Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interactive mapping software

Options
  • 28-10-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. What I am hoping for is software than can be used to plot locations on an existing historical map(s) (currently in jpg and tif format). Then a user could select a location from a list and after selecting a location would be taken to the corresponding spot on the map. You can see what I'm on about on sites like OSI.ie.
    Does anyone how this is done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You can take the image, find gps co-ordinates that correspond to each corner and just work it out mathematically...

Scrolling the image is easy enough too, you just work out the ratio of pixels to coordinates. Is this what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hmmm . . . not sure if that's what I'm after. Basically what I want to do is use a map to plot where old lanes and streets are today. Many of them are no longer in existence or have had their names changed. The idea is that a user would visit the map page on the website and say if they were looking for 'Joe Bloggs Lane' they could select it from a drop-down list and then it would take them to the location on the map where the lane was (is).

Advertisement