Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Advice

Options
  • 28-10-2011 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I’m just looking for some advice and opinions. I’ve been unemployed for almost a year and a half now, I’ve always worked as a secretary and I’ve no desire to be hired again in that capacity (even though right now the chance would be jumped on) I’m seriously looking at going back to college next September but having difficulty deciding what to do. I’ve always wanted to study physiotherapy for years, but since 25 I thought I was too old, now I’m 31 I wish I’d gone for it then.

I’d really like to go for it this year. But the only thing holding me back is the age, I’m all for people studying at any age, but physio is different I think as it so physical. So I could be anywhere from 36 to 38 just newly qualified – am I naïve to think it could be possible?? I am qualified in massage, anatomy and physiology, sports massage (diplomas) but I’d also need to spend this year doing lots of prep work before applying such as work experience in a physio’s and also, never did my leaving cert so will repeat 2 or 3 subjects incl biology, maybe physics, and do a few other things… but don’t want to go to these lengths if at the end of the day my age makes it impractical. If it’s a no goer I’ll look at something else.

Would just love opinions…….. Thanks for reading

Not sure if this is posted in the right place – let me know if I should move it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi, i'm currently studying design as a mature student in my mid thirties. I have never read a post here that made me feel so old, I feel like i'm 80 or something reading it and should be headed for a wheelchair.

I don't have any experience in physio but I really found your mindset interesting. I think you have answered your own question "Id really like to go for it this year." and you have already studied a number of courses.

The problem is your mindset, you are still thinking like when you were 25, that you were too old. If you don't do this now, well ...you will be 45 looking back saying the exact same thing.

Someone else can answer the physicality of being a physio but come on, do those who studied in their 20's have to pack it up when they reach their mid-thirties.

Look at the most famous sports physio in Ireland, MIck Byrne who was well into his 60's still working the Irish football team. That says it all.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Oh God I will book into a nursing home now!

I am in my mid forties and am definitely going to start a degree course in September 2012 so that will make me about 50 when I graduate.

There are no limits....only in your own mind.

As NIKE say so well...."Just do it"!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

IsaMtq wrote: »
    I’m just looking for some advice and opinions. I’ve been unemployed for almost a year and a half now, I’ve always worked as a secretary and I’ve no desire to be hired again in that capacity (even though right now the chance would be jumped on) I’m seriously looking at going back to college next September but having difficulty deciding what to do. I’ve always wanted to study physiotherapy for years, but since 25 I thought I was too old, now I’m 31 I wish I’d gone for it then.

I’d really like to go for it this year. But the only thing holding me back is the age, I’m all for people studying at any age, but physio is different I think as it so physical. So I could be anywhere from 36 to 38 just newly qualified – am I naïve to think it could be possible?? I am qualified in massage, anatomy and physiology, sports massage (diplomas) but I’d also need to spend this year doing lots of prep work before applying such as work experience in a physio’s and also, never did my leaving cert so will repeat 2 or 3 subjects incl biology, maybe physics, and do a few other things… but don’t want to go to these lengths if at the end of the day my age makes it impractical. If it’s a no goer I’ll look at something else.

Would just love opinions…….. Thanks for reading

Not sure if this is posted in the right place – let me know if I should move it. Thanks

I'm currently studying physio. I'm 28. Another student in my year is in his 40's and the mature students of other years have mostly been in their 30's or 40's. Don't be thinking about the age. Go for it. :)

Make sure to get some shadow work with physios and read up on all the different areas of Physiotherapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

Thanks to all who replied!

Firstly – Wow! I was not aware I made other people feel so old through my own self-doubts! My sincerest apologies, and in actual fact think your amazing for doing it. As I said in my post I think any kind of further education for mature students is fantastic – I was just curious about the particular field I am interested in. I assume everything on no facts whatsoever! And had got it into my head that I was just past it for this particular career! So point taken, thanks, just need some rational feedback sometimes. I will definitely research it further and hopefully take the leap and go for it.

As you said there I’ll be 45 in the not so distant future and thinking well why didn’t I at least try! Even if it went to plan and I qualified by 36 and retired at 65 – that’s 29 years of working in something I actually love.
    Huge thanks for the positive feedback and giving my imaginary doubts a good laugh at!! Appreciated! :)

Advertisement