Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards.ie

• 28-10-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Anyone but gallagher ?

I enjoyed the posts on the election. There seemed to be a strong anti corruption/ff bias on the board....

Did it influence anyone or could most of the posters see through sg/ff from the start...

The pro V anti MMG was quite bitter and little understanding of either points of view...

I am very much against sf but if my family had been treated like the Catholics in the North were treated by the unionists my thinking might be quite different...
    I think what has damaged sf ( besides the murders ) is the involvement in crime...

Normal thinking people waited with baited breath when we got the peace process thinking " what now for the redundant freedom fighters "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

brownswiss wrote: »
    Did it influence anyone or could most of the posters see through sg/ff from the start...

I never saw RTE's Dragon's Den, and knew nothing whatever about Gallagher at the start of the campaign. I posted here that I'd be giving Gallagher my #3, after Davis (to encourage independents) and Higgins, who I expected to win.

Boards.ie certainly helped open my eyes about Gallagher, but Frontline would have done it for me regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Strong anti-FF bias and a very nasty pro vs anti SF debate are the order of the day on the Politics forum for many years now. Most of the FF supporters from a few years back no longer post on the forum, or if they do they don't openly support FF anymore (and may have stopped supporting them for all I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'd decided to vote MDH since his candidacy was announced. I'd be considered as a floating voter I suppose. There wasn't anybody that came close to him for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I never saw RTE's Dragon's Den, and knew nothing whatever about Gallagher at the start of the campaign.

Same here.

I didn't change my #1, but an early possible #2 ended up being dumped completely once I realised who he was really representing and the extent of his lies....

bye-bye Seanie! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

The two main Norris threads were closed long before the election - was there a hint of political bais there ? A fear perhaps of too much focus on the negative side of Mr Norris. Cant say if I have ever before on any site seen the threads which have attrcted most posts and views actaully being closed down long before the relevant election ! :)

• Advertisement

anymore wrote: »
    The two main Norris threads were closed long before the election - was there a hint of political bais there ? A fear perhaps of too much focus on the negative side of Mr Norris. Cant say if I have ever before on any site seen the threads which have attrcted most posts and views actaully being closed down long before the relevant election ! :)

The pro and anti Norris sides couldn't behave in those threads, thus why they were locked. It was a sign of how little Norris mattered in this campaign that there weren't more threads and more discussion about him after the locks. We locked a load of McGuinness threads but it didn't stop the continued discussion of the man etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I thought of posting some Norris threads but didnt see the point. I can't see how the behaviour of posters on the Norris threads differed very much from the general standard of behaviour on the political section. maybe I should review the threads to be fair.

anymore wrote: »
    I thought of posting some Norris threads but didnt see the point. I can't see how the behaviour of posters on the Norris threads differed very much from the general standard of behaviour on the political section. maybe I should review the threads to be fair.

The closest thing trouble-wise to the Norris threads were the McGuinness threads which had a lot of them locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Same here.

I didn't change my #1, but an early possible #2 ended up being dumped completely once I realised who he was really representing and the extent of his lies....

your a higgins supporter ,why would you vote otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

brownswiss wrote: »
    Anyone but gallagher ?

I enjoyed the posts on the election. There seemed to be a strong anti corruption/ff bias on the board....

The pro V anti MMG was quite bitter and little understanding of either points of view...

I am very much against sf but if my family had been treated like the Catholics in the North were treated by the unionists my thinking might be quite different...
    I think what has damaged sf ( besides the murders ) is the involvement in crime...

Normal thinking people waited with baited breath when we got the peace process thinking " what now for the redundant freedom fighters "

What shocked me most about Boards was the high amount of support Norris received. Even in the post election poll, he was in 2nd or 3rd last time I checked.

People would complain about Gallagher yet have no problem with Norris' chequered past? That's why I find most surprising.

I couldn't even bring myself to give the man a preference after his radio interview and the letters he wrote. Not ot mention the disability claims he has been making while working. Say what you want but there's no way that sort of an action can be warranted.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    What shocked me most about Boards was the high amount of support Norris received.

He was my #1 from the time he got on the ballot. The only real independent in the race in this reality.

What shocked me most about Boards was the high amount of support Norris received. Even in the post election poll, he was in 2nd or 3rd last time I checked.

Um, boards.ie's demographic is slightly left wing and under 35. i.e. exactly where more of Norris' support was coming from. Norris was always facing the problem of the over 40s vote and that due to the nature of this site, won't be well represented here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is this thread about? The title doesn't give anything away.

biko wrote: »
    The title doesn't give anything away.

The OP isn't very clear, either, but I think the thread is about:

Did boards.ie influence anyones vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He was my #1 from the time he got on the ballot. The only real independent in the race in this reality.

And you'd have no problem with any of the revelations that came to light during the course of the campaign?

And you'd have no problem with any of the revelations that came to light during the course of the campaign?

Which one? The revelation that Helen Lucy Burke is a dirty old woman, that Norris unwisely wrote letters to support his pervy boyfriend, or that Trinity apparently put a gay man on disability for catching a strange kind of hepatitis in the 80s?

Anyhow, no, none of those bother me in the slightest. I expect Norris to continue to shine in public life for some years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Boards.ie didn't influence my vote but I really enjoyed reading everyones opinions and having the odd row. I got to like some people here and also despise some, but overall a very balanced pile of opinions. See you in 7 years (or maybe sooner if Michael D pops his clogs midway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Did boards.ie influence anyones vote?

Not really- It did give quite alot of creedance however to doubts over whether democracy is really the best way of electing our representatives. And no, I don't suggest a better way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I never saw RTE's Dragon's Den, and knew nothing whatever about Gallagher at the start of the campaign. I posted here that I'd be giving Gallagher my #3, after Davis (to encourage independents) and Higgins, who I expected to win.

Boards.ie certainly helped open my eyes about Gallagher, but Frontline would have done it for me regardless.
    Do you not think it was very unprofessional of Pat Kenny to quote what a fake twitter page was saying as fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Same here.

your a higgins supporter ,why would you vote otherwise

Define "Higgins supporter"

I viewed him as the best of a bad lot by a mile, so who else would you think I would support ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Do you not think it was very unprofessional of Pat Kenny to quote what a fake twitter page was saying as fact?

It was most likely his producer to be fair. Doubt Kenny was using Internet Explorer and hosting a TV program at the same time.

I don't think there was an ABSG vote around anyway. I certainly wasn't, I was anyone but the bad candidates and that left Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I have to say I'm glad at the way this election has gone, my number 1 has done himself proud with a stronger than expected vote (Martin McGuinness), my number 2 is certain to snatch the presidency and my number 3 (Norris) done well considering. Boards was a bad place for me during the run up to the election seemed i couldnt post but be attacked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

thebman wrote: »
    It was most likely his producer to be fair. Doubt Kenny was using Internet Explorer and hosting a TV program at the same time.

I don't think there was an ABSG vote around anyway. I certainly wasn't, I was anyone but the bad candidates and that left Higgins.
    Who got an easy ride from the media. Perhaps had he not you would have considered him a bad candidate too?

Remember Higgins sat at the Cabinet that introduced the tax-amnesty. He should have been probed more about that.VB was the only one that did so.

It's a funny old world when VB is as impartial as the media gets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement