Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap but decent Primer

• 28-10-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

I have used a sample Nars one and I think it seems to keep my makeup on longer.

No way can I afford the Nars one though, does anyone know of a cheaper one that does the job?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 discoshaz

L óREAL do a primer called studio secrets which is getting great reviews. Havent used it yet but intend on getting it, its about €20.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm thinking of getting it too! I haven't used a primer before, but I got a free sample of the Loreal Studio Secrets in a magazine and it makes my skin feel really nice, seems to be a good base for make-up too.

I was going to try Smashbox, since that's the one everyone recommends, but might go with a cheaper one first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

I wasnt mad on the Loreal primer, or the Smashbox one either!
    Best ones I found were Inglot or Fuschia (fuschia is an Irish brand, they have a shp in drogheda but I know you can order off them online)
    Or Gosh is quite good too.

Always always use a foundation brush to put on your foundation, it WILL make your base last way longer. I used to find half my make up gone after about 2 hours, started using primer and noticed a difference, started using a foundation brush as well...and now I never even have to top up with powder during the day/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've got one by inglot which is quite good. Would normally use Smashbox but couldn't afford €37 for it so got the inglot one for €20. It's not oil free however, though it hasn't broken me out. You need very little too to get good coverage and doesn't have the annoying decides-when-it-will-and-won't-work pump that all the smashbox ones seem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

The avon primer has been getting good reviews recently, haven't tried it myself but seems to be a decent one!

primer+avon+magix.jpg

Has anyone tried the Make up Forever HD primers????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I find the 17 Primer in Boots to work fine and is only like 6 or 7 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

I use Laura Geller Spackle - Originally bought in NY a few years ago but have been buying from www.qvcuk.com - I try to buy the supersize bottle as it lasts for ages and works out at about €30 incl P&P (http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.221821/walk.yah.UKHB~U065)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I currently use the Gosh velvet touch foundation primer and find it good. I tried some samples of the Smashbox one though and thought it was much better then the Gosh. The Smashbox one is around €30-€40 though, the Gosh one is around €15.

I don't know which NARS one you used, but ASOS sell NARS and it's a bit cheaper than buying directly from NARS or buying at a make up counter.

http://www.asos.com/Nars/NARS-Summer-2011-Pore-Refining-Primer/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1636061&cid=12778&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Refining+primer

http://www.asos.com/Nars/NARS-Skin-Smoothing-Face-Prep/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1569206&cid=12778&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Face+prep

With ASOS for more expensive purchases I tend to buy in Sterling than in Euros as it works out cheaper.

For example the NARS Summer 2011 primer is £24 Sterling, but when you change the currency to Euros it's priced at €31 Euros, yet on PayPal £24 Sterling works out at €28 Euros.

ASOS also do free shipping to Ireland.

I bought the Loreal one today. They have a €4 off promo in Boots.

I was set try try the No. 7 primer, as I had a voucher, but I rubbed some of it on my hand and it just started rubbing off in little clumps, like I had dry skin or something! It was a strange texture, so gave it a miss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I actually bought a No. 7 primer 'cause I had a voucher and I know what you're saying, Malari. Texture isn't great, but if you apply it with a brush, it's fine. When I rub it on my hand, it's sort of flaky and chalky but if I put it on my face with a brush, no problems.

I use Smashbox primer myself. The tube seems to last ages so I don't particularly mind spending money on it. However, I would buy No. 7 again 'cause it's grand and with a voucher, it is cheap as chips.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I actually bought a No. 7 primer 'cause I had a voucher and I know what you're saying, Malari. Texture isn't great, but if you apply it with a brush, it's fine. When I rub it on my hand, it's sort of flaky and chalky but if I put it on my face with a brush, no problems.

I use Smashbox primer myself. The tube seems to last ages so I don't particularly mind spending money on it. However, I would buy No. 7 again 'cause it's grand and with a voucher, it is cheap as chips.

Oh, ok! Might try it another time then. I'll see how I go with Loreal. It's non-oily and has a nice silky feel. I don't think I'd be using it every day, just when I know I want to avoid face slippage by evening time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

discoshaz wrote: »
    L óREAL do a primer called studio secrets which is getting great reviews. Havent used it yet but intend on getting it, its about €20.

Hope this helps :)

+ 1 million for L'oreal Studio Secrets. It is A-MAZ-ING!! My holy grail product! My skin feels so soft when I use it. I use it under my foundation but also use a sweep of it over my foundation along my T-zone to stop oiliness and to keep my powder in place! My make up looks fresh all day when I use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I've been using the Gosh Foundation Primer Classic for the last number of weeks and I love it. The texture is really smooth and it glides on easy...a little goes a long way. I have an oily t-zone and my make up stays on perfectly all day, not a hint of oil. It makes taking my make up off at night much easier too.

Like a previous poster said, it's good if you cant afford much, I think mine only cost 15 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Bought the Loreal one in boots today, currently something like 4.90 off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I use clarins beauty flash balm, not sure of price as i have had it literally ages!
    Would recommend it as its very nice!
    +1 for the foundation brush too though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Silly question but, do you put on primer after you moisturise yeah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

yep, after you moisturise!

Advertisement