Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very dry and course hair

• 28-10-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi as the heading says I have very dry and course hair. Mostly due to the fact I have to put in a permanent colour every 8 weeks due to the speed my grey roots come through :(
    Does anyone have any recommendations of products that would help give me back lovely shiny hair (hopefully ones that are not too expensive)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I have naturally very dry and coarse hair and Lush Retread is the best conditioner I've found for it, after years of trying different ones. Some people don't like the smell but I love it.

Do you towel dry your hair a bit before putting conditioner in? I've only started doing that recently and my hair is softer than it's been in ages, even my other half has stopped called it "the nest" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I used to use Aussie 3 minute Miracle and thought it worked good! The smell doesn't appeal to some people though!

There's apparently a few natural hair masks that you can make up, google it and try it out if you have the guts! :P

Leave in conditioner might help a bit too? I find that if you spray some on your hairbrush, turn your head upside down and brush it through the ends, is better than spraying it straight into your hair so it's not all on one spot!

L'oreal do some tubs of intensive treatments, just beside the shampoo and conditioner. Not sure if they're any good though, just remember seeing them!

Good luck, hope you find something soon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Two really good hair products that aren't too expensive are the Osmo deep repair mask and the Vo5 miracle concentrate.

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Osmo-Essence-Intensive-Deep-Repair-Mask-250ml

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268419757
    This is €6.99 in Tesco at the moment but should be cheaper in places like superdrug and boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

any deep conditioner would help improve your hair, but for full affect you would want something that is high in protein which will help reconstruct your hair, if its very dry it will become or maybe already is very brittle. I use Kerarin Protein Conditioner, and I find it works wonders. Although with Protein you should only use it once every 2 weeks as your hair can become immune to the protein and reject it. So inbetween I would tend to use Aussie miracle.
    Also little things will always help, avoid hair straighteners, anything with heat and washing your hair max 2 times a week, any more than that and your drying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭magicray

I will second lush retread conditioner, same as you I have lots of grey hairs so dye mine every 6 weeks too, retread conditioner is fantastic - you hair wont feel really soft when its wet but as soon as you dry it it will feel brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Geranium40

rain on wrote: »
    I have naturally very dry and coarse hair and Lush Retread is the best conditioner I've found for it, after years of trying different ones. Some people don't like the smell but I love it.

Do you towel dry your hair a bit before putting conditioner in? I've only started doing that recently and my hair is softer than it's been in ages, even my other half has stopped called it "the nest" :)

Hi
    thanks for advice, will definitely try this. do you know where I can buy it, is it only in Lush shop, or does anyone else stock it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

427403_l.jpg

TresSemmé hair masque (above) is really good. My hair can get really dry from time to time (I go through phases of dying the bejesus out of it, using the hair dryer all the time etc) and it works wonders. Use it like a regular conditioner (that is, put it on in the shower, leave for a minute and rinse!)

If you are looking for really deep conditioning, put it in washed, towel dried hair (so damp!), stick a shower cap or something on your head, leave it for a while (I usually go with about 30 minutes) and rinse - lovely, soft hair! You can get it in most supermarkets and it's not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

427403_l.jpg

TresSemmé hair masque (above) is really good. My hair can get really dry from time to time (I go through phases of dying the bejesus out of it, using the hair dryer all the time etc) and it works wonders. Use it like a regular conditioner (that is, put it on in the shower, leave for a minute and rinse!)

If you are looking for really deep conditioning, put it in washed, towel dried hair (so damp!), stick a shower cap or something on your head, leave it for a while (I usually go with about 30 minutes) and rinse - lovely, soft hair! You can get it in most supermarkets and it's not too expensive.
    DONT USE TRESEMME ON DYED HAIR.....

it practically strips the colour making it very dull.
    charles worthington is really good, mineral rescue i think its called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

You could try some Flaxseed oil from the health shop, but it into the ends of your hair and either wrap in a heated towel, or put it into a shower cap and go to bed, wash it out in the morning. I've had years of dying my hair, and this works for me.

Also, Moroccan Oil works nicely but it's a bit dearer than the flaxseed oil and also, Almond oil. Essentially anything with oil should help soften it up! Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Geranium40 wrote: »
    Hi
    thanks for advice, will definitely try this. do you know where I can buy it, is it only in Lush shop, or does anyone else stock it?
    Thanks

I don't think anywhere other than Lush would sell it - you can buy it from their website though I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hey - 2 very cheap options (I always get compliments on my hair and people asking me what products I use :-) and I swear by using these:

Olive oil - massage in - leave in for an hour or two.

Rosemary oil - as above, massage in and leave in for an hour or two.

Usually requires 2 washes of shampoo and remember to condition as well after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

booboo88 wrote: »
    DONT USE TRESEMME ON DYED HAIR.....

it practically strips the colour making it very dull

I totally agree when it comes to their standard shampoos and stuff, but the leave in masque is fantastic and doesn't strip the colour at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mila07

I recommend you a good hair product that can help you with that, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector and it works amazing, protects the hair from any damage, strengthen the hair and keeps it shiny, soft, frizz less and healthy. Hope this helps :D
    :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Organix do a great shampoo/conditioner with Argan Oil in it.

Organix-Renewing-Moroccan-Argan-Oil-Shampoo-Conditioner-Review-Pictures-smaller.jpg

It's sulfate free to so kind to your colour, but the downside is it doesn't lather much.

I'm a huge fan of L'oreal Elvive in the pink bottles, it leaves my hair so soft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I haven't tried this masque yet but it looks really good for dry hair.

Advertisement