Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good does Siri work with irish accent?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Can anyone confirm if Siri is working ok with irish accents? I know that some of the features wont work like 'finding a restaraunt close to your location' but does it recognise all the other features like 'read message from Dave' or 'reply to text' and then interprets your speach into text?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to apple media devices.
    please make sure you read their charter.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

woppers wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Siri is working ok with irish accents? I know that some of the features wont work like 'finding a restaraunt close to your location' but does it recognise all the other features like 'read message from Dave' or 'reply to text' and then interprets your speach into text?:confused:

It seems to be working fine I am right this message using Siri soldiers should give you a good indication of how it works

Soldiers should was it should. Not perfect but not bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It seems to be working fine I am right this message using Siri soldiers should give you a good indication of how it works

Siri must be drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I switched it to English (United Kingdom) and shes a bloke. The kids tested him out and he doesnt understand

Fecker
    Gobsh*te
    Get up the yard theres a smell of Benji off ya!

He politely tells me that he cannot find anything on maps outside of the USA but can tell me the weather when location services are on.

Its impressive how he can search the web!

Ask him to marry you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've been using it for 2 weeks now and it's great. Very rarely misunderstands anything for me. There's also a whole rake of funny questions he has answers for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Footman

Bottom line! - have others found it works for Irish accents, or in Ireland, considering a few more hours have elapsed since it was sold this morning.

Apple commented over the phone that there were some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Footman wrote: »
    Bottom line! - have others found it works for Irish accents, or in Ireland, considering a few more hours have elapsed since it was sold this morning.

Apple commented over the phone that there were some issues.

Why do u assume that none of the above do not have Oirish accents?

I find the us English works better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I find the us English works better for me.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Works fine for me except for the odd occasion where it dials somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Very rarely mistakes me and been using it for a chunk of the day. Also, ask it "where can I a body", his response is great. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Works fine for me, I was composing txts and emails without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tell him you love him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Would like for a prompt before it calls somebody though. Otherwise impressed.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Would like for a prompt before it calls somebody though. Otherwise impressed.

It does, says 'Calling *name*'

Yeah but it still calls (can be wrong person)

I really won't notice...when I'm at home it's being charged by the laptop or the wall, then when I'm in the car it's being charged by the cigarette lighter so I never notice

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Thanks for that mate! Looks like it's pretty good! Where r u from or what kind of an accent have you got? Is it a strong accent?

How strong of an accent does everyone else have that's using Siri?

South side Dublin not a very strong accent. Not talking to Siri as if it was another human think I talk too fast for that. But pronouncing words and briefly pausing between them seems to be grand.

• Advertisement

South side Dublin not a very strong accent. Not talking to Siri as if it was another human think I talk too fast for that. But pronouncing words and briefly pausing between them seems to be grand.

Good stuff! I have a Wexford town accent which isn't too strong. The voice control on the iPhone 4 understands me 95% of the time so i so I should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Good stuff! I have a Wexford town accent which isn't too strong. The voice control on the iPhone 4 understands me 95% of the time so i so I should be ok.
    I have a fairly mild Dublin accident find that it's all over the place. I'm typing this using the voice control let's see how it comes to post as a small food and anything else for the confusion.

Posted as is.. What I spoke was nothing like what came out. Could leave this post as a testament to the iPhone voice control interpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

works fine for me! im enjoying using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Does it decrease battery life much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

iRock wrote: »
    Does it decrease battery life much?

I don't think it does, and I'm using it right now to dictate this message. It works pretty well for me.

Anybody know if it matters which voice you use?

Im using U.S english. One because she sounds sexy and I cant ask a man dirty questions and secondly it understanmds me better.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

anyone else noticed how it learns pronounciations?? my wifes names is Sinead which initally it pronounced as sign-add but after 1or2 goes he now says it correctly. this is the only word i've noticed but i'm sure its happened with alot more...
    the more you use it the better it will understand you, and your accent

Was abit dodgy at first, but works perfect with my accent now.(sth DUb)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

DYLF wrote: »
    anyone else noticed how it learns pronounciations?? my wifes names is Sinead which initally it pronounced as sign-add but after 1or2 goes he now says it correctly. this is the only word i've noticed but i'm sure its happened with alot more...
    the more you use it the better it will understand you, and your accent

actually, its not just you. the more irish people use it, the more it will understand the accent, and the names. i tested it with "niamh" yesterday, not expecting it to understand it, but it did.

Advertisement