Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on new build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You're going to end up paying a lot in shipping from Amazon. Have a look at hardwareversand.de. They have a flat €30 shipping rate, and are probably a decent bit cheaper than Amazon too.

- You might want an SSD in there somewhere. A 2TB green drive is going to be slow to boot from.
    - Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't add a lot of features over Home Premium, might be worth a look.

Looks like a nice build though. What's it being used for?

Edit:

Total from Amazon: €1,380.
    Total from HWVS: €1,340.

Wow, that's actually not nearly as bad as I had thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Haven't Amazon got free shipping for anything over 25 quid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SweetZombie Jesus

Serephucus wrote: »
    You're going to end up paying a lot in shipping from Amazon. Have a look at hardwareversand.de. They have a flat €30 shipping rate, and are probably a decent bit cheaper than Amazon too.

- You might want an SSD in there somewhere. A 2TB green drive is going to be slow to boot from.
    - Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't add a lot of features over Home Premium, might be worth a look.

Looks like a nice build though. What's it being used for?

Edit:

Total from Amazon: €1,380.
    Total from HWVS: €1,340.

Wow, that's actually not nearly as bad as I had thought.

Any SSD you would recommend or will any of them do?
    Home Premium is alot cheaper so I will get then instead.

This build is mainly for gaming but might be doing some programming in the future so will be used for that aswell

In that case, switch to the 2500K. The 2600 doesn't add anything to games.

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB, most-probably.

If you're getting HP, be sure and get the OEM version. The Retail copy is just charging you double the price for a nicer box.

In that case, switch to the 2500K. The 2600 doesn't add anything to games.

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB, most-probably.

If you're getting HP, be sure and get the OEM version. The Retail copy is just charging you double the price for a nicer box.

I'll get the 2500k then.Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The Retail copy is just charging you double the price for a nicer box.

Not quite, the OEM version is tied to your motherboard. If you ever want to upgrade you need to buy a new copy.

The retail version you can re-use on as many computers as you want as long as you deactivate it first on the old computer.

deconduo wrote: »
    Not quite, the OEM version is tied to your motherboard. If you ever want to upgrade you need to buy a new copy.

The retail version you can re-use on as many computers as you want as long as you deactivate it first on the old computer.

I've been using the same copy of Windows 7 on three different motherboards, and two different hard drives. I haven't had a problem yet...

As far as I know, if that does happen, you can call Microsoft, and they'll reactivate it for you. Sometimes it can happen that with a reinstall on the same hardware it won't activate (for whatever reason), so Microsoft allows this. When they ask you if you've changed the motherboard, you tell a whitie, as it were.

Can't find the motherboard in stock on amazon, anyone know of the different motherboard or a website that has it in stock?

Advertisement