Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih tzu stood on something

• 28-10-2011 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Was out in the garden earlier and our 2 year old shih tzu was rooting around in the bushes. Next thing i hear a big yelp and she is limping. Her back pad/paw was bleeding (a good bit ). So i took her up to the bath to get all the blood off her and see if there's anything in it. I couldn't find anything, but she is still limping an hour later. Should i just wait a bit longer as she is licking it now and then herself. Or should i bring her to vet asap? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

If there's nothing visibly stuck in it then just leave her to lick it and heal herself. The licking will promote healing and she should be fine in no time. Cuts to dogs paws seem to heal extremely quickly. She will limp for a few days but usually only when you are looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks furtzy. Think there might be a nail/claw missing. I'll leave it for a while then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Thanks furtzy. Think there might be a nail/claw missing. I'll leave it for a while then.
    It would take an awfull lot of pressure to pull out a nail so i doubt she did tbh. Id second what furtzy said about leaving her to it but ill add salt and water is great for helping them heal and to keep it clean, dab it with luke warm water and a bit of salt an she should be back to normal in no time!

Just did that with salty warm water and if she's still limping in the morning, i'll bring her to vet. thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Keep an eye on her, she could of stepped on a thorn that might of embedded itself right in to the paw check for tiny holes in the foot. Warm salt water is great for cleaning up paw wounds, if the foot swells or it becomes more painful have the vet have a look in case there's something stuck right in there, check in between the toes as well.
    Sometimes dogs step on dying wasps n stuff could she of been stung?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say she was stung judging by the amount of blood that came from her paw. The bushes are in the communal garden for all residents here. Probably broken glass lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my collie cut his paw on broken glass in the park about a year ago - no blood but he was limping and obviously in pain. The vet had to anaesthatise him and stitch it. Best get it checked out to be sure.

Hope she's feeling better soon :)

Bringing her to vet in an hour or so. Still limping.:(

Went to vet and her claw was gone from her back leg. He gave her 2 injections and a couple of days tablets. She is looking better already, even though she still wont put her foot down.

Advertisement