hugo Brady Brown ;)

You are not doing yourself any favors here.
    Sidestep as predicted by Wertz.

Once again.....

I have never been connected to RTE in any form, other than being a listener/watcher on occasion.

Again be careful with your answer.

I'm not sure of forum rules specific to Radio and TV, but I'm pretty sure that on other parts of the site (the Talk To... business section in particular) posters speaking in an official role or with a vested interest, commercially or in the employ of, must declare it in the interests of fairness to other posters, especially those who may not be regulars.

It's been fairly evident that the gentleman takes more than a passing interest in most things RTÉ and possibly has something to gain by talking up various programmes and presenters.
    Of course it could be just as easily said that some of us are merely here to poke holes in anything and everything coming out of Donnybrook and that we're perhaps in the employ of certain other commercial stations....except for the point that only in the likes of the national broadcaster could someone possibly be tasked with parrying criticism and bigging up those who attract negative comments.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have anything against someone shilling for RTÉ in this manner, if they declared their interest. It would be refreshing to see the outfit engaging with their audience and licence payers on even ground rather than talking down to them and sending them a bill once a year...
    I often wondered why there was no interaction available over on their official website (FB doesn't count).

Just to stay on topic, should 2FM change it's name?
    To paraphrase, a turd by any other name would reek as foul is my honest take on it... names and brands are not the crux of the problem, it is one of identity and listener appeal.

I'm not sure of forum rules specific to Radio and TV, but I'm pretty sure that on other parts of the site (the Talk To... business section in particular) posters speaking in an official role or with a vested interest, commercially or in the employ of, must declare it in the interests of fairness to other posters, especially those who may not be regulars.

It's been fairly evident that the gentleman takes more than a passing interest in most things RTÉ and possibly has something to gain by talking up various programmes and presenters.
    Of course it could be just as easily said that some of us are merely here to poke holes in anything and everything coming out of Donnybrook and that we're perhaps in the employ of certain other commercial stations....except for the point that only in the likes of the national broadcaster could someone possibly be tasked with parrying criticism and bigging up those who attract negative comments.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have anything against someone shilling for RTÉ in this manner, if they declared their interest. It would be refreshing to see the outfit engaging with their audience and licence payers on even ground rather than talking down to them and sending them a bill once a year...
    I often wondered why there was no interaction available over on their official website (FB doesn't count).

Just to stay on topic, should 2FM change it's name?
    To paraphrase, a turd by any other name would reek as foul is my honest take on it... names and brands are not the crux of the problem, it is one of identity and listener appeal.

We once enjoyed a service called FM3 (and later RTE FM3 Music, then LyricFM and now RTE Lyric FM), so perhaps 2FM could mutate into FM2.

My shillingsworth.

Hugo Brady Brown

Once again.....

I have never been connected to RTE in any form, other than being a listener/watcher on occasion.

Again be careful with your answer.

The silence speaks volumes.

I'll take it as given so that you are connected to RTE in some form.
    I'll be sure to alert others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The name is now toxic and its dead, 2fm need a total revamp and an new name imo.

2FM (drop the RTÉ bit, as it was previously) coupled with a massive schedule shake up might do the trick. Even BBC R1 in the UK shows up as just Radio 1 on my car radio - it's not hip (!) to have the name of a national broadcaster with a younger audience station.

The silence speaks volumes.

I'll take it as given so that you are connected to RTE in some form.
    I'll be sure to alert others.

I wonder if it is envisaged to place full-page ads in the national press for this purpose! This sounds almost as energetic as wanting to invade Poland before tea. I am glad that the equanimity within Radio Centre I spoke of recently extends to my good self. If it did not, I should be inclined to interpret the quoted post as a warning bordering on the menacing.

I tend to find that when my views becomes unanswerable, some people find that they become simultaneously unbearable, and they begin to rummage about for some incidental or collateral aspect of them in an effort to harry me or to muddy the waters in some way.

As Gay used to tell us from time to time, there's always the 'Off' button!

Hugo Brady Brown

I wonder if it is envisaged to place full-page ads in the national press for this purpose! This sounds almost as energetic as wanting to invade Poland before tea. I am glad that the equanimity within Radio Centre I spoke of recently extends to my good self. If it did not, I should be inclined to interpret the quoted post as a warning bordering on the menacing.

I tend to find that when my views becomes unanswerable, some people find that they become simultaneously unbearable, and they begin to rummage about for some incidental or collateral aspect of them in an effort to harry me or to muddy the waters in some way.

Hugo Brady Brown

More waffle..... and still my query sits unanswered

Be seeing you round, Mr insider.

More waffle..... and still my query sits unanswered

Be seeing you round, Mr insider.

Yeah and he's a bully trying to frighten off people who know whats going on. All he is is is a Huge Brazen Brownnose for his pals in RTE!! WE can't criticize him but he can slag us off as much as he can. Fairs fair so get him off here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

TacaFail wrote: »
    Yeah and he's a bully trying to frighten off people who know whats going on. All he is is is a Huge Brazen Brownnose for his pals in RTE!! WE can't criticize him but he can slag us off as much as he can. Fairs fair so get him off here!

At what point did this place become Nazi Germany? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No point changing the name unless you get rid of everyone on it and actually change what their aims are, I don't listen to 2fm much all I really here is hey kids lets play some hits every other channel is, and then sometimes the hey lets play some obscure music that's really just alternative bands that are over exposed anyway.

Maybe a little harsh? No my real issue is with Rte Radio 1...
    I also have come to despise NewsTalk

We need a proper talk radio station that isn't talking about current affairs except for one slot in a day but talk about interesting less visited issues, does anyone remember that charity talk radio station that was on for a month a year or two ago that was great, really interesting topics.

Radio is actually a lot more interesting without over paid journalists and rte "stars"

Or the /ignore poster button.

But there's no fun in that.
    In the inimitable words of Marvin - Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?

telekon wrote: »
    At what point did this place become Nazi Germany? :confused:

Every one here wants him off Mister Dictionary - he's just trolling to get our backs up and its not funny whoever you are telekom. Are the mods asleep or are they watching football!:mad::mad::mad: I'm going to find the threads he is ruining and get him out off them all.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

TacaFail wrote: »
    Every one here wants him off Mister Dictionary - he's just trolling to get our backs up and its not funny whoever you are telekom. Are the mods asleep or are they watching football!:mad::mad::mad: I'm going to find the threads he is ruining and get him out off them all.!!!

Are you calling me or Hugo "Mister Dictionary"? :confused: I can understand you calling Hugo that but I wouldn't usually be the most eloquent poster here....

If he's trolling then fair f*ckin' play to him... more brains than most trolls I've witnessed over the years and his extensive knowledge of most things RTÉ and impeccable diction would suggest to me a well mannered gentleman of latter years, not your typical 20 something overweight basement dweller with acne. If I've been trolled then bravo good sir, but nah...

I might not agree with or like much of what he has to say but once he doesn't insult anyone he as much right as any of us to argue his corner...although I would once again say that if he has a commercial interest in the station/broadcaster he defends, he should say so...

[edit] In light of recent readings, an edible hat might be in order, but the jury is still out...

• Advertisement

If he's trolling then fair f*ckin' play to him... more brains than most trolls I've witnessed over the years and his extensive knowledge of most things RTÉ and impeccable diction would suggest to me a well mannered gentleman of latter years, not your typical 20 something overweight basement dweller with acne. If I've been trolled then bravo good sir, but nah...

I might not agree with or like much of what he has to say but once he doesn't insult anyone he as much right as any of us to argue his corner...although I would once again say that if he has a commercial interest in the station/broadcaster he defends, he should say so...

[edit] In light of recent readings, an edible hat might be in order, but the jury is still out...

Well said Wertz. I honestly don't understand why people get so worked up over words. In relation to opinions, 2 people can have polar opposite opinions, and both be right. In relation to advise and opinions, the great thing about them is you don't have to agree. (in my opinion).

There've been "developments" in recent days caledonman...it appears the good Mr Brown may be more spit than polish after all.
    It's all very murky and tbh I'm past caring...

This fedora on the other hand is remarkably tasty.

Hugo Brady Brown

Hugo, you have to be the biggest wind up on here!! The sad thing is people are falling for it. Maybe you work for Michael O'Leary part time??

Caledonman wrote: »
    Hugo, you have to be the biggest wind up on here!! The sad thing is people are falling for it. Maybe you work for Michael O'Leary part time??

He was caught out and banned.

Advertisement