Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

queue jumpers

Options
  • 28-10-2011 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

queue jumpers
    at the hospital roundabout past
    Gormley's Centra towards Oatfields has anyone noticed a certain group of drivers are taking the lane with the fewest vehicles and then cutting across . don't mind the odd stranger doing this but these guys are taking the p***.

this is probably the only time they indicate btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

ootbitb wrote: »
    queue jumpers
    Gormley's Centra towards Oatfields has anyone noticed a certain group of drivers are taking the lane with the fewest vehicles and then cutting across . don't mind the odd stranger doing this but these guys are taking the p***.

Have you noticed that the markings have changed on said junction left lane left turn only right lane straight through and right turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

mk2 wrote: »
    Have you noticed that the markings have changed on said junction left lane left turn only right lane straight through and right turn?

So this may just a matter of good drivers rather than queue jumpers. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

queue jumpers

gets on my tits, no one in this town seem to use it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I used to live up Glencar and always done this, i never interfered with traffic on the roundabout or traffic coming from the mountain top and i always indicated when changing lanes. There is absolutely nothing illegal about it, in fact it cuts down on the queues entering the roundabout. You may be happy to sit in traffic, i was being proactive in reducing queues...nothing wrong with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

yeah markings have changed now, left lane for mountain top, right for de valera and high road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

CJC999 wrote: »
    I used to live up Glencar and always done this, i never interfered with traffic on the roundabout or traffic coming from the mountain top and i always indicated when changing lanes. There is absolutely nothing illegal about it, in fact it cuts down on the queues entering the roundabout. You may be happy to sit in traffic, i was being proactive in reducing queues...nothing wrong with that!

Its only legal if 2 lanes go into 2 lanes eg coming from newtowncunningham into the manor roundabout and heading on in the dual carraigeway to LK.

But if the road markings say otherwise, fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

yourpics wrote: »
    Its only legal if 2 lanes go into 2 lanes eg coming from newtowncunningham into the manor roundabout and heading on in the dual carraigeway to LK.

But if the road markings say otherwise, fair enough

I would totally agree with this, i know that i and many other road users go into the outside lane at the port-bridge roundabout coming from the town and that the 2 lanes feed into each other the other side.
    Nothing wrong with that as I can see as it helps the flow of traffic and all that
    but what would be annoying would be if there is only one lane for an exit that you are supposed to use and you wait and que in that lane, then someone jumps that que and then pulls into the lane at the last minute or cuts in at the roundabout.
    Although having said that i would have to accept that sometimes someone not from the area could make a genuine mistake and just not get in the right lane in time, i suppose someone could easily do that on the roundabout heading towards arena 7 just after the mount errigal

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Yeah, they changed the Road Markings a few days ago and the markings are what should be obeyed.
    Its incredible that they have decided to change these after so many years and notified no one. Not sure what the reason was, but it looks a little like the Pearse Road markings saga a few months ago.
    It might end up working better but there should have been notification and someone in the left lane could find themselves in bother in an accident. It clearly marks left turn only now, not to be confused with situations where there is a left and straight on marking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

hands up from me then.:eek:

they must have realised old ways are best as this is how that roundabout was used when it opened.

hadn't seen the new markings as there are always queues in front hiding the road.

a sign after the hospital entrance would be helpful to avoid confusion as there is before the Pramerica roundabout coming from the Mountain Top.

this IS queue jumping as you had used the wrong lane.

standard practice is left lane for first two exits. right lane for third exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Yeah that driving school link lists the road markings as the law, in this case Devalera Road is only the second exit and the original markings were correct, the new ones not but are legally standing.

It may end the queue jumping that should have been prosecuted for before, but this change will only add more chaos for now, especially as its been so long the proper way.

What beats me is that they had to burn off the original markings, it wasn't like they had been tarred over, but I have never been suprised at the amount of stupid actions taken by local authorities in Donegal. Someone must have told the road marking company to change them but for what reason and why they didn't see fit to inform users else beats me.

I reckon at some point when everyone realises, it will end up like the approach to Station Roundabout from oatfields and have to be redone again, obviously at the Road tax payers expense as usual, with no one being held accountable

It makes this roundabout very accident prone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

this IS queue jumping as you had used the wrong lane.

standard practice is left lane for first two exits. right lane for third exit.

Then its not queue jumping as i was coming from glencar area and going down DeValera (towards oatfields) which is the second exit. Like i said i never interfered with other traffic, its possible to get out of the inner lane onto the inner lane of the roundabout when there is a car approaching from the high road, whereas cars sitting in the outer lane have to wait for the car approaching from the highroad to continue on up the mountain top. I was helping reduce queues and hurting no one except those who or whatever reason were happy to sit in the outer lane and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

What really annoys me about the changing of roadmarkings in the town is that they just change the markings on the road but fail to put up a proper sign to indicate the new layout. I know at the hospitable round-about there is a sign saying new layout ahead but no indication what the new layout is. There is NO point in having the new layout just marked on the road as you cannot see the new markings due to the fact that there is car in the queues covering up the new markings, seem totally insane not to put new signs at the side of the road indicating what lane is for what exit. Especially when the junction is diverting from the standard lane-exit rule in the rules of the road.

Then its not queue jumping as i was coming from glencar area and going down DeValera (towards oatfields) which is the second exit. Like i said i never interfered with other traffic, its possible to get out of the inner lane onto the inner lane of the roundabout when there is a car approaching from the high road, whereas cars sitting in the outer lane have to wait for the car approaching from the highroad to continue on up the mountain top. I was helping reduce queues and hurting no one except those who or whatever reason were happy to sit in the outer lane and wait.

I can't figure out where you were:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I can't figure out where you were:confused:

Hospital roundabout, from the hospital car park entrance / exit side.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Good guide to Letterkenny roundabouts :) ...

dancing on a roundabout with a two year old...

reminds me of that nutter MJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S125_JamtA0

Advertisement