Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone/iPad RTE Player App.

• 28-10-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

RTE showed a very brief viewing of their upcoming iPhone and iPad App for the RTE Player at the Dublin Web Summit. There seems to be general changes coming to the Web Player too. But still doesn't sound to be the same standard as the BBC iPlayer.

Video is near the bottom of the page:

http://www.rte.ie/news/dublinwebsummit/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Dont use it that much, but will be a welcome addition. The continuous play feature is interesting. Like the way she casually mentions 'if you are watching Masterchef at work on your PC' like its a normal thing to do at work! Maybe it is in RTE..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

About Time!

Listened to the video but no mention of a release date! Any guesses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    About Time!

Listened to the video but no mention of a release date! Any guesses
    Shouldn't be long, sounds like it's ready to be released. It may already be in Apple's approval stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

They said it'll definitely be out before Christmas, IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

About time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Well, the release recently of the rebranded Radio Player was clearly stage one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

No doubt it will be over wifi only, removing most of the good of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

Christmas is coming very soon and no sign of Rte Player App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Curious as to the intended 'target audience ' for some of these TV streaming sites on RTE TV3 BBC etc.
    Are they intended for emigrants overseas or just citizens back home in Irl or UK who are catching up on weekly shows 'whilst driving home'?

Would be interested to know how Irish emigrants in USA, Canada , Aussie-NZ get along but residing in Hong Kong invariably cannot get Irish /UK tv streaming with messages such as content not available / allowed in the area you reside.
    If intentional block from RTE / TV 3 then why is that or what's the whole purpose then? Because of China up North?

Surely like ShortWave Radio of olden days, this modern technology should be a service to all emigrants too if not primarily!

BTW, no problem with RTE Radio reception on current Radio Player through home WiFi or Smartone telecom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I have no idea why RTE block their own shows abroad but they do block 3rd party shows abroad usually due to licensing agreements

• Advertisement

Thanks Trevor.
    Good point and I should clarify that homespun shows such as Late Late, the recent Presidential Debates, IDA Businessman of Year on RTE plus the Apprentice Season 4 2011 all failed to playback.
    Using Real Player or Windows Media Player - tried on several PC and laptop, Windows XP or 98.

Nil fadhb ar bith leis an Radio Eireann ach ceapaim go feichfidh muid
    'feich -all' ar an RTE telefis anseo.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I have no idea why RTE block their own shows abroad but they do block 3rd party shows abroad usually due to licensing agreements

Many RTÉ in-house shows are clearly flagged "worldwide".

They cannot show programmes such as "Eastenders" outside of the 26 counties.

Curious as to the intended 'target audience ' for some of these TV streaming sites on RTE TV3 BBC etc.
    Are they intended for emigrants overseas or just citizens back home in Irl or UK who are catching up on weekly shows 'whilst driving home'?

Would be interested to know how Irish emigrants in USA, Canada , Aussie-NZ get along but residing in Hong Kong invariably cannot get Irish /UK tv streaming with messages such as content not available / allowed in the area you reside.
    If intentional block from RTE / TV 3 then why is that or what's the whole purpose then? Because of China up North?

Surely like ShortWave Radio of olden days, this modern technology should be a service to all emigrants too if not primarily!

BTW, no problem with RTE Radio reception on current Radio Player through home WiFi or Smartone telecom.

I don't really understand the points you're making here.

All these services in all these countries are "catchup" facilities for the citizens of that country to be watched within their own jurisdiction. As a general rule, they are not for consumption outside the home territory.

Therefore I use BBC iPlayer all the time on my iPad in Belfast - it won't work as soon as I hit Dundalk. Ditto for the France Télévisions app, which does not function outside of the French State.

RTÉ are unusual in that they do allow viewing of some of their own content, such as the Late Late Show on a worldwide basis though whether this will be available on the RTÉ Player app is another matter. At the moment, I can certainly watch it on my PS3 in Belfast.

BBC, for example do not supply or allow their BBC News app to function outside the UK and have a dedicated global version of iPlayer for the rest of the world on the iPad platform.

Nevertheless, I expect the RTÉ Player app to be available on a global basis with the existing two-tier facility to continue -full content within the State and a cut-down service outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't understand this either, many a time I've wanted to watch a GAA game or an Ireland qualifier game and all I get is content not available. The problem is that there is no where else to get it then. I have a decent proxy server I can use, which just shows that their efforts are nothing more than an inconvenience, which begs the question, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Has to do with licensing on the music. They can use any music for free as long as it is for use within Ireland.

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't understand this either, many a time I've wanted to watch a GAA game or an Ireland qualifier game and all I get is content not available. The problem is that there is no where else to get it then. I have a decent proxy server I can use, which just shows that their efforts are nothing more than an inconvenience, which begs the question, why?

Rights. Licence fee.

You live in Germany, you're not entitled.

I can't watch German TV either, without resorting to naughtiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

culabula wrote: »
    Rights. Licence fee.

You live in Germany, you're not entitled.

I can't watch German TV either, without resorting to naughtiness.

But the problem is there is no alternative. It's not like they have sold the rights and I can watch it somewhere else. I would have no problem paying for it like how the BBC has done it for iPlayer, I just don't agree with closing it off and not providing an alternative, be it free or paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

jester77 wrote: »
    But the problem is there is no alternative. It's not like they have sold the rights and I can watch it somewhere else. I would have no problem paying for it like how the BBC has done it for iPlayer, I just don't agree with closing it off and not providing an alternative, be it free or paid.

There is absolutely rights involved when it comes to sport. Its not RTE stopping you from seeing GAA or Ireland international football, its the GAA, FAI, UEFA etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

https://twitter.com/#!/RTEplayer/status/149414871329546242
    The RTÉ Player App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch is available now from the iTunes App Store - available worldwide as a free download!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 posullivan

the RTE player Iphone/Ipad app has just gone up on the App store, free to download, looks good.
    Also works in limited form for those abroad only those news and current affairs and limited others availible.
    hopefully things will improve though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 posullivan

dodge beat me to it....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

Fair play RTE. They launched it as promised before Christmas.

Excellent. Now this is a world class service.
    Just installed the App - the traffic is fairly heavy on "currently showing" due no doubt in part to the flood of people trying out the app. This should stabilize in due course.
    No problem to playback archive material from Mon or Tue etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

"To stream video content you must be connected to the Internet". Surely the iPhone "is" connected to the internet, when it has a 3G signal as I have??

I am assuming you need to be connected to wifi for this to work? If so, the message above needs to be re-worded......

EDIT: ignore my post above - saw this solution in another thread: "If so you need to go into settings and enable 3G streaming. Working perfectly for me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Any word on an Android release from RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Great app so far...Is this really RTE...:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm trying to watch only fools and horses here on 3G in work, but I'm not getting any video feed, only audio! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

im trying to download rte player app but its saying "this app requires ios 4.3?? how do i update? its the iphone 4 thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Downloaded the app, all hunky dory. Only, there's no sound! I can hear music from the iTunes library, and play videos from YouTube,so it's not the iPad. No sound on any of the programmes, with the volume slider up full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Downloaded the app, all hunky dory. Only, there's no sound! I can hear music from the iTunes library, and play videos from YouTube,so it's not the iPad. No sound on any of the programmes, with the volume slider up full.
    Delete app and reinstall,should sort it out.

Advertisement