Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Gallagher to lead New FF?

• 28-10-2011 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Where next for Gallagher.

No matter what the FF haters think - we do need a strong alternative party and a New FF with the likes of Gallagher and other younger types leading it could offer FG/Lab a run for their money in the next election.

Maybe this was his plan after all and it nearly went too well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dpaulod

maxer68 wrote: »

No matter what the FF haters think - we do need a strong alternative party and a New FF with the likes of Gallagher and other younger types leading it could offer FG/Lab a run for their money in the next election.

That is you Sean isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

No too much crap associated with Gallagher for him to make a good option to head a New FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Eh sorry, who exactly is 'we'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

All he did was fundraise for his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

IF SG is the new FF.....then nothing has changed LOL. People know what to expect with FF...corruption,lies cronyism, etc and envelopes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We don't need a new FF or an old one for that matter, gallagher has shown that he has been taught well by his FF mentors,What we need is a new party to take us away from the sameo sameo political parties we have had since the state was created.

I think the questions over his businesses will cause him more grief in the long run.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    IF SG is the new FF.....then nothing has changed LOL. People know what to expect with FF...corruption,lies cronyism, etc and envelopes.
    Corruption = giving favours for cash. No evidence of that.

I do agree with one thing though: associations with FF remain politically-toxic in this country - past or not. They are in the wilderness like the Tories were in 1997-2010 and UK Labour was in 1979-1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i hope he does lead them - straight off the edge of a cliff. I mean everyone associated with the mere mention FF now will be scrutinised now - Martin showed how to do it. Maybe Martin could write a book on that. Hey he would even create a few jobs for it.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Eh sorry, who exactly is 'we'?
    we = the people of Ireland - or maybe you would like a never ending fg/lab government? - Was the fact that there was crap opposition one of the reasons the previous FF administration got away with ruining the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If Séanie had polled a respectable 3rd or 4th throughout, this might have worked, but Séanie hit the front and drew the spotlight. His cover is blown for good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I would love to see SG as the new FF leader, I really would.

He should probably stick to collecting cheques though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

MM must be sh1ting himself. What wioll the election slogan be?

A lot collected more to collect?

but no problem with murder, violence and bank robbing aka sf/ira?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Wallflower

Jeez, how difficult is it for you to get this into your head?

Nobody gives a toss about his fundraising.

HE IS A LIAR, proven to be so on tv.

Not suitable for President, but I will concede he'd make an excellent leader for FF:)

Business people just give away money for nothing........Buying an audience with Biffo for 5K, to gaze at his handsome countenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Well now there's vomit all over my desk.

Business people just give away money for nothing........Buying an audience with Biffo for 5K, to gaze at his handsome countenance?
    Well the only alternative is state funding of political parties and whose up for that? Election campaigns are expensive.

Labour did the same when they were in govt before according to VB on TV3 a few nights ago.
    Alleged not proven. McGuinness is a proven liar about his membership of the IRA after 1974. McGuinness changed his story too. Why is that not lying? Because he's a Leftie! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

nesf wrote: »
    No too much crap associated with Gallagher for him to make a good option to head a New FF.

Nesf has his eye on the job ;)

my friend wrote: »
    Nesf has his eye on the job ;)

Hah, I'm trying to decide whether to join my local FG cumman at the moment actually...

• Advertisement

Well the only alternative is state funding of political parties and whose up for that? Election campaigns are expensive.

Labour did the same when they were in govt before according to VB on TV3 a few nights ago.Alleged not proven. McGuinness is a proven liar about his membership of the IRA after 1974. McGuinness changed his story too. Why is that not lying? Because he's a Leftie! :rolleyes:

As per the other thread "Is Sean Gallagher telling lies?" you were unable to keep on topic. I'll give you a hint to that one the answer was yes. It seems the vast majority of the country agree - well I suppose when they watch it live, its pretty conclusive.

This thread is about Gallagher possibily leading FF - I think he could, as he has exhibited many of the qualities associated with their recent leaders:).

The last time I checked McGuinness wasn't being considered as leader of FF so as usual spouting on about him on a thread that is not discussing him is a bit of a waste of time and energy.

but no problem with murder, violence and bank robbing aka sf/ira?:rolleyes:

sure t'was the bankers themselves that were robbin the banks :D:D:D
    and sure t'was a member of FF that funded the "murder" and "violence"
    so I'd say try again.

no, it was to hear him slur a song about potatoes while dribbing a bottle of champagne down his bib. and people are posting about MMD looking too old for president. did they ever take a look at what was voted in as taoiseach after "walk on the back of my pants" Ahern(ia) was made to get out.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

we = the people of Ireland - or maybe you would like a never ending fg/lab government? - Was the fact that there was crap opposition one of the reasons the previous FF administration got away with ruining the country?

No, the so called ''crap opposition'' is making a better attempt at doing the job now than FF ever would. Within the Irish system there is very little the opposition can do. No I am afraid it was all down to Bertie and his cronies and their bagmen who helped keep them in power.

marienbad wrote: »
    No, the so called ''crap opposition'' is making a better attempt at doing the job now than FF ever would. Within the Irish system there is very little the opposition can do. No I am afraid it was all down to Bertie and his cronies and their bagmen who helped keep them in power.

Lo and behold there he was last night on RTE being interviewed, yet again, one RTE darling interviewing another. Revolting. Still no Mahon report after all this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

we do need a strong alternative party and a New FF with the likes of Gallagher and other younger types leading it could offer FG/Lab a run for their money in the next election.

The fact that you think Fianna Fail are a strong alternative party to FG/Labour leads me to believe you're knowledge on these political parties is low.

Fianna Fail are no strong alternative to Fianna Gael. They never were and they never will be. They are basically the same in principle and policy, barring the fact that Fianna Gael werent at fault for the corruptness of the last 30 years.

You need to look abroad if they thought about your opinions on these parties they would laugh in your face.

We are too conservative in this country. The fact Gallagher nearly made Taoiseach says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Wallflower wrote: »
    Jeez, how difficult is it for you to get this into your head?

Nobody gives a toss about his fundraising.

Not suitable for President, but I will concede he'd make an excellent leader for FF:)

How was he proven a liar on tv? It was put to him by Pat Kenny, from a fake SF twitter account, that someone was going to go to the media and confirm that he collected a cheque while delivering a photo Morgan. Gallagher said while he has no recollection, of something that happened 3 years ago, its possible that he could have collected it. Then it turns out this was impossible, because the cheque had been cashed before the event. Didn't stop the papers quoting it as fact though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

a couple of 5k's to organise a couple of sports grants for a couple of GAA clubs says differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wallflower wrote: »
    As per the other thread "Is Sean Gallagher telling lies?" you were unable to keep on topic. I'll give you a hint to that one the answer was yes. It seems the vast majority of the country agree - well I suppose when they watch it live, its pretty conclusive.

This thread is about Gallagher possibily leading FF - I think he could, as he has exhibited many of the qualities associated with their recent leaders:).

The last time I checked McGuinness wasn't being considered as leader of FF so as usual spouting on about him on a thread that is not discussing him is a bit of a waste of time and energy.

Ah leave the FF stooge alone :)

He has to try and derail these threads to try and hide the truth about the level of corruptness in the FF party and its dodgy associates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How was he proven a liar on tv? It was put to him by Pat Kenny, from a fake SF twitter account, that someone was going to go to the media and confirm that he collected a cheque while delivering a photo Morgan. Gallagher said while he has no recollection, of something that happened 3 years ago, its possible that he could have collected it. Then it turns out this was impossible, because the cheque had been cashed before the event. Didn't stop the papers quoting it as fact though

Dobbo asked him on six one news if he ever requested money from people he didn't know for FF, he said no. Dobbo asked him did he know Hugh Morgan, he said no. Dobbo asked him if he asked Hugh Morgan for money, he said yes. Dobbo asked him again if he every asked people he didn't know for money, he said no. :confused:

How come after he first denied any knowledge of the man(Morgan), then when pressed a bit later cited about him being a fuel smuggler and the rest. Lie followed by truth? In the end regardless of the twitter account, the man was real, and the 5K was real, but SG denied it from the start, so lies and lies.

Sean Gallagher's stated position was that he had no involvement with FF, while he may have attended functions and fund-raisers he never solicited any money.

On six-one news he conceded he solicited money. FACT, he lied. As well as soliciting he was alos involved in clloection, now, whether he collected the cheque before or after is neither here nor there.

His apologists are scrambling around looking for a loop-hole in terms of a detail of some sort.

There is more....but I'm tired pointing it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

He is on record as saying he never solicited money for Fianna Fail. He now admits he did solicit money. Brian Dobson in particular nailed him on this very point during the week. So he is a proven liar. AND he lied about Hugh Morgan saying he had been investigated by CAB when he hadn't. That is a serious false allegation to make and he may yet be up in court over that.

He also lied when he kept going on about his community volunteer work and then we found he out he was charging GAA clubs 5K to fill in grant forms. Cronyism at it's worst. That counts as a lie in my book. Im sure FFers see nothing wrong with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

dulpit wrote: »
    Dobbo asked him on six one news if he ever requested money from people he didn't know for FF, he said no. Dobbo asked him did he know Hugh Morgan, he said no. Dobbo asked him if he asked Hugh Morgan for money, he said yes. Dobbo asked him again if he every asked people he didn't know for money, he said no. :confused:

Haha, yea, that was another lie he got nailed on by Dobbo.

He is on record as saying he never solicited money for Fianna Fail. He now admits he did solicit money. Brian Dobson in particular nailed him on this very point during the week. So he is a proven liar. AND he lied about Hugh Morgan saying he had been investigated by CAB when he hadn't. That is a serious false allegation to make and he may yet be up in court over that.

He also lied when he kept going on about his community volunteer work and then we found he out he was charging GAA clubs 5K to fill in grant forms. Cronyism at it's worst. That counts as a lie in my book. Im sure FFers see nothing wrong with it though.

They are positive qualifications for FF.... the FF candidate does not fall far from the rotten tree.

• Advertisement

How was he proven a liar on tv?

Any further clarifications, don't hesitate to ask.:)

As you can see there are many people here more than willing to spend their time and energy to provide you with the information you seek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

When someone is handing over cheques to a political party from 'business men' for face time with politicians and they then obtains hundreds of thousands of euros in grants from sources under the control of that political party I suspect corruption.

Some people consider this to be 'just how the world works' or 'standard business practice' but I don't, I think it's sleazy and corrupt. However anyone who sees no problem with that sort of activity should have no problem with it being made public. If there's nothing wrong with it what difference does it make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I do agree with one thing though: associations with FF remain politically-toxic in this country - past or not. They are in the wilderness like the Tories were in 1997-2010 and UK Labour was in 1979-1997.

To me corruption is also getting cash for favours or small "community" jobs like Seanie did i.e. filling in grant application forms for G.A.A. clubs and getting 5 grand for each. Especially when you have connections in F.F. to make sure the applications are successful. That's corruption in my eyes. "Come to me and for 5 grand i'll make sure you get your grant "

The people of Ireland should make sure that corruption does not pay regardless of which party it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I hope Hugh Morgan replaces him on Dragon's Den.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

By 'Fianna Fail haters' i presume you mean 'citizens of ireland'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I've no problem with SG, or anyone, fund raising. He seems to got himself caught up in a series of lies and half truths when in fact there was never any need. He could have simply stated straight up - yes I did this that and the other.

That's just politics and his inexperience of being in that situation. I wouldn't hold that against him and I think in a relatively short period it will have blown over.

If he is to stay in politics then the issues he'll answer more questions over relate to his business:
    • How BES investors were screwed over.
    • The amounts he was simultaneously paying himself in a loss making business.
    • Loans that breached company law.
    • The IDA grants.
    • Contracts awarded by bodies he was on the board of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

nesf wrote: »

Well he does have all the qualifications necessary for the Old ff job.

Ehhh No sunshine.
    No matter how your twisted ff logic says it, it wasn't the fault of the opposition, it was ff and it's connected cronies that got ireland to where it is today.
    Yes you managed to get 40% of the voters to buy into your fairytales and some of them may be suffering today, but it was the likes of the sean gallaghers of this country that got us up the creek without a paddle.
    I see karma actually there.

Should have gone to Specsavers. :D

Labour did the same when they were in govt before according to VB on TV3 a few nights ago.Alleged not proven. McGuinness is a proven liar about his membership of the IRA after 1974. McGuinness changed his story too. Why is that not lying? Because he's a Leftie! :rolleyes:

And this lessens gallaghers lying and twisting of his history how ?

He claimed he was a farmer who bought 20 acres at the age of 21.
    It has been shown he never owned the land and it wasn't even 20 acres.
    LIE. LIE.

So we don't ever need to go near cheques, ff or his so caleld great enterprise to show he is a LIAR.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

FF gained 5% in Dublin West.
    That is highly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Two points :

1 : I thought FF wanted to consign their lies and deception to the past

2 : How can he lead a party that he's not a member of ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Two points :

1 : I thought FF wanted to consign their lies and deception to the past
    Nope - they just want to look like they have.
    2 : How can he lead a party that he's not a member of ?
    By re-defining what "not a member of" means? Oh wait, he already tried that with terms like "active" and "soliciting money" ...

I wouldn't be surprised if Bagman ends up too toxic for FF - I have to admit enjoying the irony of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If they are that crap an opposition, probably best to leave them in power since they aren't doing a bad job there overall :pac:

I'd vote for a new party, I think FF needs to split TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

His supporters on his Facebook page are falling over themselves asking him to lead Fianna Fail.

Craven idiots.

FF and their supporters represent the defective kink in our collective DNA - the one that represents nothing but gombeen parish pump backhander brown envelope deception and barefaced lying and treachery.

They are a blight on the political landscape and deserve to be driven across the land like rats.

thebman wrote: »
    If they are that crap an opposition, probably best to leave them in power since they aren't doing a bad job there overall :pac:

I'd vote for a new party, I think FF needs to split TBH.

If they were decent opposition, they would hve got into government years ago. FG are a party in disaray - the infighting and splits in the party are crazy. Gombeen Kenny only got FG in due to FF being shunned by all but hardcore FF people - not because he was particularly good himself.

FG need to wake up to this and FF desperately need a complete remake with a load of new faces and get back to their roots. - I was revulsed at FF in the past few years, but I'm on the centre right of the political divide and only FF / FG have the political ideology I favour, but I still don't think Kenny is any good whatsoever - Noonan on the other hand is superb as was the late Brian Lenihan. As for haughey, cowen, aherne & mccreevey - they had their pockets and their cronies pockets at the heart of policy, but that does not and should not prevent a new FF emerging sans all of those involved in the errors of past years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Back to the hole he crawled out from op ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

RonMexico wrote: »
    His supporters on his Facebook page are falling over themselves asking him to lead Fianna Fail.

Craven idiots.

FF and their supporters represent the defective kink in our collective DNA - the one that represents nothing but gombeen parish pump backhander brown envelope deception and barefaced lying and treachery.

They are a blight on the political landscape and deserve to be driven across the land like rats.

I'd be happy to see FF go extinct but that's a bit harsh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement