Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Questions?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of a moment with this so can someone enlighten me please :)

Just got my Msi 560 ti oc and put it in my pc,
    it has 2 6 pin connectors on the back for the psu, my psu is a super flower amazon which has 4 6 pin connectors coming out of it,
    2 cables coming from the psu and 2 6 pins on each cable.
    One connector has pci express stamped on it the other has sli ready stamped on it.
    Do i connect both connectors from the one lead to the back of the gpu or one connector from each of the 2 leads into the back of it.

The system is working Im typing this on it :) but i havent tried to game yet and wont until i resolve this probably very obvious problem ( tried google with no luck also the 1 page of a manual isn't very helpful)

Also now all my windows index scores are above 7 with the exception of my ram (its 5.9?) which is 2 x 2gb g skill ripjaws, will the only way to get this number up be to increase the ram to 8gb or is there something wrong with my ram as I have seen people with 4gb of ram score higher than 5.9

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

-Doesn't really matter which way you hook it up, one from each cable or both from one cable. The cables are probably on seperate rails, but on the SuperFlower Amazon the split rails are virtual rails anyway I'm pretty sure, so it won't make a difference.

-Do you have 32-bit windows? That would cause your 4GB or RAM to be brought down to 3GB, leaving a lower score. Other possibilities would be that its clocked wrong or the timings are out which are simple to fix using the BIOS. Download CPU-Z to check the speed and the timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Cheers deconduo takes the worry away last thing I wanted was to fry the new gpu :) Well if both from one cable ok then i shall leave it as is so :)

I have win 7 pro 64bit so that shouldn't be a problem, the timings are 9-9-9-24
    but cpu z says the frequency is 802.8 MHz are these not supposed to be 1600MHz as I see on hardwareversand and the Gskill web site.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Cheers deconduo takes the worry away last thing I wanted was to fry the new gpu :) Well if both from one cable ok then i shall leave it as is so :)

I have win 7 pro 64bit so that shouldn't be a problem, the timings are 9-9-9-24
    but cpu z says the frequency is 802.8 MHz are these not supposed to be 1600MHz as I see on hardwareversand and the Gskill web site.

Its DDR3 RAM, the DDR part stands for double data rate. So 800x2 = 1600 for the total speed. Everything seems to be fine, but that RAM should be scoring 7+ on the WEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

have you set the ram timings in your bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

Ensure the RAM is correctly inserted, Also be careful and use anti-static strap as static can damage components

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Problem solved reseated the ram and now it scores 7.8 my overall score is 7.5 which is down to my processor and ssd so I think i can live with that :)
    Thanks for the help guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭thysol

deconduo wrote: »
    Its DDR3 RAM, the DDR part stands for double data rate. So 800x2 = 1600 for the total speed. Everything seems to be fine, but that RAM should be scoring 7+ on the WEI.

No, the actual memory clock in DDR-1600 is 200MHz. Because DDR2 doubled data rate from DDR1 and DDR3 doubled data rate from DDR2. And obviously there is another doubling from DDR to previous RAM standards. So 200x2x2x2 = 1600.

thysol wrote: »
    No, the actual memory clock in DDR-1600 is 200MHz. Because DDR2 doubled data rate from DDR1 and DDR3 doubled data rate from DDR2. And obviously there is another doubling from DDR to previous RAM standards. So 200x2x2x2 = 1600.

No. Right information but wrong explanation. The base clock in DDR3 RAM has a x4 multiplier on it, while DDR2 has a x2 multiplier and DDR has none. Then the data rate from this is doubled. However CPU-Z reads the already multiplied base clock (800MHz in this case) This is then doubled to give the actual speed of 1600MHz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭thysol

deconduo wrote: »
    No. Right information but wrong explanation. The base clock in DDR3 RAM has a x4 multiplier on it, while DDR2 has a x2 multiplier and DDR has none. Then the data rate from this is doubled. However CPU-Z reads the already multiplied base clock (800MHz in this case) This is then doubled to give the actual speed of 1600MHz.

Ok, we both got it right now.

Advertisement