Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Lights In The Sky Last Night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

how can you estimate the height, you have no idea what size it was, or what it was???! You have no frame of reference for height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

zuroph wrote: »
    how can you estimate the height, you have no idea what size it was, or what it was???! You have no frame of reference for height.

Perhaps you should go outside and guage your point of reference, for something to go from one end of the visible sky to the other in a flash would be phonomenal. I've seen the fastest object i've seen travel across the visible sky and that was the ISS and that took a good 10-15 seconds.

And to take any type of photo at night would need a serious SLR camera.

Dont mind them OP, I can imagine your frustration reading much of the above, they would have you believe you havent a clue of what you witnessed!!!! I would have loved to have seen what you seen. Sounds amazing.

so it travelling "at a flash" means it was high up? there's no frame of reference, as you dont know the size

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Well, you can decide and formulate your own theories but I, along with a few people who did see it, know that it wasn't remotely anything related to a lantern.

I think I am intelligent enough to discern between something moving at huge speeds and a paltry Chinese lantern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

zuroph wrote: »
    so it travelling "at a flash" means it was high up? there's no frame of reference, as you dont know the size

No it doesn't, regardless of its size or altitude, if it travelled across the sky "at a flash" it was something out of the ordinary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

My son saw something similar last night, some time between 8 and 9. When he read the original post, he said it sounded exactly like what he saw.

We're on the North side of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Relax lads,its the Irish government testing our new state of the art top secret fighter planes to add to our world class air force.

ok. how about a light/lazer show at the racecourse for the students halloween party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

I saw those lights as well, exactly as the OP described them.
    Was outside my house at 2am about 3years ago smoking a cig and looking up at the sky , it was a clear night and their was loads of stars visible.

I was leaning against the fence looking up for a couple of minutes and everything was static (as normal) then all of a sudden three lights that looked like stars and seemed as far away as stars started whizzing all over the place,this went on till i went back inside as i got a bit windy. Five minutes later I went back outside 'kinda thinking to myself , did that just happen ?' Looked back up and everything was static and it started again ,three lights flying individually horizontally and vertically at amazing speed across the sky, these lights were to the side of the house and would of been over Castletroy , the lights from the planes can be seen at night to the front of the house in the Raheen direction.

I know for a fact that these were not Lanterns or plane lights as I was looking up the whole time ,nothing rose up and no lantern or plane could pull off the manoeuvres that these lights were doing. I can't explain what these lights were but it was a freaky experience and exactly like what the Op described.

Yeah your description is the exact same as mine.

No lanterns whatsoever. I am not mistaken, I know exactly what I saw.

Last Summer me and a group of friends set off a few lanterns and watched them - they look nothing like what was in the sky last night.

No laser shows, no bugs, no balloons - nothing of the sort.

I've never in my life seen something move so fast in the sky. It's weird seeing one not to mind three at the same time.

• Advertisement

neo2010 wrote: »
    Yeah your description is the exact same as mine.

No lanterns whatsoever. I am not mistaken, I know exactly what I saw.

Last Summer me and a group of friends set off a few lanterns and watched them - they look nothing like what was in the sky last night.

No laser shows, no bugs, no balloons - nothing of the sort.

I've never in my life seen something move so fast in the sky. It's weird seeing one not to mind three at the same time.

neo2010, all I can say is I believe you but I ain't too comfortable about getting into a conversation about it such was the impression it left on me. As you said ,I know what I seen and I don't expect people to believe me, hence me not mentioning it to anyone before. All I will say was that it was both a exhilarating and frightening experience that I am not sure I would like to experience again.

Yeah it gets pretty frustrating when a few off-the-wall explanations are thrown at you.

It just seems pretty unsettling seeing lights moving at incredible speeds in the skies above the city.

If anybody has ever seen a shooting star in the sky at night, that is a good estimation as to how fast these were going.

It's not even the speeds that astound me, it's the absolute precision-like movements that we're carried out whilst travelling.

I saw a video during the Summer relating to lights seen above London City during the day - looked very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

OP... was there any partial cloud-cover which could give some indication as to the altitude of these lights? Did they seem to be above the clouds, or were they bright enough to be visible through light clouds? Might give an approximate clue to the altitude, are we talking of a height of say, 30,000 ft? similar to the height of jet aircraft.

Yeah.. they went from this point to that point as though this is what stars do,not a bother to what ever it was. Neo ,tis best just to forget about this, you saw what you saw and some of us believe you but there's many who won't. The best way to deal with this is to 'Just remember what you seen and enjoy the buzz 'because the vast majority will never believe you and you can never prove it.

you know what, sorry, I apologise for being skeptical. Would love to see it too and understand more.

The lights seemed extremely high up in the sky. They looked like stars shining, just that they were moving at unnatural speeds. (They appeared to be almost in space - as in that high up. It's actually really difficult to explain, but they were very very high up.)

They were definitely above the clouds. I could see the ISS last night and these were immeasurably higher - that's what struck me as strange - the speed, movements and general height.

It seems pretty cool but weird at the same time. I'd probably laugh if one of my friends said they saw something similar, but now I actually understand how amazing it can be to see something so strange with your own eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I don't dismiss what you saw. My nephew and a group of lads saw lights one night as well that really really frightened them. I was saying to them it must have been a helicopter or something like that but said if I'd seen it i'd understand. It flew across the sky at incredible speeds and stopped immediately over them and started decending. They all freaked out, and they're all normal young fellas. They said it flew out over the Shannon again.

Only thing I've always wondered is, if it's extraterrestrial why would they fly millions of light years to another planet to do tricks in the sky to scare people. There must be a logical explanation for it

Absolutely agree with you.

The lights were spinning and doing all sorts of crazy movements.

A lot of the time they also seemed to just hover - then dart off in opposing directions, then regroup. You would have to see something like this to believe it - it would seem farfetched to anybody who didn't but it actually happened right over the city.

my astronomer mate tells me that for the last few nights there's been incredible aurora shows taking place, further down than usual, even seen in some southern united states... could be a possible explanation... most of Ireland being clouded out hasnt helped it be more noticed here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

neo2010 wrote: »
    The lights seemed extremely high up in the sky. They looked like stars shining, just that they were moving at unnatural speeds. (They appeared to be almost in space - as in that high up. It's actually really difficult to explain, but they were very very high up.)

I believe you seen something that has moved at incredible speed high up but as with me many years ago I had seen some very strange things as well but once you tell someone they laugh and come up with a lantern or bugs or swamp-gas.

the problem with these kind of people is in their little world/box they just see what is in front/behind/left/right and they never look up as this is alien to them and also they are not educated in space above or with anything of this kind. if they looked up they would probably faint.

mostly it's a lack of education when people use stupid words like a chinese lantern in this case as they have not seen it as you and others have and even if such people did see this they would just not understand it i.e speeds of acceleration motion height also distinguishing between other space objects etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

KaiserMc wrote: »
    neo2010, all I can say is I believe you but I ain't too comfortable about getting into a conversation about it such was the impression it left on me. As you said ,I know what I seen and I don't expect people to believe me, hence me not mentioning it to anyone before. All I will say was that it was both a exhilarating and frightening experience that I am not sure I would like to experience again.

Don't worry about it.

Was most likely a natural phenomenon rather than aliens cruising around on their spaceships.

Don't worry about it.

Was most likely a natural phenomenon rather than aliens cruising around on their spaceships.

who said anything about aliens ? you are the first person to bring aliens into it.

and also how can you say it is most likely natural phenomenon when you have not observed or seen or studied by sight these things as the o.p has ?. there are a lot of things it could be but bringing aliens into the equation here is a fabrication of your comment.

zenno wrote: »
    who said anything about aliens ? you are the first person to bring aliens into it.

Could have been an alien flying his spaceship, open your mind.

Could have been an alien flying his spaceship, open your mind.

my mind is open but not so that my brains fall out.

I know a lot about this stuff but you have to be careful. another analogy would be, maybe some of these things could be probes as it is feasible or maybe some of them are controlled by some kind of life-form or plasma based intelligence we don't have the solid proof yet but according to hessdalen norway scientists they do know now that some of these very unusual aerial objects are plasma based and the material in most of these objects use scandium which is a very intensely strong material which is used in the latest military jets believe it or not but the scientists from many countries have this as fact in their spectrum analysis and the plasma objects that have been studied have been recorded as moving at extreme speed.

this is an example of the study of this particular plasma...

zenno wrote: »
    my mind is open but not so that my brains fall out.

Ya I don't think it was aliens either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Seen just what you described about 25 years ago up north :D thought it was a helicopter but it traveled too fast.

i_believe.jpg

Ya I don't think it was aliens either.

don't get me wrong, i do believe just like many scientists believe that life does exist out there and this i would say is a certain fact but until solid evidence is found regarding extraterrestrial visitation to this planet the book will stay open just like it should be in peoples mind.

for all we know aliens are and have been in the past visiting this planet but it just gets a lot harder to prove this. who knows what truths we will hear in the near future but solid proof would be the done deal to end this problem once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

what part of the sky did it happen, I was looking at jupitor that night @ about 11pm, would loved to have seen it and believe you did see something, but will you take a video of a photo of it the next time it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

did it have a volkswagen badge on the front of the, erm, "spaceship"? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

xsiborg wrote: »
    did it have a volkswagen badge on the front of the, erm, "spaceship"? :o
    Scramjet red T red D red eye. Lol ;-) T'would never sell unless it was in tax band A. Some Booo off it with a straight thru pipe, lad.

Disgusted that anyone took my swamp gas quote seriously and missed a reference to a classic of modern cinema. Philistines!

Advertisement