Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Lights In The Sky Last Night

• 28-10-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm very skeptical when it comes to this subject, but what the hell was in the skies over Limerick City last night?

From my own back-garden at about eleven last night, I saw three odd looking lights moving erratically about the sky. Thought straight away that these we're chinese lanterns but the lights we're moving at incredible speeds and changing directions every 5 seconds or so.

The lights actually followed one another as they moved and we're definitely not aircraft -the maneuvers performed are just not possible.

Anybody see them? Two others in my house saw the very same thing - really really weird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i'd sooner suggest given the time of year that it'd be fireworks rather than anything extra-terrestrial... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Could be those fancy spotlight things that the nightclubs use to attract the zombies students in. Like the ones that Trinners used to shine in the sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Probably just a spaceship

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Nope, definitely were not fireworks.

I watched them for about five mins straight just moving around the sky. The lights moved at fast speeds, stopped dead air, changed direction and carried on flying on numerous occasions.

I thought it was a complete pile of crap until I noticed that the lights moved in correspondence with each other - it would be impossible for army jets or commercial airliners to move in the way these did.

I know the lights that the night clubs sometimes shine into the sky. These looked like stars - must have been really high up, but still very visible.

I hate all the conspiracy crap that goes on these days, but I really cannot explain what was in the sky last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

surely you MUST have gotten a photo? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Probably just a spaceship

Nope, it was 3

Yeah I was going to video record it but it was pretty cloudy last night.

Clear as day for anyone to see. The lights were basically flying around the same spot for just about five minutes.

Really strange, I've never seen anything like it.

Thought all those UFO spotters were short a few screws, but what was going on in the sky last night was not normal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Armadillo
    "This is the time of year
    when almost every night
    the frail, illegal fire balloons appear.
    Climbing the mountain height,

rising toward a saint
    still honored in these parts,
    the paper chambers flush and fill with light
    that comes and goes, like hearts.

Once up against the sky it's hard
    to tell them from the stars --
    planets, that is -- the tinted ones:
    Venus going down, or Mars,

or the pale green one. With a wind,
    they flare and falter, wobble and toss;
    but if it's still they steer between
    the kite sticks of the Southern Cross,

receding, dwindling, solemnly
    and steadily forsaking us,
    or, in the downdraft from a peak,
    suddenly turning dangerous.

Last night another big one fell.
    It splattered like an egg of fire
    against the cliff behind the house.
    The flame ran down. We saw the pair

of owls who nest there flying up
    and up, their whirling black-and-white
    stained bright pink underneath, until
    they shrieked up out of sight.

The ancient owls' nest must have burned.
    Hastily, all alone,
    a glistening armadillo left the scene,
    rose-flecked, head down, tail down,

and then a baby rabbit jumped out,
    short-eared, to our surprise.
    So soft! -- a handful of intangible ash
    with fixed, ignited eyes.

Too pretty, dreamlike mimicry!
    O falling fire and piercing cry
    and panic, and a weak mailed fist
    clenched ignorant against the sky!
    "

- Elizabeth Bishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Doesn't sound like Lanterns.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dlofnep wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like Lanterns.

In that case, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056434062

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Doesn't meet that criteria. The IIS follows a set path. The OP claims to have seen multiple objects, moving at high speeds in varied directions. So it's none of the above.

I am positively certain it is not lanterns or fireworks.

A few others and I watched for minutes as they continued to fly, intelligently might I add, over the skies of the city ( I'm living two mins from city centre).

I would genuinely be the first to disprove this but you've gotta call a spade a spade - it was definitely something out of the ordinary.

These lights stayed in the same general airspace and just flew at high speeds from one end of the sky to the other - performing strange circle movements, flying around eachother and completely stopping in mid-air.

I would probably just think it was crap but the intricate movements and speeds are not possible with today's technology. I'm baffled anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,check out the 'Pheonix lights' video on youtube.See were they anything like them.

You know the completely crazy part - the lights in that video actually look quite similar.

The lights last night were dim enough because of the cloud cover - but they were as bright as stars and moved in a bunch of crazy ways.

Over the course of five minutes, I saw two of the lights actually flying and maneuvering in what can only be described as a synchronized fashion - I must stress the speed of these were unnatural to say the least.

The lights could easily have been seen by anyone living in the general environs of Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

"Whether we are alone in the Universe or we are not,either thought is frightening".- Arthur C Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Chinese lanterns tied together. Speeds and directions can be quite deceptive.

Nope, highly improbable.

These lights moved in together then separated - did this on numerous occasions.

I have never heard of lanterns that travel at speeds faster than a jet fighter - they tend to float, not propel themselves through the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

I saw them too this morning on the way to Shannon at about 07:30 when it was dark.

Weird like really fast red lights flashing. Too fast for a plane.

I'd say a lot more people saw these lights - they were just too hard to miss.

I didn't think anything of it until I was shown by somebody else.

Stood outside in the cold gazing at them for at least five minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Armadillo
    "This is the time of year
    when almost every night
    the frail, illegal fire balloons appear.
    Climbing the mountain height,

rising toward a saint
    still honored in these parts,
    the paper chambers flush and fill with light
    that comes and goes, like hearts.

Once up against the sky it's hard
    to tell them from the stars --
    planets, that is -- the tinted ones:
    Venus going down, or Mars,

or the pale green one. With a wind,
    they flare and falter, wobble and toss;
    but if it's still they steer between
    the kite sticks of the Southern Cross,

receding, dwindling, solemnly
    and steadily forsaking us,
    or, in the downdraft from a peak,
    suddenly turning dangerous.

Last night another big one fell.
    It splattered like an egg of fire
    against the cliff behind the house.
    The flame ran down. We saw the pair

of owls who nest there flying up
    and up, their whirling black-and-white
    stained bright pink underneath, until
    they shrieked up out of sight.

The ancient owls' nest must have burned.
    Hastily, all alone,
    a glistening armadillo left the scene,
    rose-flecked, head down, tail down,

and then a baby rabbit jumped out,
    short-eared, to our surprise.
    So soft! -- a handful of intangible ash
    with fixed, ignited eyes.

Too pretty, dreamlike mimicry!
    O falling fire and piercing cry
    and panic, and a weak mailed fist
    clenched ignorant against the sky!
    "

- Elizabeth Bishop

Oh look its President Michael D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is impossible to accurately judge the speed/distance of an object in the sky at night.

I'd put my life-savings on the lights being lanterns blown about by the wind.

Lads, I try to be rational with everything - not into the whole UFO business - but I can categorically state that it wasn't a lantern.

These lights zoomed from one end to the sky in to the other in about two seconds - how could a lantern achieve these kind of speeds.

They were racing about the sky for more than five minutes - not floating, actually racing at immeasurable speeds - and there were three. Unless somebody attached an advanced rocket to three lanterns, put pilots in them and let them loose for a few minutes, they weren't lanterns.

Could it be possible that it may have been light reflecting off insects a few metres above your heads, rather than something way up in the sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus

Some outlandish theories there.:D

It was three lights, miles up in the air and moving around for about five minutes. My back-garden is paved in concrete so I highly doubt it was insects.

It was probably a weather balloon though - that seems to be the standard issue explanation for most of these happenings.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was it a light that looked to flicker from yellow to red constantly? saw something in the sky above raheen around 1am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Im still going to guess lanterns. they all moved in the same direction? wind. they changed direction? so did the wind. the speed? you've no frame of reference as you dont know how high up they are.
    they're everywhere for halloween at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

This is not aimed at the original poster but at any or all of these kind of posts . There are a few of ye , it goes on for more than five minutes and no one thinks to point their phone up at the sky and take a picture or a video ?

• Advertisement

It would have been pointless to record as It was too hazy for anybody to properly see.

That's the reason I started the thread - to see if anybody else saw them.

No disrespect Zuroph as you probably didn't see them but I have seen plenty of lanterns around and these literally went from one end of the sky to the other in a flash. How could lanterns travel that fast?

I could roughly estimate the altitude of these lights and they were definitely not in the range that lanterns float - this looked higher than commercial planes.

There really should be a hell of lot more people that saw these lights. They were flying right above Limerick City centre.

Advertisement