Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People that leave boards

• 27-10-2011 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

I was just perusing some old forums I used to read and noticed a couple of memorable names have 'closed accounts' and left boards, presumably for good.

I'd image the people that did such a thing don't really wish to be discussed any more, so without naming any names or anything:

Do you think

people that closed their account actually leave boards for good or do they come back later with a more anonymous new account?

why do they leave in the first place?

Why don't they just stop posting? Why go to the trouble of closing an account?

how common is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Too much of a distraction I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

People leave for different reasons, get bored and find another interest. Real life takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Speak not of the traitors who have left us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'd say quite a few just change account.

Another reason would be they got a new job where they actually have to work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't understand it really, like you said why not just take a break from posting if your tired of the site. I say it will become more common now that you can close your own account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Leaving your account sitting there un-closed is just teasing other users, toying with their emotions. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make it clear that it's over. That you are not coming back. There will be no more late night PMs, chit chatting about other Boardsies, being there for them when a thread full of bullies turn on them. Just be cruel to be kind. Make it clear that you're not going to return by CLOSING that account on your way out. If nothing else, it will prevent users sitting naked in the corner of a bedsit, rocking back and forth with a cheap bottle of Lidl wine, as they F5 your profile for hours at a time, praying to God that just once more, your little green light will flash back on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Leaving your account sitting there un-closed is just teasing other users, toying with their emotions. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make it clear that it's over. That you are not coming back. There will be no more late night PMs, chit chatting about other Boardsies, being there for them when a thread full of bullies turn on them. Just be cruel to be kind. Make it clear that you're not going to return by CLOSING that account on your wait out. If nothing else it will prevent users sitting naked in the corner of a bedsit, rocking back and forth with a cheap bottle of Lidl wine, as they F5 your profile for hours at a time, praying to God that just once more, your little green light will flash back on.

Thanks whore post.. sue me.
    tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I thought about cancelling the aul account as I was procrastinating too much. The main thing that stopped me was that I wouldn't be able to get straight to the point in the thread that I left from.
    That and I have been really busy lately and haven't been on much so realised that I only was here because I had time to.
    And as the saying goes, if you enjoy wasting time then it isn't time wasted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

How dare you Sir bring up such a sensitive subject and the FBI Investigation of '06 into Boardsies still fresh in our minds.

I am outraged and hereby declare my intention to leave Boards*

Good Day.

* Eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Boards is a valuable resource. I've gotten more valuable advice here (not obviously 'here' in AH) than anywhere else.

Couldn't imagine ever closing my account, even if I got bored posting in threads like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

How do you close your account?

I am thinking of doing it before I get fired :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yakult wrote: »
    tl;dr

Hey were all in it for the thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yakult wrote: »
    tl;dr

One paragraph?

Christ Twitter has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

how common is it?
    About to get a lot more common I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

There's something so, what's the term, conclusive about it. Like one you close it it's closed and no going back. Like they die in the boards.ie world. It's a bit sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Leaving your account sitting there un-closed is just teasing other users, toying with their emotions. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing and make it clear that it's over. That you are not coming back. There will be no more late night PMs, chit chatting about other Boardsies, being there for them when a thread full of bullies turn on them. Just be cruel to be kind. Make it clear that you're not going to return by CLOSING that account on your wait out. If nothing else it will prevent users sitting naked in the corner of a bedsit, rocking back and forth with a cheap bottle of Lidl wine, as they F5 your profile for hours at a time, praying to God that just once more, your little green light will flash back on.

Thanks whore post.. sue me.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

SPLITTERS!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd imagine most people who do it set up another account after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ever consider closing your a/c and walking away from boards dudess?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

I miss someone who still has an active account but has stopped posting regularly because she is "very old" and has "a bad internet connection".

A fiesty oul one she is. If you're reading **a*e** COME BACK............... I love you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Do some get married and give up...or in my case, I took it up after I got married !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They either rejoin or lurk. Hard to get away from this place..

As you can see by my join date and post count. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Shun the non-believers. SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.

I think some people just try and re-invent themselves when their original user persona ran it's course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

there was one like this locked the other day, so IBT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Some leave because they are bullied. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hondasam wrote: »
    People leave for different reasons, get bored and find another interest. Real life takes over.

i would like to think most people on boards have a life and boards is a little nixer where they can have a lil banter now and again and frequent areas on the site that interests them.

by and large i think most of the people seem decent enough here but some seriously dodgey posts i have seen...

erm on ah. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I'm fairly new here but I love it. I would often Google something and be brought here and wished I had an account to add to said thread. I however hate how non anon it is! All you have to do is took at threads started and posts to tell a lot about me, I really hate that as I know a lot of people who use boards and worry they could "identify" me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CarMe wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who use boards and worry they could "identify" me.

Hi John.

See you at work in the morning - don't forget... the staff meeting is at 8.30 sharp.

• Advertisement

Kasabian wrote: »
    I think some people just try and re-invent themselves when their original user persona ran it's course.

Yes you are probably right but you will always figure out who they are again.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

No problem Terry, I'm your man!

Yes you are probably right but you will always figure out who they are again.

I wouldn't bet on it. :pac:

Kasabian wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet on it. :pac:

well I would:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Do not think of me gone and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some get bitter as they get passed over for modship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

mikemac wrote: »
    With nearly 20,000 posts you must be eligible for a modship?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to be a mod here. :)

I can't imagine anyone would leave because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

With nearly 20,000 posts you must be eligible for a modship?

Don't need the hassle :)
    I can't imagine anyone would leave because of that.

American football forum about two years ago

One hell of a row over in feedback

I'm off to search for that thread, it was incredibly heated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

say what you mean and mean what you say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It's just an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    It's just an internet forum.

but still its people, in their rawest and most faceless form. if they want it.. share your innermost else fùck off, completely socially inept if we can't here imo. Long term refuge I'll never leave, but I might get booted if I interact more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Larianne wrote: »
    They either rejoin or lurk. Hard to get away from this place..

As you can see by my join date and post count. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I seriously considered closing mine recently. Apart from wasting too much time here, there are certain awkward parts of my life that I tend to associate with being here. There are certain aspects of my internet persona that I can't stand; I hate and regret quite a lot of the stuff I've posted here. Closing this account could possibly help me distance myself from that kinda stuff.....

.....but then I'd have lost a few friends I've made on here over the past few years. And I'd inevitably end up re-reging anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

CarMe wrote: »
    . I however hate how non anon it is! All you have to do is took at threads started and posts to tell a lot about me, I really hate that as I know a lot of people who use boards and worry they could "identify" me.

WTF? YOU'RE the one who posts up the info so if you want to remain anonymous just don't post identifying info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Many leave in what they think is a blaze of glory but really their departure causes a minor frisson and boards life merrily proceeds as normal.

Also a few of the higher-profile 'protest departures' and/or site-bannings were a source of delight to me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I was just perusing some old forums I used to read and noticed a couple of memorable names have 'closed accounts' and left boards, presumably for good.

I'd image the people that did such a thing don't really wish to be discussed any more, so without naming any names or anything:

Do you think

people that closed their account actually leave boards for good or do they come back later with a more anonymous new account?

why do they leave in the first place?

Why don't they just stop posting? Why go to the trouble of closing an account?

how common is it?

Things change

People change

Deansgrange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ive thought of leaving it many times because boards just destroys my faith in humanity. Its nice sometimes when you go out into the real world and realise that not everyone is a bitter, racist wanker (present company excluded of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've acted like a prat on this website on occasion...got into ridiculous arguments that got me genuinely pissed off and I was THAT much away from closing my account. Still, that's how I am in the real world on occasion (not as frequently as here by a long shot) and I'm learning to bite my tongue and not to think so black and white about things just because I don't agree. I can be terribly self-righteous sometimes but I'm coping on. It's a lesson I've learned here and taken on board (on BOARD...Boards...geddit?) for the real world too.

And I've genuinly learned a lot from most of you here and some of you have challenged my own presumptions and principles I thought were set in stone. The frequent wisdom in here blows me away.

Plus it's my link to home. Nice to chat to "my people" when I've no fecking clue what's going on with these people I live among (which is a daily occurance). You keep me updated on the happenings from home more than any newspaper.

And some of you have been very kind to me and dug me out when I was feeling ****ty and gave me a kick up the arse (or something kinder) and I'm grateful for that.

Still debate in my head whether it's healthy to get all that from a website though...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement