Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHCP - 26th June 2012 Croke Park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Absolutely terrible.

I say that as someone who pretty much regards Flea as a god and - the once again departed- Frusciante as probably the most influential guitarist for me as a young fella. The last decent gig I saw them play was Slane and I only put that down performance down to the DVD that they were recording.

Are you for real? "Absolutely terrible" - that's an unfair statement in my honest opinion! They have great onstage chemistry and presence even despite John's absence.

Don't mind him, they're great live, despite the fact that their new record is disappointing I can attest to the fact that they are still great live! The O2 Gig last November was great, even despite the unfortunate absence of JF. This should be an amazing summer's day gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Absolutely terrible.

I say that as someone who pretty much regards Flea as a god and - the once again departed- Frusciante as probably the most influential guitarist for me as a young fella. The last decent gig I saw them play was Slane and I only put that down performance down to the DVD that they were recording.

Really this Band Terrible.Are You On Another Planet:eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

what time do you say will be alright to queue up at to get in the pit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Deeluu wrote: »
    Are you for real? "Absolutely terrible" - that's an unfair statement in my honest opinion! They have great onstage chemistry and presence even despite John's absence.

Don't mind him, they're great live, despite the fact that their new record is disappointing I can attest to the fact that they are still great live! The O2 Gig last November was great, even despite the unfortunate absence of JF. This should be an amazing summer's day gig!

In the 15 years that I've been seeing the Chilis the only time I've seen them put any real effort into interacting with the crowd is when there's a camera present. The larger the venue, the worse they are, although the worst performance I saw them was the last time they were in the Phoenix Park. They've never been great for audience interaction, they're not "a funny thing happened on the way to the gig type act". In this country you'll get Flea whooping it up, a couple of words of Amhrán na bhFiann and in the past whatever was interesting the guitarist at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

In the 15 years that I've been seeing the Chilis the only time I've seen them put any real effort into interacting with the crowd is when there's a camera present. The larger the venue, the worse they are, although the worst performance I saw them was the last time they were in the Phoenix Park. They've never been great for audience interaction, they're not "a funny thing happened on the way to the gig type act". In this country you'll get Flea whooping it up, a couple of words of Amhrán na bhFiann and in the past whatever was interesting the guitarist at the time.

Whatever you think about band interaction with the audience, that doesn't negate their performance. They're an amazing live band, and although I'll give it to you that it's only Flea who ever interacts with the audience, they've always been like that. Stating a "funny thing happened on the way to the gig" is not the kind of band that they are. Never have been. So why you're bothering using that as a reason for their "terribleness" is a little strange. Maybe if you took them for the kind of band they are (since you're such a big Flea and JF fan) you'd enjoy their concerts more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I would be a big fan of crowd interaction, but when it comes to the Chilis I don't care, I have seen them twice and enjoyed both times, missed the O2 gig but heard great things, also for all those people saying they play better when being recorded, all the new gigs are being recorded to be sold, so roll on June 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I still see that this is really struggling to sell well. I saw a few posts back that the lower tiers were sold out. I'm afraid that is not the case. I just went onto Ticketmaster to see what I could get as I will be buying tickets on Friday for friends of mine who have decided to go.

I could get tickets in the Cusack Stand, Lower tier, block 310, row JJ, seats,22 and 23.

I am very surprised, I thought that with the announcement of Noel Gallagher would rapidly improve sales but it doesn't seem to have worked out as well as MCD would have hoped.

I don't know how many more tickets MCD will be able to sell. The attention seems to have shifted to the Phoenix Park gigs in July along with the EP announcement. Belsonic in Belfast which went on sale today which has some quality acts will also effect future potential sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Reckon you could wander down onto the pitch with a ticket for one of the lower tiers?
    You were able to do it for Bon Jovi at the RDS in June, but I reckon that was only because it wasn't a sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Reckon you could wander down onto the pitch with a ticket for one of the lower tiers?
    You were able to do it for Bon Jovi at the RDS in June, but I reckon that was only because it wasn't a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Devilsguard

Does anyone know if you have a pitch ticket can you purchase drink at the gig and take it onto the pitch with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

Does anyone know if you have a pitch ticket can you purchase drink at the gig and take it onto the pitch with you?

I would imagine you can alright, there'd be bedlam otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

baz2009 wrote: »

I was at a Chili's concert at Lansdowne Road 10 years ago, five of us went up, myself and one friend had seated tickets on the top tier while the other 3 had pitch tickets. Midway through the first act myself and my friend in the stand went to meet the other 3 at the barriers where they gave us their coats to mind for them, (with two pitch tickets conveniently stashed inside a pocket in one coat) so we managed to get on to the pitch very easily!

I don't think you could just casually wander down, perimeter will probably be lined with barriers and stewards, but if you know people who have pitch tickets it shouldn't be that difficult to do the switcheroo.

I wouldn't recommend it however, in retrospect we were dopes to con our way onto the pitch, the pitch can only take so many on safety grounds, and sure enough at that concert there was a small crush midway during the Chili Peppers concert. I felt like a ba$tard as one or two hundred people (mainly young women in tears) all made their way to the back of the pitch towards the exits and first aid from what we could see. Chances are it was just the usual crush forward that happens at the front of all these big outdoor concerts and it may not have been due to there being too many on the pitch, but still, it was a dumb idea and I wouldn't do it again or recommend it. If enough people did it god only knows what could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Standing tickets back on sale if anyone's bothered.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Standing tickets back on sale if anyone's bothered.

Crazy stuff altogether!! I knew this would be a difficult sell but I would have expected nothing but top tier seated tickets to be remaining at this stage!!

Perhaps the 45,000 capacity Phoenix Park would have been a better bet by MCD or even Marley Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeonTiger

What time would you want to line up for the best place in the pitch???

So excite for it now!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:pac:

I assume MCD are still trying to promote this gig as much as they can.

For some reason I see advertisements on most websites I enter, its also printed on the whole back side of the 66 bus.

EDIT : finally standing tickets are sold out, and best tickets available are..... Hogan Stand, Lower Tier

I assume MCD are still trying to promote this gig as much as they can.

For some reason I see advertisements on most websites I enter, its also printed on the whole back side of the 66 bus.

EDIT : finally standing tickets are sold out, and best tickets available are..... Hogan Stand, Lower Tier

What are peoples thoughts on how the Chilli's are going to react to a half full stadium? It's looking more and more likely that the upper tiers will be completely empty and looking at the tickets currently available, I wouldn't bet against sections of the lower tiers being empty also.

I'm concerned about what the atmosphere will be like and how they will respond? I know people are going to say that the crowd will generate a great vibe but there is only so much a crowd of 20,000-40,000 can do in a stadium that holds 82,500.!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What are peoples thoughts on how the Chilli's are going to react to a half full stadium? It's looking more and more likely that the upper tiers will be completely empty and looking at the tickets currently available, I wouldn't bet against sections of the lower tiers being empty also.

I'm concerned about what the atmosphere will be like and how they will respond? I know people are going to say that the crowd will generate a great vibe but there is only so much a crowd of 20,000-40,000 can do in a stadium that holds 82,500.!!!!

would the aviva not of been a better venue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »

Thats what i was thinking recently , Chances are it would have sold out very quick without having to ad Noel and The Vaccines

Thats what i was thinking recently , Chances are it would have sold out very quick without having to ad Noel and The Vaccines

MCD were still stuck in the Celtic Tiger mode when they planned this gig. Did they honestly expect to sell 80,000 + tickets for this gig considering that tickets went on sale the morning that 15,000 people were preparing the see them in the O2 after paying out €70.00????

Madness!! Aviva, Phoenix Park or Marley Park were the best options in my opinion!!!! It looks like MCD will have to suffer a fairly big financial hit with this one. A major headliner with a big support billing in a half empty stadium will not break-even!!

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm not sure the Aviva would have sold out either seen as how the capacity is 65,000. So considering if the lower tiers fail to sell out, the Croke Park gig will probably be attended by 30,000 or maybe slightly higher. Either way the Chilis would still be playing to a half-empty stadium.

This gig actually would have been perfect for a Chilis-Foos joint gig, seen as how Foo Fighters seemingly are set to skip Ireland on this tour, Slane is not taking place and the fact Dave Grohl said they were planning a really big show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm not sure the Aviva would have sold out either seen as how the capacity is 65,000. So considering if the lower tiers fail to sell out, the Croke Park gig will probably be attended by 30,000 or maybe slightly higher. Either way the Chilis would still be playing to a half-empty stadium.

This gig actually would have been perfect for a Chilis-Foos joint gig, seen as how Foo Fighters seemingly are set to skip Ireland on this tour, Slane is not taking place and the fact Dave Grohl said they were planning a really big show.

The are playing Belfast

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ah id say they will get at leas half capacity in Croke Park , Seems you can still get tickets in lower Hogan stand.

I would have hated for a joint gig with Foo/Chilis since chances are you wouldnt have got a 2 hour show from Foo's.

Yea Foo Fighters are playing Belfast which counts as there promise from Oxegen last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Reason im not going is because the RHCP new stuff is beyond crap. Ive seen them lots of times b4 anyway,slane oxegen etc
    Norl Gallagher will be far better on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Looks like MCD are getting even more stressed about the sales. They've got the band in for a quick plug...

Quick check shows Hogan lower are still available.

Still 5 weeks to go so time for a late flurry of sales but there'll be plenty of seats without bums by the looks of it.

Either way, can't wait to see them again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just got my ticket there. Had to get it via Adverts.ie. Bit of a long wait trying to find a ticket on it but I'm delighted I finally got it. Now all we need is fine weather and it'll be perfect there.

Mr Teeny wrote: »
    Looks like MCD are getting even more stressed about the sales. They've got the band in for a quick plug...

Quick check shows Hogan lower are still available.

Still 5 weeks to go so time for a late flurry of sales but there'll be plenty of seats without bums by the looks of it.

Either way, can't wait to see them again :)

They should have made a return trip to Slane for this gig, least then the die hards wouldn't have been forced to get a seated ticket.

I'm very happy I bought a ticket for this gig now and I can't wait to see them again myself:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I was at that too unfortunately,without a doubt the worst gig ive been to by a big act,Kiedas has zero charisma,awful frontman,while i was happy it was over quickly a 75 minute set(including a five minute encore break followed by a five or ten minute drum solo....a drum solo for Christ sake!)for 60 quid in a big field was taking the piss,i was honestly stunned at how lackluster they were,im baffled how people keep going back to these guys

In fairness Flea and to a lesser extent the drummer did give the impression they were happy to be there,Kiedas looked like a guy waiting for a bus after a long day at the office

Edit:Oh and that desperate plea for people to buy tickets is painful to watch,greedy f***ers should have gone for a much smaller venue instead of constantly chasing the easy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was at that too unfortunately,without a doubt the worst gig ive been to by a big act,Kiedas has zero charisma,awful frontman,while i was happy it was over quickly a 75 minute set(including a five minute encore break followed by a five or ten minute drum solo....a drum solo for Christ sake!)for 60 quid in a big field was taking the piss,i was honestly stunned at how lackluster they were,im baffled how people keep going back to these guys

They've been doing the drum solos for years now. God help you if Flea came out on stage with his trumpet. I'd say you'd die of boredom.

I enjoy the solos. It's not often you get to see one of the best drummers in the world just thrash the drums with as much flair as possible for 5 minutes.

Also the drum solo usually leads into the encore. Can't see why you'd be annoyed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Actually Flea did bring his Trumpet out that night(steady!)

Ah cmon man,a five minute boring as f*** drum solo during a 75 minute set for a band who were at that stage around 20 years?? how could you not be annoyed by that?? they had loads of other material they could have played but instead most of the band took a 10-15 minute(included in the 75 minutes they were on for in total!)breather while a large amount of the audience were bored to tears,i heard plenty of people around me express this boredom believe me!

Anyway it was just lame,but whatever about the that most of the people on stage(especially the "frontman")had absolutely no interest in being there,i thought they were indifferent to the point of being down right disrespectful of the audience,ive been going to gigs for 15 years now and it was honestly the worst performance ive seen,i go to big gigs,small gigs and everything in between,these guys were just plain crap

Advertisement