Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

President Higgins

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

This is an outrageous slur on the fine man who has been elected by the people of Ireland in a transparent democratic manner.

I try never to 'gang up' on a poster but darkman i agree strongly with Hugo and feel you have let yourself down badly with your remarks about Michael D.

Never mind an Irish election you would have to dig very deeply to find a man of his calibre anywere in the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Congratulations etc etc.

But why are the dopey media going on about a record number of votes??? It was the last bloody count, of a 7 candidate election! It was people's fifth preferences that got him past the post. Surely one can only compare successive presidential election "records" by reference to first preferences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

For most of the eighties in coalition with FG, when unemployment rose steadily up.

Early 90s with FF Mid 90s with FG.

Higgins was a TD during all of this time, yet did he achieve that much?

And who was the main proponent of the anti coalltion stance within the labour party???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

And who was the main proponent of the anti coalltion stance within the labour party???

Why did he not resign from the party? Or, when they went in with FF, which upset a lot of Labour's recent voters?

He had plenty of years to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

darkman2 wrote: »
    I trust he will be capable of keeping his mouth shut when he meets a US president or is he going to call him a "wanker"? He is anti American. And I can guarantee right now that is the message from the wires in the US embassy going to the Obama administration.
    Erm, he called a Tea Partier a 'w***er' right? If that's the case, Obama & co. would love the guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

It was Michael Graham he was referring to as a wanker. He has a guest slot with George Hook every Monday or Tuesday....

Must admit that Graham is a very annoying git....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Graham_(radio_personality)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Erm, he called a Tea Partier a 'w***er' right? If that's the case, Obama & co. would love the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

kyote00 wrote: »
    It was Michael Graham he was referring to as a wanker. He has a guest slot with George Hook every Monday or Tuesday....

Must admit that Graham is a very annoying git....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Graham_(radio_personality)

one of the finest pieces of radio Newstalk have ever produced:

http://www.newstalk.ie/2010/news-blog/the-right-hook-michael-graham-and-michael-d-higgins/

20 mins of pure gold... Michael Graham getting taken apart from President Higgins - got my vote on the back of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Billy86 wrote: »

Must we have such language on our screens?

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Hugo Brady Brown

language? would you prefer a drawing depicting 'wanker'?

language? would you prefer a drawing depicting 'wanker'?

Would that be Hobson's or Sophie's Choice? If it were necessary for me to be a guide to civilized behaviour, I would be inclined to suggest that nothing is served by either form of abuse in the appalling choice offered above. But, I suppose, that's me being civilized and others being .... well, I leave it up to you to fill in the blanks.

'Up we must grow', as the grammarian said.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement

Would that be Hobson's or Sophie's Choice? If it were necessary for me to be a guide to civilized behaviour, I would be inclined to suggest that nothing is served by either form of abuse in the appalling choice offered above. But, I suppose, that's me being civilized and others being .... well, I leave it up to you to fill in the blanks.

Hugo Brady Brown

bollox! wanker is a perfectly reasonable work to use.

bollox! wanker is a perfectly reasonable work to use.

Ah, Demosthenian oratory, I see!

An education certainly has not been wasted there.

Hugo Brady Brown

Ah, Demosthenian oratory, I see!

An education certainly has not been wasted there.

Hugo Brady Brown

abso-wobblybits-lutely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hugo Brady Brown

Well yes, if one is to accurately report Higgins' description of the individual in question, then such language must be used.

Einhard wrote: »
    Well yes, if one is to accurately report Higgins' description of the individual in question, then such language must be used.

I find it hard to imagine a gifted poet, a profound scholar and a former senior parliamentarian using language of that kind, unless provoked by the most unreasonable forces. And, even if it were true, God forbid, now that the people have by a majority placed the mantle of Presidential decorum on his shoulders, it behoves us all to close our eyes and ears and memories to such linguistic slips.

I imagine that, if the report has any basis in fact, it will have been a misinterpretation of something macaronic said by the President-elect, since he is equally at home in the first official language as he is 'a second official language', while some of our journalists have less facility in the first official language, to their shame.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I find it hard to imagine a gifted poet, a profound scholar and a former senior parliamentarian using language of that kind, unless provoked by the most unreasonable forces. And, even if it were true, God forbid, now that the people have by a majority placed the mantle of Presidential decorum on his shoulders, it behoves us all to close our eyes and ears and memories to such linguistic slips.

I imagine that, if the report has any basis in fact, it will have been a misinterpretation of something macaronic said by the President-elect, since he is equally at home in the first official language as he is 'a second official language', while some of our journalists have less facility in the first official language, to their shame.

Hugo Brady Brown

Sigh. It is true. There is documentary evidence in this very thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Hugo Brady Brown

Its in the you tube video already posted. I hesitate to repost it for your delicate ears.

Yahew wrote: »
    Its in the you tube video already posted. I hesitate to repost it for your delicate ears.

Thank you: I have, with some difficulty, sought it out, and the President-elect is superb in argument, making mincemeat of the tendentious line being advanced by his much less gifted, ill-informed, clearly spottily-educated and hectoring opponent. And I think that in the heat of the moment, under such fierce provocation (and, I would suggest, 'trollling'), it is actually to his credit that Mr Higgins spoke the language of the street, since it was understood by his audience. I, of course, had to look the word up in my Shorter Oxford, but I would argue that such terms, while acceptable in occasional usage orally, do not belong on electronic paper. And, as we say in the scholarly community, 'context is all'.

It is a pleasure to be able to look forward to a person of such intellectual ability going to the Phoenix Park again. Presidential elections are becoming the triumph of the intellectuals, from Mr Obama onwards.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

HugoBradyBrown for president!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

We could make Hugo a moderator first. That'd sort out the txtspeakers, grammar challenged posters, ad hominems, cursers, and those of us with less than a 2.1 from Trinity.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    HugoBradyBrown for president!!

Unfortunately, I understand that there will not be a vacancy even seven years from now. It has been made known that Mr Ahern has decided in principle to accept the presidency then, when his term as executive Mayor of Dublin comes to a close.

Maybe next time, though.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Hugo Brady Brown

This is all getting a bit smutty now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I am very happy that Michael D Higgins is our new president. I think he will be a good voice for the people of Ireland as a whole rather then just the political establishment. We have one of the most inequitable societies in the developed world and I think Michael D Higgins will be a voice for a fairer and more equitable Ireland.
    I like also the fact that he is fluent in Irish

Advertisement