Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

President Higgins

• 28-10-2011 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

Higgins is an old fart! Gallagher would have brought some fresh thinking, particularly to the food/drink export sector! 5000! fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well there was always the feeling that support for Gallagher was 'soft' support, and thus his leads in the polls where not as large as the numbers suggested, plus the last few days and the money controversy eroded a lot of that 'soft' support.

No surprise the Michael D is going to win, well done with the bet too by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The pollsters didn't get it wrong, there was a meltdown of support once Gallagher was revealed to not be all things to all men, but instead a very specific thing.

Flash in the pans come from nowhere and they go just as quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

The system works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

I'd say you were fairly worried about a return on that €5,000 at this stage last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think Morgan got a better return on his €5k. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't believe you about the 5,000 bet. Pics or GTFO.

Delighted to see Higgins win. Thank FU*K our commander in chief isn't that slime ball Gallagher!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

james405 wrote: »
    Higgins is an old fart! Gallagher would have brought some fresh thinking, particularly to the food/drink export sector! 5000! fair play!

Maybe if he wants to bring some fresh thinking to the food/drink export sector he should have looked for a job in it? This was the Presidency after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

This is embarrassing, people do realise that this guy is the face of Ireland and has to welcome other world leaders when they come to Ireland. I can't believe people fell for this crap, Gallagher should be president. This is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

james405 wrote: »
    Poppycock. We were voting for president, not minister of exports.

I'm astonished that there are people who still don't get this.

• Advertisement

Liam90 wrote: »
    This is embarrassing, people do realise that this guy is the face of Ireland and has to welcome other world leaders when they come to Ireland. I can't believe people fell for this crap, Gallagher should be president. This is a joke!
    If you want to go down that road, I don't think Gallagher's face is what anybody wants to see...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cant believe you fell for Gallaghers crap. A guy who has no business acumen.... Wondered dazzily into Dragons Den, and is not looking for some other easy job to keep him tied over for the next few years because property is down the swaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

What will your winnings be - a photograph hand delivered by a Fianna Fail bagman. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I for one welcome our new presidential overlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Poppycock. We were voting for president, not minister of exports.

I'm astonished that there are people who still don't get this.

Even gallagher didnt know what job he was going for never mind the people who voted for him. best excuse i heard yesterday

"I've voted No.1 Dana and No.2 Gallagher because I dont agree with the bailout and Dana will tell Europe where to go and Gallagher will bring jobs"

/unfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Well if we're going to be superficial I would rather an erudite looking chap like MDH rather than someone who looks like Mussolini.

MDH is best qualified for the job of constitutional guardian, very pleased with the early indicators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I really cant understand where the support for Gallagher was coming from, demographically I mean?

From my personal understanding, he is not an academic and there are too many grey areas in relation to his finances never mind his political affiliations. The former is not a perquisite, but in my opinion credible finances are paramount in post Celtic Tiger politics.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Maybe if he wants to bring some fresh thinking to the food/drink export sector he should have looked for a job in it? This was the Presidency after all.

well him and his FF cronies can suck on fresh lemons tonight - providing their IRISH lemons tho. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

€5k! Holy crap.

Converting that in back to Universal Base Currency, that would be...

500,000 apple jacks / fruit salads
    or
    50,000 chomps

It was quite a lot to loose. So what will your stash be upgraded to next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 FeckinUsername

Lol, that would be great for the international reputation alright. Here we are trying to show the world that we have leant from the mistakes and crimes of our previous political regime, and you are advocating putting the very personification of the corruption and cronyism of Fianna Fail in as President!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

listermint wrote: »
    Cant believe you fell for Gallaghers crap. A guy who has no business acumen.... Wondered dazzily into Dragons Den, and is not looking for some other easy job to keep him tied over for the next few years because property is down the swaney.

Relax, he's more than likely a life long FF supporter who feals they had their punishment and now it's just a waiting game to vote them back in by landslide now that the Economy has been stabalised from the free fall it was left in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

manlad wrote: »
    I'd say you were fairly worried about a return on that €5,000 at this stage last week.

I'm pretty sure he backed Gallagher as well.

do you honestly think that that warped headed nomark is somebody that visiting dignitaries want to see first thing - I mean even his wife deserves a medal - fancing seeing that thing coming for you without warning. He looks like an extra from the movie Deliverance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Funny you should say that, because I can't believe people almost fell for Gallagher's crap. Still, all's well that ends well. Michael D abu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Aftertiming going strong in here

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

do you honestly think that that warped headed nomark is somebody that visiting dignitaries want to see first thing - I mean even his wife deserves a medal - fancing seeing that thing coming for you without warning. He looks like an extra from the movie Deliverance. :D

Spluttered on my tea at that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

anyone know when we hear the important results of the referendums

The other world leaders visiting will probably be happier about coming if they don't need to check their watch is missing after handshakes with the president.

• Advertisement

Count for that starts tomorrow, so tomorrow evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Coverage of them has been a joke. Especially regarding Abbeylara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

really hope Higgins gets it

who on earth voted for Gallagher????????? good oul Ireland again i suppose vote yes for lisborn and we do even tough we voted no

oh and Gallagher doesn't need a mask for halloween he already has one

dragons den joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I look forward to hearing Michael D's victory speech poem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

I didnt like any of them - this election was a good advertisment for monarchy or military coups :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I just want to say well done for the media for giving Michael D Higgins a free ride to the Aras and to Sinn Fein and the former IRA man for facilitating it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well congrats Michael D. Not my first choice but a safe pair of hands for the next 7 years. Quite possibly the last 7 year term president too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Well done to the people who voted for him. We're not ****ing lemmings, we can make up our own mind.

You won't make good wine out of those sour grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The other world leaders visiting will probably be happier about coming if they don't need to check their watch is missing after handshakes with the president.

It's not only their watches they could have been worried about, they would have had to carry those little mirrors on sticks to check the underneath of their cars if it had gone another way.

Min wrote: »
    I just want to say well done for the media for giving Michael D Higgins a free ride to the Aras and to Sinn Fein and the former IRA man for facilitating it.
    Of course, the notion that there was just no dirt to be found on a politician is beyond the comprehension of FFailure supporters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

A slightly annoying and slightly decrepit old man will be our president but let us all now relax and take deep breaths, the office is such that he can do no harm, no more than Gallagher or even the former subversive McGuinness could have done harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I really, really hope MDH get's it. I honestly couldn't believe people were falling for that Gallaghers crap. I feared we were falling for the "x-factor" candidate.

Jaysus, thankfully people appeared to have learned.

Teclo wrote: »
    A slightly annoying and slightly decrepit old man will be our president but let us all now relax and take deep breaths, the office is such that he can do no harm, no more than Gallagher or even the former subversive McGuinness could have done harm.

It wouldn't have done our international reputation much good if dirt about corruption continued to emerge about the man we voted for as president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

no more than Gallagher or even the former subversive McGuinness could have done harm.
    Not much of a choice there - corrupt, lieing, cowboy builder or "reformed" terrorist.
    Christ I hope MDH gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Well there was always the feeling that support for Gallagher was 'soft' support, and thus his leads in the polls where not as large as the numbers suggested, plus the last few days and the money controversy eroded a lot of that 'soft' support.

No surprise the Michael D is going to win, well done with the bet too by the way

more like soft support for michael d ,people just felt sorry for him as he only last one term if elected,

It wouldn't have done our international reputation much good if dirt about corruption continued to emerge about the man we voted for as president.

Corruption? At worst all he did(and he denies it) was to collect a donation for a political party, all within the rules. Most of the world have leaders who can be accused of far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Gallagher is a power hungry up and comer. The position of President doesn't need that. It is a ceremonial position which requires somenone with tact,diplomacy and the ability to showcase Ireland at an official level. I think Higgins will do that, and the voters of Ireland think that too. I'm not a Labour supporter but this election was all about personalities and Higgins kept himself out of any harm - whther through skill or political guile or just because that's the way he is.

Anyway,its done now. Bring on another Lisbon referendum now, can't wait to screw the Eurocrats.

Gallagher is a power hungry...

if that is so he must also be stupid for wanting to be president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I put Gay Mitchell above Higgins in the end. As much as I don't like Mitchell, at least he's mobile and will last the term.

I've said it from the start, there's no doubting Higgins is the best qualified candidate but, compare the man to Martin McGuinness in terms of mobility and general health, would you believe there is only eight years in age between the two men?

This presidency has come a term too late for Higgins IMO. He's too old now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

if that is so he must also be stupid for wanting to be president

You said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

I'm delighted for Michael D
    Out of the bunch,he'll be a great president :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement