Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipod touch v mp3 player

• 28-10-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I'm looking to get audio device for my 10yr old for xmas. There's currently a good deal on ipod touch in argos but just wondered if they're a bit too high spec for 10yr old, would I be better with a sony or creative zen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Get anything other than an Ipod touch, the competition is far better value & you don't have to faff about with rubbish programmes like Itunes. The only reason for buying Apple devices (in this matter anyway, not all their products are overpriced tat, just most of them) is if you value style over substance (which being a ten year old he may well do but you can help to correct that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

ye stay clear off apple. creative have better sound
    go with the sanza its way cheaper and really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Custardpi wrote: »
    Get anything other than an Ipod touch, the competition is far better value & you don't have to faff about with rubbish programmes like Itunes. The only reason for buying Apple devices (in this matter anyway, not all their products are overpriced tat, just most of them) is if you value style over substance (which being a ten year old he may well do but you can help to correct that).

Where did she say it was a son? Might be a daughter.

The iPod touch is a great device. They are one of the most popular gaming platforms out there, so that would make it doubly well received. It has a camera so can take photos and even HD movies. It also allows Internet access and browsing via WiFi. It can be used to display videos also (if in the right format!)

It is way more than just an MP3 player, though it is excellent for that purpose also.

Only you can decide if it is too high a spec, but I think the gaming functionality would be a big bonus for a 10 year old.

I bought my daughter an iPod nano for her 10th birthday. She loves it and gets great use out of it. I ended up getting her a speaker dock for it.

If you think your child only wants/needs a music only device, then something like this might be a better prospect cost wise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NWZ-E443K-RECORDING-ABILITY-RECORDER-STATION/dp/B003T00TAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319557802&sr=8-1

(iTunes is a great system on a Mac)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Annie22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get audio device for my 10yr old for xmas. There's currently a good deal on ipod touch in argos but just wondered if they're a bit too high spec for 10yr old, would I be better with a sony or creative zen?

Unless your ten year old only wants the thing specifically to play music with I'd recommend you go with the ipod touch, it's a lot more versatile than anything the likes of Creative or Sony will offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

But if you do go for an ipod touch please also pick up a hardcase and one of those screen protector sheets, otherwise one drop screen side down and the glass will smash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

iPod touch would be good for a 10 year old. Obviously if you have Wifi be aware that she could have Internet access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Inflicting iTunes on a ten year old could bring social services around.

I confess that I own an iPod touch and I'd say the kid would probably spend more time using it for games. don't think the are supported on iOS 5 which isn't a big deal for the moment.

Advertisement