Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Cat5 and Cat6

Options
  • 28-10-2011 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I the middle of house works and looking to get cabling right. Had intended putting in Cat5 cabling but how is Cat6 different. Is Cat6 better and will it do the same job as Cat5 and do they have the same plug configeration.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cat6 allows for higher speeds so is more future-proofed. Anything that works with a cat5 cable will work with cat6 and there shouldn't be much difference in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

One is 100 mbit and the other is gigabit

Or so I was told

and you have to take more care installing cat6
    Maybe theres more to it than that

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

As said cat6 is better future proof that cat5. To get the benefit of cat6 you need to use cat6 modules and accessories which are more expensive, but for future proofing its worth the extra expenses IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

In my experience cat 6 is slightly thicker than cat 5 ,as it has a plastic center in the cable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cat 6 has more twists in the pairs,when compared to cat5 or cat5e.

The plastic divider in the cat6 is there to prevent the pairs comming in contact with each other and this prevents near end cross talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno much but
    the way things are going i think i 'd prefer the cat6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I think cat6 at a minimum these days if possible. Assuming you want to future proof.
    I saw cat7 going into a house recently. Though it was a top spec job, and the cable cost enormous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

They both use RJ-45 connectors,but the Cat 5 gives you data at a rate of 100mb per second (Fast Ethernet) compared with the Cat 6 which gives you data at a rate (1000 mbps).It's also to be noted it's dependant on the hardware you have if you have switch\router with ports rated at 100mbps if you use Cat 6 it will still only give you data at 100 mbps.Hope this is of help to you.

cast_iron wrote: »
    I think cat6 at a minimum these days if possible. Assuming you want to future proof.
    I saw cat7 going into a house recently. Though it was a top spec job, and the cable cost enormous.

Try working with Cat10 and installing several thousand of the ba5tards aswell,then you will know all about it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mendusa wrote: »
    It's also to be noted it's dependant on the hardware you have if you have switch\router with ports rated at 100mbps if you use Cat 6 it will still only give you data at 100 mbps.

Thats true, which is why putting the cat 6 in is a good idea even if using hardware that only needs cat5.

Uprading the routers etc is no problem when the time comes, unlike upgrading the cables already installed. So put the cat 6 in if building now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 darkstream

Britie, You might want to consider cat 5e cable. In the middle of a new build myself and that's what my spark has recommended. He says it runs at near gigabit speeds and is more than sufficient for household needs and for whatever else comes down the line. It's suppose to be cheaper than cat 6 but by how much I don't know. I was happy to go along with what he recommended but others here might have more info to sway you towards Cat 6.

Cat5e is fine for a domestic house/build.

I have it all over my house and its fine for what is used for.Phone,broadband and sat/hdmi links,

It can also be used to bring signal from one machine to another through hdmi ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

paddy147 wrote: »
    Try working with Cat10 and installing several thousand of the ba5tards aswell,then you will know all about it.:D
    What sort or domestic setup would require thousands of them? Or indeed any of them?

cast_iron wrote: »
    What sort or domestic setup would require thousands of them? Or indeed any of them?

Large American based companies,based here in Ireland that require network infastructure and comms room upgrades.Also for several large new builds and expansions of these companies.

Lots of man hours involved installing the cables,building the comms rooms and then commisioning the infastructure too.

Also lots of money too.;):D

Anyway,Cat5E for a house is fine for a house.

About 35-40 euro a box of it too (305 meters).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

only even see cat7a, and thats 40gigabits, cat10 mst be hugeeee

only even see cat7a, and thats 40gigabits, cat10 mst be hugeeee

Only ever installed it twice before for 2 very large American companies who are based here in Dublin.Its s big cable allright (compared to Systimax Cat6) and comes in on large drums that require cable jacks to pull and install the Cat10 under the floor on the cable trays.

1 of the jobs and clients specified that no cable tray and special epdm rubber mat was to be rolled out along the cable runs and the cables were to be installed and run on these rubber mats.As this would mean no static charge or interference to the cables.Over 2 miles of rubber mat was used for this specific instalation.

There can be no sharp bends or any twists in it at all,and both clients specified this and had an observer flown over from the USA to inspect and oversee the instalation pon a state by stage process.
    large velcro straps are used,instead of cable ties to secure the cable looms together.

Thats how serious a job it was and is.Big big bucks being shelled out for this network infastructure project.

Right so,Im off to carve up some pumpkins now.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Always install the best you can.

Much cheaper in the long run, you wont have to rip walls and floors apart to install new wires.

People say Cat5e is fine for home use, which it is, right now. But the price difference is so small that for the average house it would be silly not to install cat6.

A prime example is running HDMI over cat5e and cat6. You can have longer runs over cat6.

Also whatever you do, drop more than one cable to each location. I always drop at least 4. You never know what you will need them for.

Also whatever you do, drop more than one cable to each location. I always drop at least 4. You never know what you will need them for.

+1 to that.

Its better to be looking at it,then have to be looking for it.:)

OI did this with both the Co-Ax in my house and the Cat5E aswell.

My girlfriend thinks Im bonkers and slightly obsessed with cables,but its just being safe and for the future too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 britie

Thanks for all the feedback....I think I will go with the cat6...reasonably priced on Amazon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mccarre4

I wouldn't have even thought to buy the likes of cable on Amazon... new found ways of doing things hey :)
    Although having looked at it I think you could get cheaper in a wholesaler if you bargained, I certainly did recently in my local provider.

britie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback....I think I will go with the cat6...reasonably priced on Amazon!

Any electrical wholesalers or Structured Networking Company will gladly sell you a box (305 meters) of Link,Belden or Systimax Cat5E or Cat6 cable.

These are propper industry recognised and certified cable brands,and not like the unbranded cheap chinese shyte.:eek::rolleyes:

Buy the good propper stuff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

You've stumped me! :)

What is the spec for Cat 10? (Never heard of it.)

Sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Any electrical wholesalers or Structured Networking Company will gladly sell you a box (305 meters) of Link,Belden or Systimax Cat5E or Cat6 cable.

In fairness, Amazon use reputable brands. It's not just the cost of the cable, the faceplates, patch panel, housing..., have all to be taken into account. Depending on the installation, tools and connectors for making up dedicated leads may also be required. It's well worth while drawing up a materials list and comparing the total cost from the Wholesaler, with the likes of Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Del007

I've 2 spare boxes of Cat 6 :)

Advertisement