Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideal classic boiler won't start

• 27-10-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

my boiler starts and stops in a few minutes of turning it on, I've checked thermostat and timer and cleaned the insides of carbon deposits but its the same problem. the radiators stay cold but the boiler upstairs is getting hot and we have hot water. what should i do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

zone valves, (if fitted?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are you sure it is actually starting and you aren't just hearing it trying to start and failing?

What fuels the boiler? Kerosene, gas?

Do you have an immersion heater element in the Hot Water cylinder that is on a timer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It sounds like a circulating pump failure, which can happen if you haven't used the heating for months. The pump might just be stuck, and as the previous poster suggested, your hot water may be simply the result of your immersion heater being left on.

If the circulating pump is stuck or faulty then the boiler will be sensing high water temperature because nothing is coming back from your rads. In that case it will turn off after a minute or two.

Often the pumps can be got going again with a few careful taps with a hammer -- place a thin piece of wood against the pump casing and tap it with a hammer, but don't flog the guts out of it! A number of steady taps might be enough to jar it loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭binosusan

ART6 wrote: »
    It sounds like a circulating pump failure, which can happen if you haven't used the heating for months. The pump might just be stuck, and as the previous poster suggested, your hot water may be simply the result of your immersion heater being left on.

If the circulating pump is stuck or faulty then the boiler will be sensing high water temperature because nothing is coming back from your rads. In that case it will turn off after a minute or two.

Often the pumps can be got going again with a few careful taps with a hammer -- place a thin piece of wood against the pump casing and tap it with a hammer, but don't flog the guts out of it! A number of steady taps might be enough to jar it loose.

thankyou so much my boiler is working again . your help is so much appreciated. thankyou all for replying.

Advertisement