Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst FSX crash to desktop moment?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

So last night I was flying in the A2A, Accusim Spitfire, which I've been learning to fly the last few days; It was a short flight, but I'd managed to start her up, Taxi out, takeoff, climb to cruise altitude, all without blowing the engine!

Anyway, after a short cruise I descended, and lined up for the runway, as the runway approached, FSX crashed on me! I was gutted!

Anybody else have any heart-breaking stories of FSX (Or any other flightsim) crashing at the worst moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

heh, long flight from Red Dear Alberta, to Castlegar British Columbia in a DC3... 2 hours hand flying it through the mountains, aproach perfect in what is what a very difficult aproach for anything larger than a cessna... Land, roll to a stop, apply power to turn and taxi to parking, CRASH.

And I couldn't restart the Acars program, so my flight log was lost, and a lot of effort... good practice, but I'd have liked to have logged that one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Crowman wrote: »
    Anybody else have any heart-breaking stories of FSX (Or any other flightsim) crashing at the worst moment?

I haven't had one for a while....but if its going to crash to desktop it likes to do it when I'm on approach to a busy airport on Vatsim. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Not Fsx but in the real sim a few years ago during a sim check on the 737 whole building had a power failure (suprised there was no generator) sim lost power and myself and the examiner stuck in there for about 2 hours until power came back lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Intimate eh andy? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Worst crash for me would have to be when I was on finals on RWY 27L at Heathrow after an overnight flight from Singapore with British Airways 747-400. PC crashed on me and I lost all of my hours as vAcars doesn't allow you to continue your flight after being disconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

I hope this isn't whistling past the cemetery gate, but thankfully CTDs have been few and far between, if at all, since I applied this correction:

http://flightsimaviation.blogspot.com/2010/06/fix-fsx-out-of-memory-oom-errors.html

I don't do long flights (my definition: anything over 45 minutes) so that helps avoid the most painful CTD scenarios. The worst I experienced would have to be when flying Wilcos CRJ200 from Hamburg to Cork, and the OOM error happened over the Belgian coast. Dammit.

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

My current system behaves itself fairly well but in the past I've had incredibly frustrating CTDs, usually on final approach after a complicated flight on VATSIM or with tons of other traffic in the vicinity. I think the worst was during a VATSIM event called "cross the ditch" where as many people as possible fly between Austrailia and NZ. Preflight planning took ages and then all throughout the flight i did positon reports and there was full ATC the entire journey. The pain of a CTD just on final approach to Sydney after 3.5 hours of carefull flying was bad.

Windows 7 64bit has behaved really well and handles it memory way better then XP or 32bit versions of Windows did. Highly recommend it.

Advertisement