Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Moderation in UL Forum

Options
  • 28-10-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but seemed the most appropriate.

However I felt it should be brought to attention that there seems to be a lack of active moderation in the UL Forum. There have been a number of threads recently where personal abuse, trolling and generally useless debate has been taking place. The two current Mods pop in from time to time, but appear to have lost interest/are too busy with their own lives etc to be able to effectively moderate the forum(and this is not bashing them, they were very good mods before!)

Perhaps another moderator who is a bit more active on the forum should be appointed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Did you report the offending posts in question Robo?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Did you report the offending posts in question Robo?

Yes, reported some of the ridiculous personal abuse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's one particular troll who's getting a lot of leeway, even after returning from a recent ban. Getting rid of him would improve the tone of the whole forum in one easy step.

From my limited experience of college forums here, there does tend to be fairly lenient approach to cards and bans. Stuff that would ordinarily get a red card in another forum might get a warning, ban-worthy stuff gets a red card, and only the really bad stuff gets a ban.

I think the mods in UL forum are plenty active, in fairness to them. It's just a more relaxed approach, reflecting the demographic of most of the forum's users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

I think that there is plenty of moderation by the mods in the UL forum. If a thread is getting out of hand they give a warning, if that doesn't set people straight then the thread gets locked. Simples

If it's one poster causing trouble the community is smart enough to ignore their posts. If for some reason that a successful troll is successful then the mods sort them out. Example being the ULFM Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Are people actually serious on this thread?

the mods are actively and openly supporting the SU by locking all threads that are critical of the sabbatical officers.

people are exaggerating the amount of trolling, it is in fact impossible to decree what is trolling and what isn't. some people confuse people disagreeing with them as trolls.

there is a very active, vocal, pro-su group on the ul forum and they are shouting down and provoking people that are trying to get to the bottom of su discrepancies (irregular accounting activities, radio station acting outside the interests of the student body).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Speak of the Devil...

Retract that please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

Speak of the Devil...

While I may not agree with Sid's post about the UL mods, I will stand up for him in saying that your post is both unhelpful and a little insulting.( Maybe trolling !?!! )

All I can say is that I am happy that you are not a mod for the UL forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

yuppy700 wrote: »
    While I may not agree with Sid's post about the UL mods, I will stand up for him in saying that your post is both unhelpful and a little insulting.( Maybe trolling !?!! )

Maybe feedback???

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Speak of the Devil...

Your good....

But in all honesty I have to agree a bit with Yuppy. Might not agree with a lot of things that have gone on in the UL Forum, but that is unhelpful and a bit insulting. I've modded voluntarily on other forums and all it seems like your trying to do there is get a reaction ;-)

So yeh, don't be a dick (I believe that is how it's phrased in the rules). I might not agree with what Sid is saying but if your a moderator exercise a bit of discipline anyway.

That being said, I don't have much of a problem with how the UL Forums are being moderated.

• Advertisement

You're a ****.

You're a ****.

Aw, no way! That's just one short of 5 stars! 4 stars is still pretty good though, I guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Aw, no way! That's just one short of 5 stars! 4 stars is still pretty good though, I guess. :)

That was a good comment you deleted earlier too, I wouldn't have given it a single star though ;-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You're a ****.

1 week ban for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Perhaps this issue can be revisted again (already?!)

Over the last 24 hours obvious troll is very obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Sid_justice has been breaking numerous forum charter rules and I would like a mod to enforce this please.

Basesless accusations so he is starting a rumor mill. People have asked for his proof for his accusations but he refuses to give any but is instead asking for proof that his baseless accusation isn't true.
    He is trolling and bitching and is in general being an idiot.

UL forum would get much better if he was banned for a week or even if it was permanent.

Sid is making everyone on the UL forum restless and angry.

He has personally attacked the communications officer and the SU president of UL. He has also bad mouthed and named a lecturer in another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056433275

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056438737

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056440490

Some thread examples of this. The forum and category mods for UL aren't online and I feel aren't doing an adequate job (I don't mean to bad mouth them or anything) but could other mods take an independant view for themselves?

The list below is the amount of forum charter rules he has broken. If this isn't implemented, is it only a guideline?
    reunion wrote: »

There is no free speech!
    -This is a privately owned website. Boards.ie is kindly hosting this forum for UL therefore you do not have the right to say whatever you want on here. You are expected to obey the rules just like anyone else. Not following the rules will get you banned. It is very simple. You are allowed to discuss anything as long as it doesn't break the following rules.

Flaming
    - Bad mouthing or naming of Lecturers/Students is not allowed on this forum as boards.ie does not want to be a creator of a rumour mill.

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post. Posting PM's publicly without consent could be met with harsh consequences, especially if they do not have any place in the discussion.

Pointless Threads and Polls
    - Posting any pointless thread or poll will result in the thread being locked. You can be banned for this. Think before you post. If you don't have anything to say then don't bother posting a new thread. Please try to comment as much as you can on any threads you create. If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.

Making the natives restless
    - This is a catch-all rule for general trolling, bitching and similar. Certain posters have an ability to piss off large quanties of regulars on here. If a moderator feels that said poster is doing this intentionally or is the cause of the mess, then the poster can and will be banned. If this poster was being goaded by others, then they'll be the ones getting banned.

Common Sense Rule
    - Be sensible.
    The use of 'Technically, what I did is not disallowed by the charter' is not a valid defence against acting the idiot.
    Idiots will be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

As the forum mods aren't currently online I have reviewed the situation and taken the appropriate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Closing this thread as it has been brought to the attention of the cmods and they can take it from here.

@Sid Justice:
    any further appeal should be managed through the DRP. Seeing as there is not a mod available currently nad a Cmod imposed the ban you should address your appeal to the other cmod of the EDU category and that other cmod will handle your appeal as it would be unfair for Bobblehead Panda to both implement action and then review it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement