Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else happy with the Dana/Davis vote?

• 28-10-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Both dismissing the polls before the election (Dana's D4 poll comment especially telling) and both polling almost exactly those numbers come the election.

I sincerely hope we've seen the last of Dana in elections, but she may upset me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Dana certainly wouldnt be happy with her vote. But that wont stop her from running again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was hoping she'd finish ahead of Mitchell, though obviously not for her sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nodin wrote: »
    I was hoping she'd finish ahead of Mitchell, though obviously not for her sake.

Yeah, I was hoping Mitchell wouldn't get his deposit back tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I just hope neither get their expenses back, we had enough of also-rans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There was no sympathy vote for Dana thankfully.

I do hope Davis finishes above her.

Dana will blame the D4 media bias, anti-Catholicism and a "family" dispute on her poor showing. She was on 6% at the start of the campaign, so she really can't use those excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I really can't see that happening.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I really can't see that happening.

Hopefully not, competence should be above gender

glad about dana myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

she ame third in 1990 just goes to show how little time people have for the religous candidate these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hopefully not, competence should be above gender

glad about dana myself

True enough, but one thing I have to give her credit for, she was the only candidate to bring people's attention to the payment that we are giving to unsecured Anglo bondholders next week.

Not a peep out of the others.

Gene Kerrigan put it well
    Only Dana alluded, with crude anti-EU verbiage, to the circumstances in which this election is being held. Ryan Tubridy wielded a stock question, designed to allow the candidates express their passivity. Would you, he wanted to know, refuse to sign a Bill that you opposed?

The standard answer was, "Oh, no, poor little me, I'd just be a rubber stamp." Dana raised an eyebrow. If it impugned the Constitution, she said: "You bet your boots I would."

That would mean a constitutional crisis and devil the bit of harm that would do. At least it would get us talking about what is being done to us in the name of protecting the German and French banks and shoring up the euro.

It still wasn't enough to make me give her a vote though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gene Kerrigan put it well
    Gene Kerrigan hasn't a clue what he's talking about. If she refused to sign it, it would be sent to the Supreme Court. They would find it constitutional or unconstitutional. If it's constitutional, her reason for refusing to sign it is gone. If it's unconstitutional, it's struck down. It wouldn't be anything close to a constitutional crisis

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Godofhellfire

I'm very disappointed with the dana and david result because they got some votes, I wanted them to get none. In fact I wanted them to not run at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm very disappointed with the dana and david result because they got some votes, I wanted them to get none. In fact I wanted them to not run at all.
    Nah, now they're both out €200,000, and got a clear signal they're not good enough to run for public office. And Dana's been outed as delusional to a whole new generation. Win-win tbh

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

28064212 wrote: »
    Nah, now they're both out €200,000, and got a clear signal they're not good enough to run for public office. And Dana's been outed as delusional to a whole new generation. Win-win tbh

The public purse getting 200k back from both the Quango Queen Davis and Dana gives such a warm feeling :)

Edited to clarify I ment the public purse saving money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Venom wrote: »
    The public purse getting 200k back from both the Quango Queen Davis and Dana gives such a warm feeling :)

They wont be giving anything back to the state; they just wont get the money at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gallagher eventually concedes

http://www.facebook.com/seangallagherforpresident?sk=wall
    In the last hour I've called Michael D. Higgins to congratulate him on his performance and his success in this election. He will have my full support as President and I sincerely thank him for a positive campaign. His slogan stated that he would be a President to be proud of and I believe he will be that President.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Given her 1997 vote, Dana is the bigger loser of the two, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

nesf wrote: »
    I sincerely hope we've seen the last of Dana in elections, but she may upset me.
    Of course she will. No one could be so delusional as to run with such little support unless their lord and saviour had appeared to them in a burning bush telling them to do so... could they!? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

Sleepy wrote: »
    Of course she will. No one could be so delusional as to run with such little support unless their lord and saviour had appeared to them in a burning bush telling them to do so... could they!? :D

Dana and burning bush in the same post isn't an appealling image :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dana will be back, God loves a trier

She has failed in elections before then but most candidates fail at some stage
    She will be back next time around. Probably go for TD or MEP in the meantime. Though Galway West rejected her already, maybe try further north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Poor Mary Davis will come out of this badly bruised, I think she has become the public lightning rod for anger against the insider quango board member class. I'm sure her disappointment will be sated by a few more appointments.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy, but I think she deserves better than to be outpolled by Dana and the provo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to Dana's campaign manager on Radio 1 earlier, she's seriously considering running as an MEP again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

According to Dana's campaign manager on Radio 1 earlier, she's seriously considering running as an MEP again.

This is more attention seeking. She'll get a few inches in the papers because of this suggestion.

Dustin said the only reason Dana got involved in the race was due to the fact that the All Ireland Talent Show was axed. There's probably a lot of truth in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Given her 1997 vote, Dana is the bigger loser of the two, IMO.

I wonder what the average age of Dana voters was in 1997, and how many of them are still alive...

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

hmmm wrote: »
    Poor Mary Davis will come out of this badly bruised, I think she has become the public lightning rod for anger against the insider quango board member class. I'm sure her disappointment will be sated by a few more appointments.
    I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I could never warm to this woman. Was it the awful election posters, her scrawny frame, her sour face that could crack into a fake smile in an instant?
    All I know is that if you put the TV on mute and watched her talk about some serious topic, you'd swear she was gushing about a new pair of shoes.
    Zero gravitas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I could be wrong but I think the real reason the Mary Davis campaign failed was the people subconsiously didn't want to create a situation where the only way you could get elected was to be named Mary.

I also suspect Dana was secretly waving a Bible about instead of the constution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

Even the most ardent feminist cannot complain about this result,the people of the Republic voted women in three times over twenty one years.

it really was down to their own failure to win us over as credible candidates.
    no more,no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gave her my #2.
    Dana loves #2's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

There was no sympathy vote for Dana thankfully.

I do hope Davis finishes above her.

Dana will blame the D4 media bias, anti-Catholicism and a "family" dispute on her poor showing. She was on 6% at the start of the campaign, so she really can't use those excuses.

The only thing that prevented me giving her a sympathy vote was the fact she had ruked herlslf out by taking out US citizenship. So much of the criticism of her was irrational that I was inclined towards sympathy though I didnt vote for her in the last Pres election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah, I was hoping Mitchell wouldn't get his deposit back tbh.
    He doesn't get his deposit back, does he? - I thought you needed 12.5% of the vote (not a deposit anyway, it's election expenses)?

Btu he wouldn't have paid anything anyway - he was the FG candidate - they paid for his campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dvpower wrote: »
    Btu he wouldn't have paid anything anyway - he was the FG candidate - they paid for his campaign.

True but I want the kick in the teeth to happen to the FG grassroots who insisted on nominating him when anyone with an ounce of sense could see that he was by far the weakest of the three for the nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

if she had any sense of reality she would have gone as rosemary scallan, now who the fcuk would try to do her in, the report to the keystones, the returning of the tyre to the factory, complete bullschite, then again she lives in galway, she had a car reg in dublin, why not a galway car.

Advertisement