Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

President Higgins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Lemlin wrote: »
    I put Gay Mitchell above Higgins in the end. As much as I don't like Mitchell, at least he's mobile and will last the term.

I've said it from the start, there's no doubting Higgins is the best qualified candidate but, compare the man to Martin McGuinness in terms of mobility and general health, would you believe there is only eight years in age between the two men?

This presidency has come a term too late for Higgins IMO. He's too old now.

wow, at what age do you think people should be left out to die so. Let's just shoot all the old people and have done - they are obviously good for nothing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I never knew this was such a ageist country. Michael D is more than capable of performing this role, far more so than the 'young' inarticulate chancer, Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I never knew this was such a ageist country. Michael D is more than capable of performing this role, far more so than the 'young' inarticulate chancer, Gallagher.

Luckily, these people are in the minority, and the voting is prving that. The best qualified person for the job (imo) is getting the job; this makes me happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Teclo wrote: »
    Corruption? At worst all he did(and he denies it) was to collect a donation for a political party, all within the rules. Most of the world have leaders who can be accused of far worse.

The cheque wasn't the problem - it was the lies. He denied it, admitted it (when he thought the game was up) and then denied it again. He's an amateur and a chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

elguapo wrote: »
    Luckily, these people are in the minority, and the voting is prving that. The best qualified person for the job (imo) is getting the job; this makes me happy.

I am begining to have that warming feeling in my heart that there may be some good, well minded people out there after all, and that there is hope for this dull, overcast, cold, wet godforsaken Mordo of a Country afterall!! Well Done Michael D!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

hiram wrote: »
    I am begining to have that warming feeling in my heart that there may be some good, well minded people out there after all, and that there is hope for this dull, overcast, cold, wet godforsaken Mordo of a Country afterall!! Well Done Michael D!!:D

It appears that Michael is most people's first choice, and almost everyone's second (was mine). You can't say fairer than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

more like soft support for michael d ,people just felt sorry for him as he only last one term if elected,
    I think the reason people voted for him is because anyone with half a brain could see he was the best of the 7 by a country mile.
    Any of the other 6 would be an embarrassment to the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Teclo wrote: »
    Corruption? At worst all he did(and he denies it) was to collect a donation for a political party, all within the rules. Most of the world have leaders who can be accused of far worse.

He charged GAA clubs €5,000 so he could fill in a grant form..

Then he used his .. connections.. to make sure that it was seen at the highest level and approved.

It smells like corruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

wow, at what age do you think people should be left out to die so. Let's just shoot all the old people and have done - they are obviously good for nothing. :rolleyes:

How is my point about old people? I know plenty of old people who are in great health in their 70s. Michael D is not one however.

The man obviously has mobility issues and the first image I don't want people to see in other regions of the figurehead of our country is an old man struggling to get down the steps at a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

I put Gay Mitchell above Higgins in the end. As much as I don't like Mitchell, at least he's mobile and will last the term.

I've said it from the start, there's no doubting Higgins is the best qualified candidate but, compare the man to Martin McGuinness in terms of mobility and general health, would you believe there is only eight years in age between the two men?

I dont get all this "too old for the presidency" stuff.
    Michael D is 70 years old.Eamon de Valera was 77 when he was elected into his first term and he stayed in office until 14 years later.In fact Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson were the youngest Irish presidents ever elected so I dont think thats an issue at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I didn't want Higgins to win. Mainly because I didn't want to have to live thru another pointless, stooopid Irish presidential campaign in another 7 years. I was hoping whoever would win would stay on for the second term without re-election in 2018 like Mary McAleese did. But little chance of that with a going-on 71 year old! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Of course, the notion that there was just no dirt to be found on a politician is beyond the comprehension of FFailure supporters...

So having Daniel Ortega over for tea in Galway at his house afte rthe stepdaughter of Ortega said he sexaully abused her from the age of 11 is not dirt, a man Higgins championed.

Candleit vigil for terrorist Yasser Arafat after he died, a man who supported suicide bombings.
    Complainig the EU made Hamas a proscribed organisation in the EU?

It was quite appropriate a former terrorist helped him on the frontline to get elected.

Michael D is a former member of FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

I respect the Voting system of this land but I am not happy with the outcome as is likely with Higgin`s.Yes he maybe a wonderful speaker and a very intelligent person but is he Presidential material? In my view No.BOL anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I admire you for admitting you can place a wager for € 5,000 !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Congratulations Mr.Higgins. You fought a clean campaign. The same cannot be said about the media that wanted you to get in from Day 1.

At least the kangaroo-courts referendum is finished for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Min wrote: »
    So having Daniel Ortega over for tea in Galway at his house afte rthe stepdaughter of Ortega said he sexaully abused her from the age of 11 is not dirt, a man Higgins championed.

Was there a court case and what was the outcome ?
    Candleit vigil for terrorist Yasser Arafat after he died, a man who supported suicide bombings.

This is a new one......link ?
    Complainig the EU made Hamas a proscribed organisation in the EU?

Already discussed.
    Michael D is a former member of FF.

So is Dessie O'Malley, but he left as soon as he encountered the corruption. So this point is irrelevant.

county man wrote: »
    I dont get all this "too old for the presidency" stuff.
    Michael D is 70 years old.Eamon de Valera was 77 when he was elected into his first term and he stayed in office until 14 years later.In fact Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson were the youngest Irish presidents ever elected so I dont think thats an issue at all.

We're in a different age now. De Valera was president until 1973. The media was nothing near the force it is now back then. The media has forever changed the role of the president.

Any President now is alot more visibile than when De Valera was president. To me, we're moving back into the era of the President being a retirement job with Higgins' election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the plus side, he may well be the first President to enjoy his eleventy-first birthday in office.

The fireworks order is already in.

Seriously though, I'm happy. He seems to be the only candidate with no dirty laundry, or at the very least the least dull and mediocre of the lot (Norris was the only other colourful character of the lot). When that's the criteria for deciding an election, it's a sad state of affairs. But Michael D. is IMO the best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Any chance of an oul' digout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I just want to say well done for the media for giving Michael D Higgins a free ride to the Aras and to Sinn Fein and the former IRA man for facilitating it.

Ah come on take your beating :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I didn't want Higgins to win. Mainly because I didn't want to have to live thru another pointless, stooopid Irish presidential campaign in another 7 years. I was hoping whoever would win would stay on for the second term without re-election in 2018 like Mary McAleese did. But little chance of that with a going-on 71 year old! :(
    I ceratinly was hoping that we could ahve an agreed candidate in 7 years time - this has been such an axtravangant waste of time for a position that is realtaively powerless. Still at least Sarkozy will be pleased there is one Head of State who he can look in the eye !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Of course, the notion that there was just no dirt to be found on a politician is beyond the comprehension of FFailure supporters...

But, but, but..... he's short......and he has funny hair.....and occasionally rambles....

Yeah I know that he opposes the illegal israeli occupation which is a bit controversial but it's hardly an issue of character. He's a decent sort and people know it. FFailures seem to think that all politicians are as dishonest as they are and just don't understand that people can have integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

On the plus side, he may well be the first President to enjoy his eleventy-first birthday in office.

The fireworks order is already in.

Seriously though, I'm happy. He seems to be the only candidate with no dirty laundry, or at the very least the least dull and mediocre of the lot (Norris was the only other colourful character of the lot). When that's the criteria for deciding an election, it's a sad state of affairs. But Michael D. is IMO the best choice.

Dana was colourful. So was Gallagher for that matter. Bat**** mental and congenital liar are colourful, if not trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Delighted with how the result is shaping up. Higgins will be a fantastic ambassador for this country. I have no doubt about it. The man is full of passion, dignity, pride in his country, he has a strong moral compass and he speaks his mind. He is exactly the type of person who deserves to be our president.

I would be sick with embarrassment if that snake-oil salesman cute-hoor chancer Dell Boy Gallagher was the public face of this country.

cornbb wrote: »
    Delighted with how the result is shaping up. Higgins will be a fantastic ambassador for this country. I have no doubt about it. The man is full of passion, dignity, pride in his country, he has a strong moral compass and he speaks his mind. He is exactly the type of person who deserves to be our president.

I would be sick with embarrassment if that snake-oil salesman cute-hoor chancer Dell Boy Gallagher was the public face of this country.
    We only the the word of convicted criminals that that is so. You evidently prefer to believe them over a man that isn't even accused of a crime.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Was there a court case and what was the outcome ?

This is a new one......link ?

Already discussed.

So is Dessie O'Malley, but he left as soon as he encountered the corruption. So this point is irrelevant.

No court case as the law in Nicaragua is any member of parliament is protected from the law, he then waited for the time limit for a prosecution to pass before he said he would drop the immunity he had so in effect he still could not be prosecuted, the government paid her $200,000 .
    http://www.unwatch.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=bdKKISNqEmG&b=1316871&ct=3221763
    That is one of our new President's friends, the people of Honduras protested when Ortega visited their country due to him being an incestuous paedophile.

Our new blind president refused to mention Arafat's support of suicide attacks - http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/20041111084651.html
    http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67444 at the candlelit vigil for a terrorist.

About FF, I see nothing wrong with anyone being a member of FF but it was put by someone else there was in regards to Gallagher.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah come on take your beating :p

I have no beating to take.

I think some Irish people were not aware that Higgins came with baggage.

We only the the word of convicted criminals that that is so. You evidently prefer to believe them over a man that isn't even accused of a crime.

Criminal or not, he is a proven liar. His image as a business mogul is completely fabricated. He is not a successful big-time job-creator, he is a small-time wheeler-dealer who associates with dubious people who managed to get on the telly and then deliberately misled the Irish people.

None of this is in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Douglas Hyde, De Valera were both older than Higgins.

But, but, but..... he's short......and he has funny hair.....and occasionally rambles....

Yeah I know that he opposes the illegal israeli occupation which is a bit controversial but it's hardly an issue of character. He's a decent sort an people know it. FFailures seem to think that all politicians are as dishonest as they are.

Decent enough that he claimed Dail overnight expenses while he was actually abroad:

thestory.ie/2011/02/17/over-100-politicians-overclaim-expenses

Or decent enough that he had the second highest expenses in 2002:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/former-ff-minister-tops-dail-expenses-at-pound71000-305173.html

I'm still amazed that nobody picked up on these facts merely because the papers chose not to. But this view of Michael D. Higgins as a lovely little man who fights on behalf of the poor and disadvantaged, is getting a bit thin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Spluttered on my tea at that:D

Me too, hysterical!:D

Douglas Hyde, De Valera were both older than Higgins.

See my response re this already:

We're in a different age now. De Valera was president until 1973. The media was nothing near the force it is now back then. The media has forever changed the role of the president.

Any President now is alot more visibile than when De Valera was president. To me, we're moving back into the era of the President being a retirement job with Higgins' election.

cornbb wrote: »
    Criminal or not, he is a proven liar. His image as a business mogul is completely fabricated. He is not a successful job-creator, he is a small-time wheeler-dealer who associates with dubious people who managed to get on the telly and then deliberately misled the Irish people.

None of this is in question.
    He is not a "proven" liar in my opinion. He didn't recollect all the facts as would any of us for 3 yrs ago. The Frontline debate was stacked against him and smacks of a carefully orchestrateds trap. I think the strong rural vote for Gallagher in rural Ireland reflects the more discerning rural vote, while the urban vote reflects a tendency there to be brainwashed believe the Establishment media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Such bad losers the Right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Such bad losers the Right...

Rural diserening- please vote for SG cos his mam lived here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

About FF, I see nothing wrong with anyone being a member of FF but it was put by someone else there was in regards to Gallagher.
    You appear to be a mouthpiece for FFailure on Boards.ie, so you will excuse us if we are not astonished by this revelation.

The rural vote wasn't *that* strong for Gallagher... You're right, Sinn Fein did pull a stunt on Monday night, but the fact remains that they revealed the truth - Gallagher is a liar wheeler-dealer, of the crooked Fianna Fail tradition. He went from "I did not collect a cheque" to "I don't remember picking up a cheque". We've had so much of this crap from old-school politicians over the years, you really believe that nonsense?

He is not a "proven" liar in my opinion. He didn't recollect all the facts as would any of us for 3 yrs ago. The Frontline debate was stacked against him and smacks of a carefully orchestrateds trap. I think the strong rural vote for Gallagher in rural Ireland reflects the more discerning rural vote, while the urban vote reflects a tendency there to be brainwashed believe the Establishment media.
    That's amusing. What is more establishment in this country than FFailure? I'd be delighted if Gallagher lost this election due to the type of stroke politics that FFailure have used since God was a lad.

No court case as the law in Nicaragua is any member of parliament is protected from the law, he then waited for the time limit for a prosecution to pass before he said he would drop the immunity he had so in effect he still could not be prosecuted, the government paid her $200,000 .
    http://www.unwatch.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=bdKKISNqEmG&b=1316871&ct=3221763
    That is one of our new President's friends, the people of Honduras protested when Ortega visited their country due to him being an incestuous paedophile.

Our new blind president refused to mention Arafat's support of suicide attacks - http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/20041111084651.html
    http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67444 at the candlelit vigil for a terrorist.

Ortega as presidenent of nicaragua set about redistributing the wealth of the county - the actor known as ronald regan, the guy with alzeimhers who was president of america at the time did not like this and decided to attack ortega arming the contras. did you forget that bit love.

i KNOW you are just mad that michael d is president because he refereed to an american tea-partyite as a WAN*ER. More of that kind of stuff Michael D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There's little doubt any longer that this election is Michael D's. A decent man and I congratulate him. Congratulations also to David Norris, who would have made an excellent President and is being so gracious in defeat. I originally intended to vote for him, but that was before Sinn Fein - always my first choice - nominated a candidate, and yesterday I went 1 MMG, 2 Michael D and 3 Norris.:D

Gallagher nearly sneaked his way into the Aras, a FF wolf from the Dragon's Den in an independent sheep's clothing, but in reality a chameleon.:rolleyes:

It was only towards the end that the mask slipped and he began to play the usual predictable mudslinging game, even digging up the late Garda McCabe and trundling out his tiresome, vengeful, limelight-hogging widow.:(

What a pleasure to see Martin give Gallagher a thorough lamping on the Frontline! He saved Ireland from being hoodwinked into electing that recycled & rebranded FF bagman and can now go back to his important work in the North. I hope that all we ever hear from Gallagher again is two words: "I'm out!"

I hope one of Michael D's earliest visits abroad is to Chile, where there are several towns and cities, a province and countless streets named after him, and all the coins bear his name.:)

See my response re this already:

oh were in a different age now are we? Try telling that to the "McGuinness-the Dragon Slayers' haters. ye can't go pulling out that line when it suits ye. :p

You appear to be a mouthpiece for FFailure on Boards.ie, so you will excuse us if we are not astonished by this revelation.

I guess you lack an argument and I am no mouthpiece for anyone but myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Delighted for Higgins. After what he did for Norris, he was guaranteed my #2. True gent.

I guess you lack an argument and I am no mouthpiece for anyone but myself.

Have a look back at your posting history. It tells a story.

I have no argument with Michael D. Higgins becoming president of this country, you have that much correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I proved one thing and its something everyone has always knowing,
    The Sinn Féin are master at an ambush, Its like they have being Practice for 40 years. :-).

Give It 6 Weeks and Morgan will check his record and remember that its wasn't gallagher that got the cheque. The problem is no-one will care and Sinn Féin will keep there head down for a few week and avoid the fallout. With statement Like:

"well we were taking Mr Morgan at his word"
    And " i don't think this was an issue for the election"

So how long will it before Mr Morgan Statement is hidden in page 6 of some newspaper.??

Best of Luck To Michael D. I voted for Him, He'll do a great job for us.

• Advertisement

Ortega as presidenent of nicaragua set about redistributing the wealth of the county - the actor known as ronald regan, the guy with alzeimhers who was president of america at the time did not like this and decided to attack ortega arming the contras. did you forget that bit love.

i KNOW you are just mad that michael d because he refereed to an american tea-partyite as a WAN*ER. More of that kind of stuff Michael D.

So we should ignore this man sexually abused his 11 year old stepdaughter, a man that Higgins championed and continued to be friends with after the sexual abuse claims came out and which Ortega did everything to avoid justice. Then Michael D Higgins has him over to Galway for tea.

I don't support American tea parties. So we have a president who calls others ****, pity he was unable to say that to Arafat or the people in Hamas.

From MDH's website
    I was extremely delighted to learn that Michael D Higgins of the Irish Labour Party is running for the Presidency of Ireland and that he is, in fact, leading in the polls. This is great news.
    Michael is a man I have known for several decades now and I have always had great respect and admiration for his love of Ireland, his integrity and his total dedication to the promotion of the common good and justice for all.
    Michael D is the kind of person that Ireland, Europe and the rest of the world need to have steering Ireland ever more in the direction of universal peace and justice, as well as international solidarity.
    by
    Miguel d'Escoto Brockman - Ministerial Adviser to Preisdent Daniel Ortega Saavedra for Foreign Affairs and President UN General Assembly 2008 - 2009
    http://www.michaeldhiggins.ie/news/campaign/2011/10/07/miguel-descoto-brockman-endorses-michael-d/

It is disgusting that Higgins thinks it is good to have people appointed by a child sexual abuser supporting his campaign.

I proved one thing and its something everyone has always knowing,
    The Sinn Féin are master at an ambush, Its like they have being Practice for 40 years. :-).

Give It 6 Weeks and Morgan will check his record and remember that its wasn't gallagher that got the cheque. The problem is no-one will care and Sinn Féin will keep there head down for a few week and avoid the fallout. With statement Like:

"well we were taking Mr Morgan at his word"
    And " i don't think this was an issue for the election"

So how long will it before Mr Morgan Statement is hidden in page 6 of some newspaper.??

Best of Luck To Michael D. I voted for Him, He'll do a great job for us.
    FFailure have confirmed that they received a cheque as claimed by Morgan. There's no point in trying to spread disinformation at this stage, the election is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

He could prove to be a really good President. He showed during the so called debates that he has a really funny and witty side to him and also a bit of devilment, which is nice. Well done Sir, well done indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

So we should ignore this man sexually abused his 11 year old stepdaughter, a man that Higgins championed and continued to be friends with after the sexual abuse claims came out and which Ortega did everything to avoid justice. Then Michael D Higgins has him over to Galway for tea.

I don't support American tea parties. So we have a president who calls others ****, pity he was unable to say that to Arafat or the people in Hamas.

From MDH's website

http://www.michaeldhiggins.ie/news/campaign/2011/10/07/miguel-descoto-brockman-endorses-michael-d/

It is disgusting that Higgins thinks it is good to have people appointed by a child sexual abuser supporting his campaign.

Ortega is as much as child sexual abuser as you are.

Does the concept of innocent till proven guilty (or democracy) mean anything to you?

Have a look back at your posting history. It tells a story.

I have no argument with Michael D. Higgins becoming president of this country, you have that much correct.

I say what I believe, not what others say.

You voted for Higgins, that was your choice, it does not mean I have to believe this nice fluffy version of Higgins that some want to believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement