Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

corklad32 wrote: »
    Any idea how long it took to get from Amazon to viaddress? My package seems to be at the PO in Indiana or wherever viaddress are based since Dec 2...

Yup,

Shipped from amazon on the 2nd, arrived on the morning of the fifth. that was over a weekend though.
    took about 6 hours for viaddress to register it in their system. Then took another 12 hours for them to ship it.

Id drop them an email about that. Your package should have been registered the same day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

iknorr wrote: »
    Yup,

Shipped from amazon on the 2nd, arrived on the morning of the fifth. that was over a weekend though.
    took about 6 hours for viaddress to register it in their system. Then took another 12 hours for them to ship it.

Id drop them an email about that. Your package should have been registered the same day
    Balls. Mine shipped from Amazon on the 30 Nov and is stuck in the USPS depot since Dec 2nd. Great fun i'm sure trying to sort that out...On the tracking page on Amazon it's showing it scanned into the USPS depot on the second but didn't leave it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Balls. Mine shipped from Amazon on the 30 Nov and is stuck in the USPS depot since Dec 2nd. Great fun i'm sure trying to sort that out...On the tracking page on Amazon it's showing it scanned into the USPS depot on the second but didn't leave it yet.
    send them an email or call them and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

vibe666 wrote: »
    vibe666 - what kinda money was viaaddress charging for 11Kg?

Did those using viaaddress use the option to be able to declare your own value on the packages? Their FAQ indicates this is an option when multiple deliveries are repackaged.

Thanks for all the info! Seems like a good service.
    this was the charge (as reported by paypal) for postage from viaddress to Dublin.

$253.75 (€195.44) Exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1.29835 U.S. Dollars

the repackaging took about 5 days in the end, but the bigger box with the toy in was pretty big, so they just slipped the kindles into it and sealed it up again (with no outer box, just the display box with the toy in) and when they were done, a new single repackaged item appears in your viaddress account, with a blank description, quantity & price, which you just fill in however you want.

i just put the description of the toy on it and it's actual value of $125 and that was that, so not only did i get away with customs & vat charges on $300 worth of kindles, but i didn't even get charged for the toy either, so all in all it wasn't all that bad and made up for the extra cost of shipping the large box.

Hey Vibe

Which company did you set up your US phone number with ?. I'm thinking about a Skype online number.

Hey Vibe

Which company did you set up your US phone number with ?. I'm thinking about a Skype online number.
    everyone keeps asking me that, but i didn't set one up and they never asked me to. i set up my account around the 2nd week of december.

not sure why they're suddenly demanding a phone number now.

EDIT: just checked my account and the only number i have listed with them is my irish mobile number. it just lists the sipgate and one other) option to sign up with a us phone number, but i've never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Hey Vibe

Yeah I just put my Irish mobile number on this and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

everyone keeps asking me that, but i didn't set one up and they never asked me to. i set up my account around the 2nd week of december.

not sure why they're suddenly demanding a phone number now.

EDIT: just checked my account and the only number i have listed with them is my irish mobile number. it just lists the sipgate and one other) option to sign up with a us phone number, but i've never bothered.
    garion wrote: »
    Yeah I just put my Irish mobile number on this and had no problems.

Yeah I set up the account on Viaddress with my Irish number. It's just they said you need to set up a US number for the ordering from the US sites. Thats what I was wondering :)

Yeah I set up the account on Viaddress with my Irish number. It's just they said you need to set up a US number for the ordering from the US sites. Thats what I was wondering :)
    i think it's only if you are ordering from sites that us the USPS (US Postal Service) for delivery, as you need to fill out a separate form for that to enable viaddress to accept packages from the USPS on your behalf and i think it's that form that requires a US phone number to complete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

this was the charge (as reported by paypal) for postage from viaddress to Dublin.

$253.75 (€195.44) Exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1.29835 U.S. Dollars

the repackaging took about 5 days in the end, but the bigger box with the toy in was pretty big, so they just slipped the kindles into it and sealed it up again (with no outer box, just the display box with the toy in) and when they were done, a new single repackaged item appears in your viaddress account, with a blank description, quantity & price, which you just fill in however you want.

i just put the description of the toy on it and it's actual value of $125 and that was that, so not only did i get away with customs & vat charges on $300 worth of kindles, but i didn't even get charged for the toy either, so all in all it wasn't all that bad and made up for the extra cost of shipping the large box.

Nice one! I like the idea of using the repackaging service and writing your own shipping label as it allows you to be loose with the figures... we better not talk too much though as mr customs may be listening!

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Nice one! I like the idea of using the repackaging service and writing your own shipping label as it allows you to be loose with the figures... we better not talk too much though as mr customs may be listening!

Thanks for the info.
    yep, just try not to get caught out by the dimensional weight thing though, or it could cost you more than you'd otherwise have saved. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Do the ones in Tesco come with a charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Tayla wrote: »
    Do the ones in Tesco come with a charger?

No but it comes with a usb cable so you could just charge it from a compurer or laptop. You can buy a charger separately if you want though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Battery in the Kindle lasts a long time, and will charge fairly quickly, also if you have a Nintendo DS/ HTC phone/ Sony erricson phone, the same charger works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Do Tesco Dundrum still have these Kindles?

yep, just try not to get caught out by the dimensional weight thing though, or it could cost you more than you'd otherwise have saved. :)
    Mine is on the way thankfully! Viadress received it yesterday and will ship today. So mine (kindle touch) cost €113 for the touch + €33 shipping total €146. To get the bog standard off amazon direct including shipping costs €122. Not sure if you save much but the reason i got it via viaddress was the touch isn't available outside the states

• Advertisement

Mine is on the way thankfully! Viadress received it yesterday and will ship today. So mine (kindle touch) cost €113 for the touch + €33 shipping total €146. To get the bog standard off amazon direct including shipping costs €122. Not sure if you save much but the reason i got it via viaddress was the touch isn't available outside the states
    same here. i got a kindle touch for my dad and a kindle fire for my wife and neither of them are available in europe this side of xmas, so they are pretty exclusive gifts. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

jc2008 wrote: »
    Do Tesco Dundrum still have these Kindles?

I was in there on Tuesday evening. They had some Kindle Keyboards, but no Kindle 4's. They keep them behind the customer service desk on the left as you go in.

Think i've been nabbed by customs... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jacket111001

Just ordered from Amazon and using viaaddress.
    When do you pay viaaddress for shipping after the goods arrive?

Thanks in advance

Just ordered from Amazon and using viaaddress.
    When do you pay viaaddress for shipping after the goods arrive?

Thanks in advance
    €33 if you go for the slower delivery with UPS or Fedex. Think it was an extra €5 for the quicker option

• Advertisement

Just got my package.... and no customs charge! Absolutely delighted. It spent the day yesterday with customs but still came through unscathed.

Total cost worked out at E84 per Kindle Touch and E170 per Kindle Fire. Not too bad at all! Thanks for the tip on viadress Vibe! :D

Just got my package.... and no customs charge! Absolutely delighted. It spent the day yesterday with customs but still came through unscathed.

Total cost worked out at E84 per Kindle Touch and E170 per Kindle Fire. Not too bad at all! Thanks for the tip on viadress Vibe! :D

How did you get a touch for €84? The cost off amazon is €113 and then the viadress postage?

What was your description and the price you put on the package?

Also, did u get viaaddress to repackage it?

How did you get a touch for €84? The cost off amazon is €113 and then the viadress postage?

Touch was $99 (ad enabled one). Shipping through viaddress (along with other items) worked out around $11. Came to E84 after conversion rates etc.

What was your description and the price you put on the package?

Also, did u get viaaddress to repackage it?

Yep I asked them to re-package it and put a description of "Computer Components" on it and a value of $119.99.

That said, looking at the box at the moment and there's no value or description visible on it. Unless FedEx had it on a shipment slip or something?

Touch was $99 (ad enabled one). Shipping through viaddress (along with other items) worked out around $11. Came to E84 after conversion rates etc.
    You did well! i saw the ad enabled one but i said id go with the other one. I think i saw somewhere you can remove the ads if you're handy enough with computer stuff.....Postage was great i paid €33 - i didn't take the repack option as it was a present for someone but if i get anything else for myself ill definitely repack it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Can anyone confirm whether the Kindle with Keyboard + 3G + Wifi + Special Offers allows full international browsing over 3G (not just Wikipedia & Amazon sites).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

I know Amazon don't ship these 'Special Offers' units to ROI, I'll be buying it Stateside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can anyone confirm whether the Kindle with Keyboard + 3G + Wifi + Special Offers allows full international browsing over 3G (not just Wikipedia & Amazon sites).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

I know Amazon don't ship these 'Special Offers' units to ROI, I'll be buying it Stateside.

Unless, they've changed it (unlikely) since the release of the new kindles, you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I use the Kindle Keyboard and it works fine on all websites with 3G; mind you it's an awful device for browsing.

How long are the packages staying in Custom clearance in dublin ( on the fedex shipping page)

Mine has been there since yesterday....i think im caught!

• Advertisement

Mine stayed from 8am on Thursday until the 6.30am on Friday. Was sure I was caught too but came through fine. Maybe I was just lucky though! Good luck! :)
    How long are the packages staying in Custom clearance in dublin ( on the fedex shipping page)

Mine has been there since yesterday....i think im caught!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Unless, they've changed it (unlikely) since the release of the new kindles, you should be fine.
    This is incorrect. The new kindles don't have free web browsing over 3G like the old ones did.

Mine stayed from 8am on Thursday until the 6.30am on Friday. Was sure I was caught too but came through fine. Maybe I was just lucky though! Good luck! :)

Cheers , ill update when i get an update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

daveyjoe wrote: »
    This is incorrect. The new kindles don't have free web browsing over 3G like the old ones did.

But they haven't stopped the older models browsing the full internet on 3G, which was the original question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Can anyone who got the fire confirm if it's good, working as it should etc etc?? Was going to get a kindle 4 but debating weather to go with the fire or not???
    Any reviews appreciated.

mel123 wrote: »
    Can anyone who got the fire confirm if it's good, working as it should etc etc?? Was going to get a kindle 4 but debating weather to go with the fire or not???
    Any reviews appreciated.
    yep, works as it should, although i haven't played with it much as it's actually an xmas pressie for my wife. :)

afaik fully featured custom roms are imminent, so even if it wasn't it would still be a good buy if you reflash it to a custom rom with full (i.e. not just an amazon sales tool) tablet functionality. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

mel123 wrote: »
    Any reviews appreciated.

The fire will sort of work in Ireland, not very well just yet.

The basics of Android will work but it wont allow Kindle purchases yet. You wont be able to do anything on the net as everything goes through Amazon US's proxy, AFAIK that includes purchases on the Market.

To load any apps/apks you need to transfer everything over USB (or connect it to a VPNed wifi)

Untill its been rooted and modded its not worth it, wait till after xmas.

Edit
    Oh and amazons current Fire warranty wont support any faults if you take it out of its region, if it goes faulty you'll need to pay to sent it back to the US and to call the US support line. Then if/when they need send a replacement, they wont send to an address outside the US.

When its released for international, full warranty will be covered and make your life a whole lot easier :)

Cheers , ill update when i get an update!

Mine arrived today.

No customs whooohoooo!

Mine arrived today.

No customs whooohoooo!

Fair play. Was about to buy a new watch earlier on amazon.co.uk and noticed the same one for 1/2 price on amazon.com. Should work out about 25% less even after shipping.

Will let ye know if I make it through customs again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Are any of the Irish shops offering a trade in price for an older ebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Anyone use viadress for items of higher value? Up round 1000$?
    (sorry for going of topic!)

Got mine yesterday - lovely piece of kit and the touchscreen is good - if you can afford the difference between the regular and the touchscreen i would go with the touch but you wont get one delivered from the States before xmas now. The screen is the same on both anyway and is very good. I would be well happy with either as a present.

D16TURBO wrote: »
    i bought 3 items totalling over $400, but that's about it so far. a kindle touch, kindle fire and a large kids toy and they repackaged them all for me and slipped the kindles into the bigger box free of charge. :)

D16TURBO wrote: »

Mine came to $700 (repackaged and marked as $130) and I had no trouble with customs. Also, just bought a watch through Amazon.com and delivered by viaadress and it came through customs no problem either.

100% success rate so far for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Mine came to $700 (repackaged and marked as $130) and I had no trouble with customs. Also, just bought a watch through Amazon.com and delivered by viaadress and it came through customs no problem either.

100% success rate so far for me anyway.
    i bought 3 items totalling over $400, but that's about it so far. a kindle touch, kindle fire and a large kids toy and they repackaged them all for me and slipped the kindles into the bigger box free of charge. :)

Well I bit the bullet and got the items ordered. They wont be here in time for Christmas but that's my fault.
    If it works out it'll be worth the wait.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I bought one in PC World Mahon yesterday @ €109

It was displayed in the security box bundled with a case/cover for an extra €40 :eek:
    I kindly said I just wanted the kindle itself.

Funny enough, I say it later that day in Tesco Douglas selling for €110 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I just wanted to know, what is the exact reason behind amazon.co.uk not delivering kindles to Ireland? Seems funny that they happily sell all kinds of electronic brands but won't sell their own gadgets to us.

I just wanted to know, what is the exact reason behind amazon.co.uk not delivering kindles to Ireland? Seems funny that they happily sell all kinds of electronic brands but won't sell their own gadgets to us.
    because the kindle is primarily a tool for selling ebooks from the amazon store and amazon.co.uk don't have the publishing rights to sell them outside the UK and the easiest way for them to manage the expectations of their customers in regards to that is to not even sell the device itself from the UK to other countries, but instead from it's international US store.

i should probably qualify that statement as an opinion rather than fact, but that's my understanding of it from what i've seen and heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

How much are kindles in tesco? I can't find them on the tesco website?

• Advertisement
Advertisement