Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People changing their vote because of Gallagher incident

• 28-10-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭

Details from RTE:
    1250 According to the poll, majority of voters say the recent controversy surrounding Gallagher affected their decision - 35% said it impacted "a lot", and 20% "a little".

45% say it did not impact on their decision at all.

1249 More than a quarter of voters changed their mind about who to give their first preference vote to in the final week of the Presidential campaigning - with Gallagher losing more than half of those.

According to a Red C Recall Poll for RTÉ News, 28% of voters switched their first preference in the final week, of whom 58% switched from Gallagher, the vast majority opting to support Higgins instead.
    38% of those polled said they finally decided who to vote for in the final two to three days of the campaign, with another 13% deciding last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

The smears worked then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

The smears worked then.

There was no smear.

MMG simply made a statement, and then sat back and watched SG hit the self-destruct button.

SG could not help himself from talking. The more he said, the clearer it became that he was a liar and a FF bagman. SG has no-one to blame but himself.

And, SG was made aware of this issue re Morgan on the Thursday before frontline when quizzed by a reporter. He really should have been better prepared, but I suppose it is hard to keep track of all that you have said in a campaign if it has not been 100% of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

The smears worked then.

if you mean truth - ya it worked.
    the truth hurts - gombeen gallagher is in PAINNN right now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

The smears worked then.

Yeah,
    F.G. Attacked Norris when he was at the top. they thought his vote would go to them, It didn't. its got split up between MDH And SG.

Gallagher was on top and SF thought they better do something so this is what they came up with.

Its was a great Idea, They leaked a bit of the story to the press early,
    So everyone was waiting for it, them in the middle of a TV debate. They Leaked there version.

Not even SF could have known What Pat Kenny was going to do.

But for 600,000 euro a year, no brain and an un-official twit to go on. He produced a car crash. "Veronica Guerin and other Journalist who have died for the truth must be turning in their grave"
    No need to "Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible." Or "Identify sources whenever feasible. The public is entitled to as much information as possible on sources' reliability."

The following morning statement from Mr. Morgan through his solicitor,
    I read it, Its Said that Mr Morgan handed a cheque to SG. Followed by a statement that Mr. Morgan would be unavailable further comment until the election was over.
    But within Two hours everyone who followed the election knew Gallagher goose was cooked.
    Great to watch.

I’m a very Proud Irish man, I love this county and its people. But I’m so disappointed that an Irish election could descend into what I saw over the last few months.
    Personally, I don’t Blame any of the polite party, there job is to get as many votes as possible by any means necessary,
    But the standard of journalist in this county is shocking,
    I have a very quick look online and found this http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

I think the National Union of Journalists should look into rewriting there ethics to improve the standards of journalist in this county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Gallagher simply did not stand up to any scrutiny as a man of integrity, ethical or moral fibre, and crumbled at the first attack. Good riddance to the plastic independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Yeah,
    F.G. Attacked Norris when he was at the top. they thought his vote would go to them, It didn't. its got split up between MDH And SG.

Gallagher was on top and SF thought they better do something so this is what they came up with.

Its was a great Idea, They leaked a bit of the story to the press early,
    So everyone was waiting for it, them in the middle of a TV debate. They Leaked there version.

Not even SF could have known What Pat Kenny was going to do.

But for 600,000 euro a year, no brain and an un-official twit to go on. He produced a car crash. "Veronica Guerin and other Journalist who have died for the truth must be turning in their grave"
    No need to "Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible." Or "Identify sources whenever feasible. The public is entitled to as much information as possible on sources' reliability."

The following morning statement from Mr. Morgan through his solicitor,
    I read it, Its Said that Mr Morgan handed a cheque to SG. Followed by a statement that Mr. Morgan would be unavailable further comment until the election was over.
    But within Two hours everyone who followed the election knew Gallagher goose was cooked.
    Great to watch.

I’m a very Proud Irish man, I love this county and its people. But I’m so disappointed that an Irish election could descend into what I saw over the last few months.
    Personally, I don’t Blame any of the polite party, there job is to get as many votes as possible by any means necessary,
    I have a very quick look online and found this http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

I think the National Union of Journalists should look into rewriting there ethics to improve the standards of journalist in this county.

Poor Gallagher, my heart breaks for him.

By the way can I ask you what you make of the fact that Gallagher, 'the community worker and volunteer', was charging GAA clubs 5K to fill out some forms? Basically doing f-all except using his political influence to ensure they got the grant? The worst kind of cronyism. It is disgraceful that FF has inflicted this kind of sh1te on our society. In order to get anywhere you have to pay off the FFer. They wrecked the country with this crap while enriching themselves. Gallagher is a disgrace portraying himself as a community worker volunteer when it turns out he was actually making handy cash off the backs off the real volunteers who go out to fundraise for their local GAA clubs.

Gallagher is FoS and came out with countless lies over the course of the campaign. Good riddance to this loser. He can now add failed Presidential candidate to his CV alongside failed businessman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes and sent it first thing to Independent House. 27 – 32 Talbot Street. Dublin 1. Ireland. Switchboard: Telephone: +353 (0)1 705 5333 as there one sided bias & coverage plus reporting were disgraceful.

Advertisement