Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallies Tallies Tallies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Wow! I couldn't give 2 f***s what the Washington Post has to say???

I'm happy to have a president with bucket loads of experience rather than a dodgy businessman off the telly! Happy to see McGuinness doing well but also quite relieved that he won't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

darkman2 wrote: »
    Well, there is his anti Americanism aswell. But make no mistake, shallow or not, it's a bad image internationally. I don't care what anyone says. That's reality. When you have him being compared to a leprechaun and an elf in foreign media outlets and he is not even elected yet. Don't pick up a British newspaper tomorrow. I certainly won't.

Laughing stock. The stereotypical old delicate Irish President. Well done those who turned it back into a retirement home.

oh god, spare us all the drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Well, there is his anti Americanism aswell. But make no mistake, shallow or not, it's a bad image internationally. I don't care what anyone says. That's reality. When you have him being compared to a leprechaun and an elf in foreign media outlets and he is not even elected yet. Don't pick up a British newspaper tomorrow. I certainly won't.

Laughing stock. The stereotypical old delicate Irish President. Well done those who turned it back into a retirement home.

Who cares what other countries think? Why don't we set a higher moral standard for ourselves? I would be far prouder of us doing that then bowing down to the lets have everything young and pretty way of thinking.

We should value the older people in our country - they have a lot more life experience to draw down on.

And if you think MDH is delicate you clearly have not heard that man in the heat of debate. I think he'll do us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Sure some of the American media were describing McG as an 'IRA Warlord' - mental images of a braveheart type man in a kilt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Don't pick up a British newspaper tomorrow.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

Only time will tell how Higgins will be received. But i think you may be getting a little hysterical.
    Try having a little more pride in your country and accept the democratic process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Norris polling 1% in Laois Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Any news on the referendums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Beginning to form a picture with Higgins as the next President of Ireland, Gallagher in 2nd place, and possibly McGuinness in 3rd?

I don't think they count these until after the presidential vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

On hearing that Sean Gallagher is being outpolled in his home constituency:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm just wondering - do you know what the German or Israeli or Italian or Finnish presidents look like?
    My guess is no-one outside Ireland cares one billionth of a jot about who, what, why and how the Irish president looks or what age he/she is.

It is hugely stupid to think otherwise.
    It simply means nothing to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

When you have him being compared to a leprechaun and an elf in foreign media outlets and he is not even elected yet.

Surely you're old enough to realise that opinions expressed in newspapers are intended to influence people and not to reflect what they are all thinking.

Most of us here realise that a person who is insulting another person's physical appearance is intellectually weak and lazy. And that there is often a political motivation. Feel free to steer clear of that type of thing, to become a more mature poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Very early indications are that Abbeylara will probably be rejected, judges' pay will probably pass.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Delighted with this. Perhaps there is hope for us yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

edanto wrote: »
    Most of us here realise that a person who is insulting another person's physical appearance is intellectually weak and lazy. And that there is often a political motivation. Feel free to steer clear of that type of thing, to become a more mature poster.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but in my opinion Brian Cowen cut an appalling image of a slovenly, inept, and unmotivated individual due to his physical appearance.

I have no issue with Michael D's appearance; he looks wise, cerebral, kindly, and grandfatherly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Dublin North Central - 33 boxes counted:
    Higgins 43%
    Gallagher 22.5%
    McGuinness 14%
    Norris 10.5%
    Mitchell 5.4%
    Davis 3.8%
    Scallon 2.9%

Landslide if that was replicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Very early indications are that Abbeylara will probably be rejected, judges' pay will probably pass.

That is fantastic news (Abbeylara)
    It was a sneaky and underhand amendment and the debate was non-existant.
    If true, I am delighted.
    Go back to the drawing board and stop trying to hoodwink the electorate FG and LAbour. And every other party that supported a yes including SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

leggit wrote: »
    Wow! I couldn't give 2 f***s what the Washington Post has to say???

I'm happy to have a president with bucket loads of experience rather than a dodgy businessman off the telly! Happy to see McGuinness doing well but also quite relieved that he won't win.

I dont' thin MMG was in it to win it - he was in it to break ground and he did a great job. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ironé wrote: »
    Sure some of the American media were describing McG as an 'IRA Warlord' - mental images of a braveheart type man in a kilt. :D

I prefer "McGuinness - the Dragon Slayer" myself. Maybe we should suggest that to the American media. :D

Irelands next top model president.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

1129 David McCullagh: Very early indications suggest the referendum on Oireachtas inquiries may be defeated.

how did they figure that when theyve not started counting yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

When does the collection tin arrive to support impoverished candidates who blew their lifes savings on a huge ego trip?

how did they figure that when theyve not started counting yet?

From tallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

From tallies.

But the tallies are basically counting the votes, and the votes aren't opened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I don't. I think it is an embarrassing image for Ireland. A 70 year old deminuitive hobbit leprechaun looking President. The Washington post has already said he looks like an "elf".

It's the wrong image. He is too old. He may be minimally the better of an awful bunch. He is awful aswell.

This is no good day for Ireland.

So sorry your FF bagman didn't make it this time. MDH will be an excellent President who will know how to use the office as a beacon for official Ireland.

Who care what the Washington Post thinks? Some hack journalist who knows nothing about Irish politics and believes we still drive around in pony and carts.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    But the tallies are basically counting the votes, and the votes aren't opened yet.

Tallies are rough counts of the approximate voting patterns by observers, while poll staff are emptying the boxes and sorting the papers.

In this case, the presidential ballots have to be separated from the referendum ballots before the presidential count proper starts. It's during this process that the tallymen (and women!) can observe how some of the referendum ballots were cast and give an initial estimate of the result based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Tallies are rough counts of the approximate votes by observers, while poll staff are emptying the boxes and sorting the papers.

In this case, the presidential ballots have to be separated from the referendum ballots before the presidential count proper starts. It's during this process that the tallymen (and women!) can observe how some of the referendum ballots were cast and give an initial estimate of the result based on that.

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It's a bad image internationally
    You wanted to put an FF bagman into the Aras. These people destroyed our international reputation, yet you are worried that MDH is "too small" and "old".

There is no rolleyes big enough for FFers. They are like a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Furthermore in a General or Local election, all the parties will have their own tallymen doing the rounds, with the reported tallies being what's agreed on between the various parties. So for General and Local elections tallies are pretty unbiased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Live Wicklow tally at http://tinyurl.com/aras11

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gallagher is top of the tallies in only one Constituency I hear. Michael Lowrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Gallagher is top of the tallies in only one Constituency I hear. Michael Lowrys.
    Also in Cavan and Donegal SW.

Pleased that SF are not doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Also in Cavan and Donegal SW.

Pleased that SF are not doing well.

Not doing well?! I'd say they're doing a lot better than they expected to do when McGuinness announced his intention to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Not doing well?! I'd say they're doing a lot better than they expected to do when McGuinness announced his intention to run.

He's probably right. For example, a strong working class constituency like DSW - McGuinness could easily have gotten 20% first prefs, yet he is on 16.6%.

He's not the biggest loser of this election, but I am surprised with how low he is doing in some places, despite the media campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It still seems to be an either for us or against us vote.

His support has hardly fluctuated in the polls at all while Norris, Davis and even Dana dropped support and more worryingly, he got little or nothing from the the fleeing Gallagher vote.

I'd say it's a respectable vote but that it remained static while Gallagher and Norris tanked would be a worry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

You reckon. McGuiness is SF's 'huge name' and even after a high profile campaign and with a FG (largest party) candidate that imploded, he attracted no real increase in votes to what SF got in the general election. I heard Pearse Doherty on 'Newstalk' saying MMcG was a success and will be remembered for his part in Gallagher's downfall. He's still polling at roughly half Gallagher's numbers. By that reckoning Gay Mitchell was a huge success too as his attacks on McG was the reason of McG downfall.

I think Sinn Fein really hoped to make some sort of breakthrough in this election and start to get ex-FF people to support the, Instead it galvanised ex-FF's to support Gallagher as closest to their party. To me SF still look toxic to non-SF supporters and I'll be curious to see how transfers went (if the election goes through a few rounds) to see if SF were in any way transfer friendly.

skearon wrote: »
    Live Wicklow tally at http://tinyurl.com/aras11

Thanks for doing the work on that Google doc.

K-9 wrote: »
    It still seems to be an either for us or against us vote.

His support has hardly fluctuated in the polls at all while Norris, Davis and even Dana dropped support and more worryingly, he got little or nothing from the the fleeing Gallagher vote.

I'd say it's a respectable vote but that it remained static while Gallagher and Norris tanked would be a worry.

I'm sure there was an element of that but I don't think it's as apparent as in the general elections. I can only speak anecdotally, but I know a good few people that either voted for or gave a preference to McGuinness despite them not being SF supporters at all. I agree with Patser about the transfers, it'll be interesting to see how they went. Either way I think that SF will be more than happy with the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

In the last hour I've called Michael D. Higgins to congratulate him on his performance and his success in this election. He will have my full support as President and I sincerely thank him for a positive campaign. His slogan stated that he would be a President to be proud of and I believe he will be that President.

http://www.facebook.com/seangallaghe...sident?sk=wall

Democracy: fúck yeah!

• Advertisement

Wexford tally of Inquiries referendum has 55% no 45% yes. Interestingly Abbeylara appears to have said no.

A classic example of the gulf between the Establishment and the Irish people. All the parties supported it.

I would be very, very glad to see that amendment fail. I do support the principle that Oireachtas committees should be able to carry out investigations and make findings, but the proposed amendment was far to vague.
    The chairman of the Referendum Commission, Judge Bryan McMahon, was asked on radio this morning would an Oireachtas-appointed investigator have the power to search your house. He said that would depend on the legislation – and then he stressed that the legislation could be changed at any time.

The bottom line is this: would you give this power to your political opponent? – The power to investigate you, and to make findings against you, without right of appeal or review by the courts.

http://www.stephendonnelly.ie/featured/statement-vote-no-to-the-oireachtas-inquiries-amendment/

Very interested in any more referendum tally results!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1028/vote_tracker.html
    1850 During the analysis of disputed votes that has just finished, it emerged that 32 ballot papers were found in the Holy Rosary National School ballot boxes (ballot box: 188) in Wicklow town that were perforated with a stamp from the Dublin Central constituency.
    29 of these ballot papers listed Gallagher as the number one candidate, two for Higgins and the other one was for McGuinness.
    These votes are currently not being counted and have been set aside until a satisfactory explanation can be found.

Gallagher & Mitchell doing best on transfers so far. McGuinness doing better than Norris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gallagher & Mitchell doing best on transfers so far. McGuinness doing better than Norris.

McGuinness should be aiming for about the 12/13% share that he got in first preferences as his share of transfers. Anything below 10% would be poor.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So much for Gallagher being 'transfer-toxic'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like Mitchell is doing well on the transfers here, not too surprising. Poor Norris won't even get his expenses. 3rd count though I would expect Norris's transfers to put MDH over the top.

I don't know anyone who gave Norris no. 1 and didn't give MDH no. 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

count 1 count 2 (after 28 boxes)
    Michael D Higgins 39.60% 701,101 +19,471
    Seán Gallagher 28.50% 504,964 +15,743
    Martin McGuinnes 13.70% 243,030 +6,262
    Gay Mitchell 6.40% 113,321 +9,244
    David Norris 6.20% 109,469 +4,569

Latest from RTE has MDH approx 720,000 and Gallagher approx 520,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Why does Wicklow always have ballot troubles?

MadsL wrote: »
    Why does Wicklow always have ballot troubles?
    Sparse polling stations in the last GE anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement