Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good does Siri work with irish accent?

Options
2»

Comments

Bit childish but when you tell Siri (English guy) to **** off, it says it doesn't understand, flock off....it sounds like it's telling you to do the same.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I thought Siri was disabled in Ireland for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Anyone get 'Aoife' to work? Tried spelling it phonetically (E-F-A) but it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

jamieh wrote: »
    Anyone get 'Aoife' to work? Tried spelling it phonetically (E-F-A) but it didn't work.

Try "ee-fah".

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Figured out reminders today.

Calendar appointments are annoying with SIRI because it cannot set an alarm for the appointment. :(

• Advertisement

Compared my 64gb to mymates 16gb 4s, and the Siri voice is more robotic on mine than my mates one, his sounds more natural.
    All settings the same......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

garlad wrote: »
    I thought Siri was disabled in Ireland for the time being?

its not disabled.. but not fully functional. it cant search for businesses etc in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

2011-10-28-672f1d7.png

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Compared my 64gb to mymates 16gb 4s, and the Siri voice is more robotic on mine than my mates one, his sounds more natural.
    All settings the same......:confused:

Turned Siri off overnight and back on this morning and the british guys voice is now more natural, same as my friends phone, so anyone who gets the robotic voice, it does change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Siri works quite well if you speak slowly and clearly. Sure it's not perfect but you can't expect it to be at this early stage. I find it quite useful as I despise writing text messages. I believe can only get better over time. Written by Siri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

It knows Dearbhla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Apparently the British Siri was voiced by the same guy that does/did the VoiceOver for the Weakest Link. There was a blog post going around about him yesterday. It said that he spent something like 3 weeks in a studio recording about 5,000 phrases. Apple then took his recordings and broke them down into various sound combinations and using an algorithm they can piece together ANY word from rom snippets of what he said, even if he didn't actually record that word.

So it makes sense that if apple has basically every sound combination imaginable, then it would be straightforward enough for its servers to learn new word sounds, so I imagine that's how it appears to "learn" how the user speaks. Clever stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Irish people should probably use the US English setting, not the UK setting. Tonally, Irish people speak much more like Americans than English people. The reason? We pronounce 'r', like the Americans do. The English tend not to. Siri (US setting) has understood me perfectly since day one - I have a neutral Irish accent, btw.

Advertisement