Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Record player question?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

i know there is another related record player thread.

but i need help from those that are in the know.

i want to buy a record player just so i can play vinyl obviously

i was thinking of this

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1906346/art/pioneer/pl-990-turntable.html#pix-review

Would this be a good choice of a record player

and with a record player do i hear sound from it or do i need speakers

cheers

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

Comments

From that very advertisement:
    Just connect the Pioneer PL990 to the auxiliary input of your HiFi system for instant sound.

You need speakers.

No idea if it's any good

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Not sure how helpful this is, but I have a stereo system that is Pioneer and over 20 years old and the turntable although not exactly the same, looks very much like that one. So I guess what I'm saying is, 20 years old, still working, that's a good endorsment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Need speakers, and an Amplifier. And I wouldn't touch pixmania with a ten foot pole. Go to a hiring shop and listen to a few turntables before you buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Need speakers, and an Amplifier. And I wouldn't touch pixmania with a ten foot pole. Go to a hiring shop and listen to a few turntables before you buy...

Is there a reason for this. Just wondering, as I bought a camera from them last year and had no issues, price was great. Maybe the problem would be if the item was faulty. Interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Separates are great but expensive, I think NAD make the best low-range equipment but I'm no expert, I'm just basing it on my own use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Is there a reason for this. Just wondering, as I bought a camera from them last year and had no issues, price was great. Maybe the problem would be if the item was faulty. Interested to know.

I have had nothing but bad experience with Pixmania with them mixing up orders, not delivering orders and absolutely no standard of customer care whatsover - They are all show in terms of their website when it comes to selling you something but just try and get in touch with them when the order doesn't appear - then you get stuck with a faceless customer care email service where each response takes a minimum of 24 hours and sometimes days before they respond, normally with some standard statement like 'we have received your query and will endeavour to resolve blah blah...'

Anyhow rant over! I noticed a typo in my original post should have read 'HiFi', not 'hiring'. The logic of going to an actual shop in this case is that you can discuss your needs, budget and expectations with a real person who knows about turntables. You can listen to different setups and make your own mind up. HiFi systems are a bit like wine - everyones taste is different and everyone can taste the same wine differently, in the same way everyone can listen to a HiFi system differently. You need to test drive a system to make sure its what you want.

Advertisement